Gothic 3 Why i love Gothic 3 and hate Oblivion

Gokyabgu

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor
As a Gothic fan i really love Gothic 3 and hate Oblivion. I think of it why? Here is the answers:
1) Like traditional RPG games, monsters in Gothic 3 have their own level and they do not level with you (Unlike Oblivion where monsters level are determined according to your level). So, you can not go wherever you want with Level 1 character. This gives the player the urge to develop his character to see new locations and solve new quests.
2) Monsters do not spawn in Gothic 3. Cleaning areas from monsters gives the player strong feeling of progress.
3) As a personal taste, i always prefer counting my XP point to a skill base system.
4) Finally, Gothic series' biggest strength is that they can give the player to advance in society and you feel your stature in society in every aspect of the game; something Oblivion can not achieve I'm afraid.

3) As a personal taste, i always prefer counting my XP point to a skill base system.

I agree - although the 'use to progress' system is inherently more logical.

I liked Morrowind and Oblivion, though neither are in my 'personal top 25' games. Gothic 2 is definitely in my top 5. I got my call from EBGames that my Gothic 3 should be in-store this afternoon ...

Guess we won't see you for awhile!! :) I should pick up NWN2 tomorrow as well, but after all this time, I'm still only halfway through G3. I play very slowly and thoroughly!!

1) Like traditional RPG games, monsters in Gothic 3 have their own level and they do not level with you (Unlike Oblivion where monsters level are determined according to your level). So, you can not go wherever you want with Level 1 character. This gives the player the urge to develop his character to see new locations and solve new quests.

The monsters do actually level with the character, it's just they have max levels they can achieve if I am not mistaken. For example a wolf might max out at level 10 meanwhile an orc might go up to 30. I think the Gothic system is optimal as well (short of creating hundreds of different monsters).

4) Finally, Gothic series' biggest strength is that they can give the player to advance in society and you feel your stature in society in every aspect of the game; something Oblivion can not achieve I'm afraid.

I thought oblivion handled this quite well, that NPC's reacted to you in many different ways, like people would call you the Grey Fox once you master the thieves guild and wear his hood. The major problem oblivion had was that every bloody NPC had the same bland conversation options - although you did normally get feedback when you complete a quest for them - I don't see how gothic is any different that this.

These advantages exist for Gothic 1 and 2 as well. I know I've said it before, but Oblivion is vastly improved by Obscuro's Oblivion Overhaul - it was designed to address these very issues. It doesnt quite reach the static levels you've got in the Gothic series but its a great start.

While Oscuro did help make Oblivion a better game it didn't address the problems that bugged me the most. It made the combat harder and more fun, but it didn't address the fact that there were no real consequences to your actions. You could join the thieves guild and make a promise not to kill and then go and join the Dark Brotherhood and slaughter people to your hearts content. Or a pure mage, who never used a weapon once in the game, should probably not be running the fighter's guild. Which makes me wonder with this Knights of the Nine if it'll be possible to be both a knight and a Dark Brotherhood member at the same time since it seems they are supposed to be polar opposites. At least with the Gothic series if you were a Paladin you couldn't be a mercenary and vice versa. There are some limitations to what you can and cannot do.

Untill you get players that bunny hop up and down mountains all day! ;)

I didn't say it worked better in practice :D

It is like in Mage Knight Apocalypse - everything levels up through use, but it brings other stats with it. For example, I was a spellcaster who rarely engaged in melee yet would watch my strength keep increasing ...

A paladin in Gothic 2 can kill as many people as he wants and steal as much as he wants as well...

A paladin in Gothic 2 can kill as many people as he wants and steal as much as he wants as well...

Sort of ... theft is a crime in Gothic, as is murder. Corrupted Paladin's can do that - the game doesn't do any sort of 'fallen' designation. But if you are role-playing at all you won't be doing that - or maybe you will. But unlike in Oblivion, where you can waltz into someone's house and steal all of their stuff while they stand there staring at you ... in Gothic it actually matters, people care about their stuff.

it didn't address the fact that there were no real consequences to your actions. You could join the thieves guild and make a promise not to kill and then go and join the Dark Brotherhood and slaughter people to your hearts content. Or a pure mage, who never used a weapon once in the game, should probably not be running the fighter's guild.

Agreed. This was my biggest gripe with Oblivion, the open-ended gameplay made every character a jack-of-all-trades, with no real penalty for trying new things.

After I saw what the reward was for completing the main quest I stopped playing. It felt like it was tacked on at the last minute by the developers.

After I saw what the reward was for completing the main quest I stopped playing. It felt like it was tacked on at the last minute by the developers.

There was a main quest? Crap I knew I missed something ...

because there weren't 2 dozen other secondary dragons flying around that didn't matter

OK you asked for it! How is killing 4 dragons in any order any better than closing 8 gates in any order?

Personally I liked the wandering around doing miscellaneous junk in Oblivion best - I don't consider it 'story driven' in any regard.

The interesting thing is that with Gothic 3 being much looser in that regard now it is being criticized for some of the same things that Oblivion was praised about ... or in the case of Gothic fans, there is praise for G3 where Oblivion was criticized ;)

but there swords matter, escpecially when you get all the paladins to wield them. i am hoping for some lizard men in the addon, with some backstory. maybe there are some peaceful lizardmen who worship adanos.

Aren't the lizzardmen in the service of beliar? After all paladin magic hurted them, so they are "evil" creatures, not neutral.

yes they were in prior gothics but as we know the orcs on khorinis were of a differernt culture than the ones on the mainland. i was mearly stating/hoping that in an addon we get to see some vast jungles/ or islands (such as the southern islands) which realistically could inhabit some aquatic humaniods which worship adanos. so maybe their might be some different lizard people, or another race/species altogether. it is inevitable that if the gothic series conitues they will proabably add some other race, at the least to expand story possibilities.

Back
Top Bottom