Exoplanet: First Contact - Update #6

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
A new update for Exoplanet: First Contact has surfaced, detailing what is already available in the game since last year.

It is an important update for us, because in it we have reached not one, but two major milestones, which open big possibilities for the future updates. The characters have received a makeover, with new faces, facial hair customization as well as skin tones. This should help a lot with making them more memorable as well as move away from the feeling that they are identical clones with different hats. The second big change, while invisible to the naked eye, is no less important: the switch of all non-aggressive NPCs to the new AI system, which should finally allow scripting believable behavior in the future updates. We hope that you’ll enjoy playing this update!
More information.

I bought this September last year and it was still very bare-bones. It definitely has potential, but I guess we will have to wait a lot longer for something really enjoyable.

I participated in the Kickstarter for this but as I continue to see updates hit, I shy away from playing it. Perhaps when I don't see an update for several months or so, I may pop in to take a peek.

I participated in the Kickstarter for this but as I continue to see updates hit, I shy away from playing it. Perhaps when I don't see an update for several months or so, I may pop in to take a peek.

I backed it as well, and I regret it. After 5+ years, it's still not beyond the Alpha stage.

It's a shame because the concept is really cool. However, it's obvious these guys don't have the technical know-how or and/or the resources to create a game with the scope and quality that they pitched.

Better than the mandate which went belly up.
The Mandate had so much potential, but promised to many features. I just wish developers where hold to legal binding contracts to pay back the money earned.

There not the first project to burn through there cash flow, and go silent with no answers, but a few workers even claimed they were never paid for contract work.

As for this game it needs a few more years of development to be complete.

Last edited:
Nod, the Mandate could have been a contender. Somehow I got extremely lucky and dodged that bullet.

I didn't. But I felt it was a longshot even when I backed it, it was so damn ambitious.

Yes, The Mandate sounded like my dream game when you read the KS pitch. And I mean that literally!
As the old saying goes: If something seems too good to be true, it probably is.

At least it seems we will get something out of Exoplanet at some point (in the future).

Last edited:
You know better. This is a fundamental contradiction of the kickstarter process. You are not buying a product you are funding the development of a game and sometime it works and sometime it fails.

The problem is that kickstarter has a combination of true indie developers (folks who can invest time for free but need cash for basic 'supplies' and contract help) and aaa wannabee - folks who expect to either provide or find additional outside funding. The fact is games can be expensive (mostly people cost). Look at how much a game like D:OS or P:OE cost to make. We know that for D:OS they spend 2x to 4x what is provided via kickstarter and it is one of the larger kickstarts.

I just wish developers where hold to legal binding contracts to pay back the money earned.

You know better. This is a fundamental contradiction of the kickstarter process. You are not buying a product you are funding the development of a game and sometime it works and sometime it fails.

The problem is that kickstarter has a combination of true indie developers (folks who can invest time for free but need cash for basic 'supplies' and contract help) and aaa wannabee - folks who expect to either provide or find additional outside funding. The fact is games can be expensive (mostly people cost). Look at how much a game like D:OS or P:OE cost to make. We know that for D:OS they spend 2x to 4x what is provided via kickstarter and it is one of the larger kickstarts.
Yes I know better but some developers don't even communicate on why they failed to deliver. Basically this developer took money then made no excuse or explanation why.

The last update was in 2016 about securing more funding.

Link - https://www.gamewatcher.com/news/20...ace-strategy-rpg-the-mandate-seems-to-be-dead

They left the few mods on the forum who are not affiliated with them explain unofficially when the website shut down. Heck the CEO bailed a year before the announcement.

Link - https://www.reddit.com/r/TheMandate/

Back
Top Bottom