Elder Scrolls Online - Clockwork City Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PC Aficionado has reviewed the ESO expansion Clockwork City:

Elder Scrolls Online: The Clockwork City Review

The Clockwork City is an expansion to the Elder Scrolls Online taking us to a steampunk realm that Dwemer lovers will feel right at home in. The city is constantly moving and taking different forms, clockwork buildings made up of cogs, gears and various other pieces of mechanical contraptions assemble around you. With a large new area to explore and a large quest to embark on. The Clockwork City adds a fantastic new world to explore and interact with.

You were able to explore the Clockwork City before, in the Tribunal expansion of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. However the world has not been seen in this much detail and with such rich story telling before. The world has been created from the ground up and has a lot to discover.
[...]
The Clockwork City is a fantastic addition to an ever expanding game. It bring us a rich new adventure to embark on, as well as many interesting activities to partake such as trials, side quests and new features. The vast amount to do will give you a lot to do and see while exploring the city and will not leave you dissatisfied.

Score: 8.5/10
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Gave the game a shot after it was in the Humble Monthly. It's actually pretty good and many quests are quite interesting. Also a lot of lore for those interested.

Stopped playing after some 20 h because of… people. All the running, jumping chars with dozens of pets behind them completely killed immersion for me. Also extremely limited bag space and overly complex crafting aims to make life uncomfortable for you if you didn't go premium.

If this game had an option to play alone (singleplayer MMO, yeah), I probably would have played a lot longer and might have purchased the expansions.

If this game had an option to play alone (singleplayer MMO, yeah), I probably would have played a lot longer and might have purchased the expansions.

The problem with the current generation of MMOs is not that they aren't singleplayer-friendly, but rather that their multiplayer is done so poorly.

Elder Scrolls Online should not equate to TES VI.

Another problem is the PVE combat is so easy outside of the main dungeons. When you can kill 5 mobs in 4 seconds it kinda gets boring after killing your 10,000 mob.

PvE combat is not easy against harder enemies during the initial stages. It becomes very trivial when you start gaining CP - but that's part of the design.

If you go fighting Elite/Champion mobs in average gear before you're 50 with CP - it can be quite challenging.

Also, I have say that MMOs are probably not meant to be played by people who hate people.

It's a compromise and they can't make the world exclusively for you - because it's not exclusively for you.

However, ESO is the closest thing you get to a singleplayer MMO if you want it to be - and I think it's the best MMO on the market.

It's far from perfect - and a proper TES is obviously going to be better for that kind of experience. But if you want an MMO that's strong in singleplayer terms, you will find none better overall.

I really like the Elder Scrolls games, but that's exactly what kept me from ever trying the online variant: Other people. As soon as they create a single player only ES(not so)O, I'll bite ;-)

I hate other people but still got 60-70 hours out of ESO. It's fun enough to be worth the purchase price; especially if you catch a sale.

Loved LotRO - but I despise the engine. It's too old and clunky at this point.

I can see that. Doesn't matter to me, though.

Pibbur who himself is a bit old and clunky at this point, and not very likely to be upgraded. Or remade.

I can see that. Doesn't matter to me, though.

Pibbur who himself is a bit old and clunky at this point, and not very likely to be upgraded. Or remade.

I used to really adore the game, but I sort of lost interest when it became cash-shop infested.

It didn't help that they had to migrate the server to the US - ruining my ping :(

Still, I've always dreamed of experiencing Moria in that game. Maybe one day :)

Yeah, I tried downloading it. It took hours, and then promptly failed requiring a full download.

Then I found out to play the spellcaster class, you had to buy that class separately.

At that point, I felt, fuck off LOTRO. Why should I pay more for such a crappy service?

ESO is many things, it has good aspects and bad stuff. However I have never been able to play it for more than few weeks. I have even tried to play it on number of different platforms too and its the same issues all the time. I fucking hate the running animation in the game!!! My characters(s) run like they have stick up their arse!!! It give me wired creepy feeling :lol: Maybe I should see a doctor!

Yeah, I tried downloading it. It took hours, and then promptly failed requiring a full download.

Then I found out to play the spellcaster class, you had to buy that class separately.

At that point, I felt, fuck off LOTRO. Why should I pay more for such a crappy service?

Sorry for your troubles. It is - in my not-so-humble-opinion - a very good game. Too bad if things like that prevents you from playing it.

Two questions:
1. Did you install the game through Steam? I can't remember having that much trouble downloading it. At least not for the last couple of years.
2. By "spellcaster", do you mean the Loremaster? That's one of the base classes, and should be available in F2p. AFAIK only the premium classes: warden, rune-keeper (part of the Moria expansion), and the beorning must be bought.

pibbur who is having a gre… oh… said that before. And who just now remembered this is actually a thread about another game.

PS. I'm not trying to convince you to play it. DS.

Last edited:
Runekeeper looks most like a classic glass-cannon DPS spellcaster to me, which is what I prefer.

I was installing using the Turbine installer app. It looked and operated very primitively. Not Steam.

Back
Top Bottom