WotR WotR - Unofficial Companion Rankings

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

JFarrell71

SasqWatch
Just for fun. Not based on anything mechanical, purely on their personality/dialogue/quests. 1 being favorite, 13 being least favorite.

Mine:

1 - Nenio
2 - Woljif
3 - Seelah
4 - Ember
5 - Wenduag
6 - Camellia
7 - Daeran
8 - Finnean
9 - Sosiel

Not yet ranked: Lann (though my first impression is that he's boring), Regill (I've never used him), Arueshalae (just got her; I suspect she'll rise in my rankings), Greybor (I've never used him), the Lich specific ones (I'm not a Lich)

Mine:

Based purely on combat power -

1. Arueshalae
?. The others

Based on personality/plot

1. Arueshalae, Regill, Seelah
?. The others

Lann is okay, he starts feeling a bit bland, but he grows a spine later on and has some strong opinions about things that may or may not align with your characters. He has more personality than the traitorous lapdog Wendaug is for sure. :lol:

I've only been in Chapter 1 and I like Seelah and would gladly kill everyone else I've met. Lann does great damage but whines too much and his sense of humor grates on my nerves. Camellia is
CE
and the spider girl is
NE and a cannibal.

Ooh, I've met Ember and I love her. She's too loving for her own good and everyone takes advantage of her. I give her all the best gear after my own MC since we kinda share roles. I'm a blaster/buffer.

Mine is based partly on the interactions, but also on whether or not they're useful.

1. Seelah (good personality, good stats, get her at level 1 so she's very flexible, has pet)
2. Lann (same as Seelah, but a bit more annoying in the early game, has pet)
3. Arueshalae (excellent, but lacks a pet)
4. Woljif (dies a lot early on, but he's great once he gets rolling as a Vivisectionist)
5. Regill (not bad, but not good enough to deserve get permanent spot either)
6. Sosiel (annoying, but he's a Cleric, and he can get a pet via Domain)
7. Ember (interesting character, but the Witch spell list is horrible, and a few useful hexes does not make up for that)
8. Daeran (strong class, but he'd be dead if it wasn't for a certain something protecting him)
9. Camellia (yeah, no)
10. Nenio (can't learn names because a brain can only hold so much info? Being around Phoebe from Friends without her even being funny doesn't work for me)
11. Finnan (seriously, there's a ton of letters, information and dialogue related to Finnan, but he's worthless after the first few hours. Yes, I get that he'll probably get a major buff at some point, but it really should have been more of a gradual progression)

I haven't recruited Staunton, Delamere, Ciar or Trever, and I didn't really try out Greybor or Wenduag. I'll try that next time around I think.

Too early to tell, but so far:

1. Daeran, Arueshalae, Woljif (hard for me to make a choice, I keep wanting to know them more, I like the quests, and they're awfully handy in the party)
2. Seelah (she's great too, just a notch below because she's a bit less original right now, maybe)
3. Nenio (strange one which seems to have her secrets well buried)
4. Camellia (more because she hides than because I like the character)
5. Lann (he's very capable and there's an original story, but I don't feel particularly interested by the character or the quests right now)
6. Ember (uninteresting to me)
7. Sosiel (uninteresting to me)

Regill, Finnean, Wenduag (I don't know them well enough to place them)
Greybor, others (I barely know them at all)

Just finished my 1st run:

1. Regill - one of the most logical companion and very fitting for the WotR setting, he is also a killing machine :D
2. Daeran - his romance was surprisingly poigant, also an excellent healer.
3. Ember - her story in my game was incredible
4. Woljif - I disliked him in earlier chapters but he grew a lot as a character in later chapter
5. Arueshalae - I found her very cliched and yet I liked how her story ended
6. Seelah - her story was pretty decent but she can be very mean to Ember which I don't like (stop bullying her, Ms Paladin!)
7. Lann - he was fun character until he started to hit on my character, kinda wish he didn't
8. Camellia - I killed her based on her questionable moral but found her very intriguing
9. Nenio - while I enjoyed her banter, her quest really sapped all enjoyment out of me
10. Sosiel - very bland character
11. Secret companion - hardly had any content
12. Greybor - hated his guts
13. Wendu - I barely had her in my party

Only made it to the end of chapter 1 so far. My rankings are based on voices.

1. Camellia - I like listening to her. Pity she has no place in my party.
2. Wenduag - sounds very mature / darkish. Good fit.
3. Seelah - spirited, friendly, like a Big Momma.
4. Ember - good-hearted kid. Not much else to say. Pity she has no place in my party.
5. Nenio - Interesting? She's redundant due to my PC being the party mage.
6. Daeran - reminds me of Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory. Slowly getting on my nerves.
7. Lann - only had him during the tutorial. Dunno.
8. Woljif - sounds like a charming scoundrel, so actually a good fit. Not a fan though.

Up until now, I very much prefer the female cast.

As one of the few people who seem to be using Wenduag extensively, I can tell you that she is interesting and also profoundly uncomfortable to have around, at least as a good aligned character. She's truly nasty, and her experiences in the Neath have scarred her in profound and perhaps irredeemable ways.

I don't see the initial post, but it's obvious what is this about.
Because all inputs are partial and lacking, lemme add another partial list.
Note that this is based on normal difficulty and companion automatic level ups.

#1 Greybor
A tanky killing machine who ain't whining, ain't hitting on you, ain't gambling, ain't drinking, ain't using, ain't… All he wants is a paycheck. You got yourself a deal, man.

#2 Lann
The marksman extraordinaire, the absolute king in damage dealing, glass cannon though so never leave him unattended. Not confident outside of battles due to family issues, so if you ignore that part of him, he'll eventually pop his clogs. As I cared about every companion, I prevented it.

#3 Arueshalae
A conscience driven demoness who wants to become Ember2. Okay, not quite, but something similar. Loves to explore unknowns, doesn't say no to new experiences. Deadly mistress of doom in combat, master of perception and trickery, a musthave in any party.

#4 Nenio
Let's drink! Cheers! For the sakes of experiment ofc. Her memory loss might be connected to it… Only it's not. Superuseful mage in any party, but when I remember the Enigma part, I'd rather take some other mage instead. Only there is none, unless MC is.

#5 Azata path dragon
Tanky, humorous and aesthetically escaped from a LSD trip. Later gets some spells too, sadly is still a baby, but I live for a day where instead of riding somewhere, I'll be flying.

#6 Seelah
A paladin who you'd never think is a paladin if the game didn't tell you that at the beginning. Totally opposite of paladin cliches. Not the best tank nor fighter earlygame as the game doesn't up her mobility, but bring her against hordes of undead and she obliterates them.

#7 Woljif
A boytoy where the word doesn't fit in sexual way but was supposed to make a way for something else. Someone else. A streetwise misfit who desperately wants a friend as he never had one. Useful in any party combinations, sadly needs micromanaging or he dies fast.

#8 Ember
Useless in earlygame fights, extremely good midgame and later. She sees good in everyone and that naivity is charming, but sadly the world doesn't work that way. Some will say it's the best outcome of her trauma and a way she deals with her past, but I believe she is only hurting herself more. Still, she brings hope to many and in times of war it's the strongest weapon.

#9 Sosiel
A whiner with a brother complex, on the other hand an artist who wants to help everyone. Depends on MC which side will prevail. Unlike Camellia doesn't die easily yet brings almost everything she has in fights.

#10 Daeran
Roses are red, baths are blue, nondate… Well I don't love you, sorry. His story is very interesting though and definetly understand how he became what he became. Sadly, his skillset wasn't juicy enough for my different party combinations, but he never died when he was in.

#11 Wenduag
Reveals her hunger for power early, later it's obvious that she is a demon lord wannabe. Someone brainwashed her to think it's the only reason for living, the only goal worth chasing, by any means possible. I didn't manage to deprogram her as Azata, will try again as Trickster. In fights she is not bad, but nothing you'd write home about.

#12 Camellia
A lunatic from psychology books. Has a rapier fixation which makes her almost useless and is dying a lot. Still her class adds some nice possibilities to the party, but past earlygame I don't see any reason to keep her in the main party.

#13 Regill
Very useful in fights, otherwise bloodthirsty ruthless and mercyless trash who needs to die. Unlike Camellia he is not hiding his homicidal tendencies, instead he adapted his lunacy to the law so he can kill without being punished for it. Luckily MC passed his tests, at least in my game. Tricks to make MC executed according to law. A disgusting creature, more disgusting than Camellia who is aware any killing is wrong thus made up an invisible "friend".

#14 The queen
This bloody control freak sees MC as an unnecessary evil. To make sure things go smoothly, she is lurking incognito and she wants her trinket back, a trinket very useful to MC earlygame. When she hears you have Lexicon, she wants it too. And after all the deeds you do, she sends you to hell, literally. If only she stopped there, but no, she confiscates all of your army, sacrifices Drezen and goes to kill some whatever irrelevant dragon, because why not.
Apparently there is a possibility to romance her. If your MC is searching for domina in BDSM games, there is no better choice than the queen. Otherwise, she is more disgusting than Regill, which should be impossible.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Companions I don't know enough about, only tidbits, so can't say nothing about them yet.

- Trever (failed to save him as azata peptalk, will pick different nonhero dialogues as trickster)
- Lich's skeleton champion
- Ciar (undead)
- Staunton (either alive or undead)
- Delamere (undead)
- Kestoglyr (undead)

I may be the only one here who picks companions based on who they are as a person versus what they offer in combat - which I don't really care about. So based on what I know of them so far (and the farthest I have gotten in the game is the end of chapter 4) these would be my choices - from favorite to least favorite. I am playing Lobo and he is not interested in romance, must friendship, so not doing any romance this time.

I also don't play with Regil, Greybor (beyond the quest), Wen, or Ember and only have Cameilia around till chapter three. The secret companion I have zero interest in.

Lann - He is a solid down to earth person and I like his life view and how practical he is. He is also a killing machine but that isn't why I like him. I keep in the party at all times to help keep my main character grounded.

Finnegan - Not really sure I consider him a part of the party but I like him and feel really sad for him. Since my main uses claws Finnegan is used by Lann.

Avio - At first was too cute and annoying but have grown to love them :)

Woljif - Next favorite standard companion to Lann. Even if he is redundant to one of my characters. He will always be in my party.

Seelah - Solid favorite along with Lann and Woljif who is also always in my party.

Nenio - She cracks me up and love her humor and that she calls me boy. She stays with me almost all the time unless I need to rotate someone critical.

Sosiel - He is a little bland but like him well enough. I mix him up with Daeran sometimes, although edge is on Sosiel over Daeran.

Daeran - He grew on me. Not big on his alignment but he can be funny and he has some depth to him. He also makes some good points.

Arueshalea - I like her and have her come along now and then. Someone I witch around with Daeran and Sosiel as one of my rotating companions depending on mood.

Ember - A bit too goody-goody for me. I take care of her, she is sweet and all, but she gets on my nerves so I don't use her in my party.

Regill - Don't like his alignment or how he does things but he is a very cool character. For RP reasons, however, he never joins my party and I won't have him or the Hellknights around.

Camelia - While I kill her off later she is a well done character. So hard to classify as I don't want her in my party later but she is rather cool.

Greybor - I kill him off as I don't like being blackmailed for money. A cool character but he doesn't fit into my party.

Wen - Nasty fucked up mess. Great voice and a cool character but don't care for her and I kill her off, more to protect my back then anything else.

Is the queen a companion? :O
Yes she is, but not for everyone.
You have to go either Angel (alive queen) or Lich (dead queen) myth path. Dunno about other myth paths.
Now, you know how to keep her alive or make sure she dies, depending on which path you took, right? :)
11. Secret companion - hardly had any content
The secret companion I have zero interest in.
Which one would that be?
There are more than one.

#11 Wenduag
Reveals her hunger for power early, later it's obvious that she is a demon lord wannabe. Someone brainwashed her to think it's the only reason for living, the only goal worth chasing, by any means possible. I didn't manage to deprogram her as Azata, will try again as Trickster. In fights she is not bad, but nothing you'd write home about.

I like what you did, Joxer. Almost feel compelled to do something similar, but now it wouldn't feel original. :p

The part I quoted: I did manage to "reprogram" Wendaug. Kinda. Trying to keep it light in spoilers, it happened by not trying. No, really, I just wanted her out of my face and that "fixed" her, somehow, near the end of the game. It involves being a bit mean to her at some points, but it's not like she didn't deserve it.

Yes she is, but not for everyone.
You have to go either Angel (alive queen) or Lich (dead queen) myth path. Dunno about other myth paths.
Now, you know how to keep her alive or make sure she dies, depending on which path you took, right? :)

Which one would that be?
There are more than one.

I only know of one, "D". I didn't even know you could keep Staunton alive and as a companion. Not aware any of these could be permanent companions:

Companions I don't know enough about, only tidbits, so can't say nothing about them yet.

- Trever (failed to save him as azata peptalk, will pick different nonhero dialogues as trickster)
- Lich's skeleton champion
- Ciar (undead)
- Staunton (either alive or undead)
- Delamere (undead)
- Kestoglyr (undead)

I only know of one, "D". I didn't even know you could keep Staunton alive and as a companion. Not aware any of these could be permanent companions:

When you go lich path, you can make your party out of dead NPCs, so all the (undead) ones assume you went that path and took them as thralls.

On a side note about Wen and some others. The whole redemption thing is a theme and a difficult one morally and I confess I am not consistent.

Take that guy and the Cultists. If you let them go they are clearly not regretful. Yet maybe you decide to give them another chance.

Or take that quest with Cultists where you again can let them live or not, even after what they did. Yet we wipe out cultists left and right in the game.

Then Arushalea ... consider how many she killed in her past yet you can give her a second chance and consider all the other demons you do not. Why should she get a second chance but not a certain demon at the end of chapter 3, who I ended up letting go simply because I had given Arus a second chance so figured it was fair even though both have killed thousands.

That demon in the Fane? Let go or kill ... I let go.

On the other hand some demons in chapter 4, and one particular sick individual, I did not allow a second chance and killed them. Likewise with 3 followers. No second chance.

Do you let everyone go that you can, to try and be extra good? Do you not believe in second chances? Do you act as judge, jury, and executioner and decide who does and doesn't? I ended doing the latter but then I am not lawful, I am chaotic and went with more vigilante approach. Lawful I think would want a trial in most cases - well maybe not for the demons.

I dunno - I let this horrible demon go for a second chance even though they weren't any more repentant than Wen who I killed.

It bothers me sometimes this lack of consistency.

As gets point out at one point - At the very start of the game, right at the very begining, Ten, the silver dragon, tries to heal you even though she knows nothing at all about you. You could be a crusader, a thief, a cultist ... she doesn't even ask. She heals you because that is her nature.

What if she had not given you a chance? Course the counter to that is that your character as done nothing to show evil or good while in the other cases there is a clear implication of evil.

Ah well I ramble once again ...

Well, to me each case is different. Wen and Cam don't deserve it, because they don't want it. They're psychos that need to be put down asap.

The demon at the end of Act 3 didn't want to change ways, just wanted to be let alone to do evil stuff elsewhere. Having lost already, it's an easy plea to make.

Aru does want to change her ways, even though her very nature is against it. Normally I wouldn't care for that, but Desna herself blessed Aru, so if a good god went out of their way to take care of this particular being, then it might be worth giving them a chance. The arc plays a bit cliche-ish, but I found it wholesome nonetheless.

To my character what mattered is intent or at least perceived intent. Because I was chaotic good, I didn't feel the need to trial them or punish them for their past atrocities. It is only when they wanted to continue those atrocities with no intention of stopping that she had to turn their lights out.

It involves being a bit mean to her at some points, but it's not like she didn't deserve it.
Thanks for this!
As you know I'm now on trickster playthrough and will take at least some different chatty options from my first playthrough where I was all understanding and loving.
Now I know what to concentrate on, hopefully it'll work. If not, ah well, I need to do the lich playthrough too, so maybe I'll need the luck on the third. ;)
I didn't even know you could keep Staunton alive and as a companion.
I don't know either. Some say you can, some say you can't. All I know it's a specific myth path not available to everyone.
On a side note about Wen and some others. The whole redemption thing is a theme and a difficult one morally and I confess I am not consistent.
Ah well I ramble once again …
That's not ramble, you make good points there.

I have to, I know I'm boring everyone and their mother with it, but just can't not say it again.

You start the game as an anonymous who got hurt somewhere and don't remember how.
Enjoying the festivities ends abruptly, an insectoid demon appears and declares war.
With a bit of luck, later will be clear it wasn't luck at all, you form a party from a few survivors and are trying to repel demons with help of others and helping others. Regardless of your inner agenda (good/neutral/evil), you want to live thus will get to know some people.

At one point you'll discover you aren't an ordinary person.
And then you go and read the shallow PCGamer article that says "oh no, a chosen one rubbish again".
If they got past the prologue they'd have known you were not any chosen one but an experiment that unlike it's predecessors, survived.

Suddenly, everyone wants to follow you except a few who want you to follow them and their stupid rules.
But the war is real, the whole map is full of demon armies and you can't escape it.
So you'll lead, why not. If evil, well, there is much to gain from war profiteering, if good, doesn't need details.

And now we get to the major point. What exact leader you'll be?
Selfcentric bastard? Goody two shoes? Goofy cheerleader? Something else?
But why not a mix of everything, solving each "case" one by one.

War never changes, but this is not a Fallout game and noone ever said you can't change.
You do change, you are offered mythical powers and you choose which ones you want - with keeping in mind there is a war going on, not with keeping in mind is this path lawful evil or neutral good.

To wage war you need an army. An army is formed from recruits. It's your choice who you want to see in. Some say hellknights, I say archers. ;)

On the other hand, as a leader, you need a close personnel.
If only you could trust everyone, but the game can be unforgiving if you don't go easy mode and recruit storyless mercenaries who'll ask no question and execute every order of yours.
Just as in RL, noone is your friend by default, you make them friends. Or enemies. Or keep the strictly business talk.
Should you give a second chance to someone, it's your own choice from the war leader perspective. What example you're giving to people? Will your behavior help winning the war? Will your army and staff respect you or not? Will you pull the land into abyss just as lousy leaders in history did for their nations?

This is where one by one "case" comes into play. You might be less forgiving to a merchant who upped prices than to former criminal who is trying to redeem themself. You might go vice versa, but in each case it depends on a situation and what is your gut telling you.

As it happens, the game does keep track of all choices you made and you'll feel each in the game finale, please don't read unless you finished the game at least once:
The last area is full of demons and depending who you helped or accepted into your army, all those people and trashmobs appear to help you fighting against different demon groups.

The only exception to this should be the swarm path.
In this case the only logic to the story would be both sides forgetting the war and becoming allies only to destroy you before you end all life (and undead).
I wish it was implemented like that, but... Wasn't.

To wage war you need an army. An army is formed from recruits. It's your choice who you want to see in. Some say hellknights, I say archers. ;)

Hey, I took both. Hellknights are very mobile, which makes them perfect for intercepting enemies, or blocking their access to your archers, and nothing kills even a small stack of them in one hit, so you can just heal them back.

The few army fights I had to reload at the beginning of Act 3 is because one of my archer stacks got instantly obliterated by en enemy single attack. Just use those hellboys to stand in the way and they'll do work while your archers decimate their ranks!

Back
Top Bottom