KS Idea: ToEE-like Game Engine?

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor
In another forum we briefly kicked around an idea that I thought would be pretty interesting. That got me wondering, what if somebody started a Kickstarter to fund the development of a ToEE-like game engine? Here is the general notion in outline:

• A ToEE-like front end with an isometric perspective and turn-based combat
  • Built using the free Unity tools, plus a few necessary add-ons
  • Comprehensive GUI toolset to create modules that would run in the engine
  • Developed around the OGL rules from D&D v3.5
  • Easy to mod and improve
  • Fan-built adventures, 3D models, and graphics from other game systems (such as NWN2) can be readily ported over and run in this engine
What do you think? :)

True, it would have to be a low budget, indie effort. A bigger name would be more interested in building a game to sell.

Love the idea (though I'd rather have RTwP than ToEE's turn based). I'd definitely contribute to it.

Great idea. Although I must say that the last point (custom mods) can be a huge undertaking.

I will not support it. There is open source Nebula device engine already.

I will not support it. There is open source Nebula device engine already.

From what I know using Nebula isn't easy it takes LOT more effort and knowledge to make anything, here we are talking about dedicated tool set that similar to NWN that would be just as easy to use.

Easy to use is only RPGmaker.
NWN? You mean Aurora engine? Which is just a bit improved Infinity engine? For god's sakes…

Look, you start the KS project, there will be enough Aurora fans to support it. Not me though. I despise every single bit of it.

I was waiting for you to post Joxer as this thread is like troll bait for you. We all know you hate the Aurora Engine, and NWN among many other things.;)

Anyway what rjshae mentioned is a good idea. Just look at all the mods that were created for free on the Aurora Engine. I would definitely back it.:p

Look, you start the KS project, there will be enough Aurora fans to support it. Not me though. I despise every single bit of it.

Aurora is bad engine but it has good tools you can't deny that.

From what I see point of this engine+ tools set would be for people not having to use crappy aurora anymore.As I see it potential ks would have more supporters that are not fans of aurora but like mods.

Easy to use is only RPGmaker.
NWN? You mean Aurora engine? Which is just a bit improved Infinity engine? For god's sakes…

The Aurora toolset itself has practically nothing to do with this, other than it being a module development tool. My point was to be able to read in the .mod (and other) files previously generated using the Aurora toolset, for example, and possibly module files other game toolsets. That would provide a pool of existing material that could be run in the new engine, as well as allowing it to build new game modules using existing models.

Enforcing compatibility backwards is always a bad thing.

Enforcing compatibility backwards is always a bad thing.

Not really. Without backwards compatibility, the world as we know it today would not function.

Here, the compatibility could be handled by means of an import capability that does a conversion. All it would need to do is support similar capabilities and logic, then give the rest default values. A more challenging aspect may be the scripting conversion; particularly the API calls.

Last edited:
Fine idea.

However, I would personally start with a less ambitious game with a relatively wide appeal. If you have the time, talent and energy - you can establish yourself with the first game.

Then, you can start a Kickstarter with a greater chance of being funded.

The hardest part of what you're suggesting is the successful implementation of the 3.5 rules, which were never intended for computer games.

It's a LOT of work implementing them all.

No OGL 3.5. That all by itself would be enough to keep me away.

ToEE seems pretty dated to me

I'd be very interested if it was as simple to use and as flexible (more flexible?) as the Aurora engine but with modern graphics.

I'd also want infinite multiplayer, a standalone server, and a DM client.

The hardest part of what you're suggesting is the successful implementation of the 3.5 rules, which were never intended for computer games.

I listed OGL 3.5 mainly because of the existing resources available for it: spells, creatures, and magic items. That's a lot less development work on your plate. Sure, the rules would then need to be modified to work with a CRPG, but at least you have a starting point with the stats.

I listed OGL 3.5 mainly because of the existing resources available for it: spells, creatures, and magic items. That's a lot less development work on your plate. Sure, the rules would then need to be modified to work with a CRPG, but at least you have a starting point with the stats.

Coming up with spells and items is extremely easy compared to actually implementing them.

In fact, implementing spells made for a non-computer game system is MUCH harder than implementing spells you've made for a system you're creating yourself, as you'll just work around your own limitations as a programmer that way.

All I can say is good luck ;)

Fine idea.

However, I would personally start with a less ambitious game with a relatively wide appeal. If you have the time, talent and energy - you can establish yourself with the first game.

Then, you can start a Kickstarter with a greater chance of being funded.

Isnt knights of the chalice OGl 3.5?

Back
Top Bottom