Dungeon Full Dive

Redglyph

SasqWatch
I just spotted this funny VR project:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dfdstudios/dungeon-full-dive-make-your-dnd-worlds-real

It's still running until May 27th. They've already pledged 146,236 EUR of a 10,000 EUR goal, securing 5 additional goals, so it's going rather well.
DFD is a game that wants to make your tabletop worlds real! Play tabletop like never before: For the first time ever see, interact and walk around in the worlds of your adventures. May it be a forest deep inside the kingdom of elves, a dark dungeon, or just a small tavern for the adventurers to rest. Create your own adventures in DFD!

DFD can be played with mouse and keyboard… or in VR! And of course: cross-play will be supported between all PC-Players and VR-Players. So you will be able to play with all of your friends (and online strangers).

It supports D&D 5E but apparently allows to import other rulesets:
What rulesets do you support?

You can play any tabletop RPG that you want! You can easily import any character sheets or notes into DFD and we make sure, that you can modify all the elements in DFD to fit your liking. Furthermore, DFD will include game mechanics and stat integration for DnD 5e on launch. That means that things like initiative tracking can be done with just a click of a button.

This looks extremely interesting. Great spot, I backed it instantly.

Hmmm... cute idea, and, at least they seem to have some software development skills in their CVs, which is more than quite a few overambitious kickstarter teams can claim.

But they urgently need to level up their budgeting and legal skills before I'd trust them with any money. What were they hoping to achieve with their initial funding goal of 10000 EUR? And how much of that will be left once they start getting slapped with fines and legal fees because they are supposedly based in Germany, but running a website without even the minimum required legal info?

I'd say they failed their Business Acumen check.

What's missing?

On their own home page? The legal imprint and data privacy declaration, for starters.

It's obnoxious having to deal with the legal stuff, but if they wish to handle 150.000 EUR of other people's money, I hope they'll get up to speed soon before lawyers start siphoning off some of that kickstarter money.

The whole VR element of the project is unappealing to me. This isn't something I'd sponsor via kick starter, yet I might take a better look when it's fully out, and I can see what others think about it at that time.

On their own home page? The legal imprint and data privacy declaration, for starters.

It's obnoxious having to deal with the legal stuff, but if they wish to handle 150.000 EUR of other people's money, I hope they'll get up to speed soon before lawyers start siphoning off some of that kickstarter money.
Is there any data privacy concern here? The site uses no cookie, it's completely stateless. And even if it were the case, I seriously doubt they'd directly get a fee (and even if they had, that it would be significant), that would start with a series of warnings at worst.

If we had to be fussy about it, they should probably put the ownership of D&D 5E and Kickstarter, but that's about it and it's really minor. Lawyers choose their combats.

Pretty cool that it'll feature cross-play between PC and VR players. I can't say I've ever seen that before.

Back
Top Bottom