GOG - Gothic 2 & Gothic 3 Re-Released

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
GOG announced they have re-added Gothic 2 & Gothic 3 to their online game catalog.

The Nameless Hero returns to GOG.com.

Gothic 2 and Gothic 3, legendary open world RPGs return to GOG.com!Gothic 2 and Gothic 3 are the two final (and increasingly greatest) entries in the overarching "Nameless Hero" saga of the vast, open-world RPG series. Whether you go a bit retro with the quirks of Gothic 2, or with Gothic 3, which still puts open world RPGs to shame, you're about to venture into a world that stands open before you, ready with its reaction to your every single action. Explore the land filled with nooks and crannies, side with whoever you want, destroy anyone, or don't, and deal with the consequences.
Thank you Xian for sending me the link.

More information.

Last September Nordic Games removed their offerings on GOG, Gothic 2 & 3 being two of the titles. The rights to Gothic 1 was still held by Piranha Bytes so it was still available. I read that Piranha Bytes has regained the rights to Gothic 2 and 3 so once again they are available for sale on GOG.

Nordic explained why they were pulled on this post:
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/last_chance_special/post729

Where did you read that PB got the rights to G2 and G3 back?

If you check all of the Gothic game entries on GOG, it says that the publisher is Piranha Bytes. No mention of Nordic Games anymore. Even the G3 add-on Forsaken Gods seems to be published by PB now (developed by Trine and G3 CPT).
Seems like PB has reacquired the GOG distribution rights from NG.

G2 is one of the best RPG's ever made and it's supposed to be hard. It makes a LOT more sense if you played G1 first.

I agree, G2 was great (as was G3, aside from the bugs).

What i still remember was going to a certain castle while i was still very weak. It was surrounded by orcs who could kill me in 2 hits.

I had too sneak and finally run to reach the castle, but i made it! great feeling when i finally reached it.

G2 is one of the best RPG's ever made and it's supposed to be hard. It makes a LOT more sense if you played G1 first.

I didn't play G1 first and found that the intro gave me enough clues :) Glad G2 is back for those new to the series. One of my faves!

Oh the memories it brings back.

To be curageous of the beginning of the game, to try to reach that certain point by just rushing and being dead before you realized what happened :p

Tha castel you are speaking of is one of those places, where you needed to avoid or run from combat to make it.
When was a game that hard and fun like the Gothic games, I do miss them.
Sadly enough, Risen 1 and 2 never gave me the satisfaction like the Gothic games :(

Talking about Gothic 2, how is the DX11 Mod progressing ? Any chance it will be completed this year ?
Would be a nice addition to a new playthrough.

I played all three games and loved them. Gothic 3 I gave up till the player based patches made it playable. With that it was a good game too, but 1 and 2 are still my favorites from the three. They are not Dark Souls hard, but require you to build up before tackling some areas. You can go there early but you will probably get your butt kicked !! Later you do get to do the butt kicking though :) I played the Mage on all three games too.

The rights situation for the Gothic series has been clarified by the PB MD a couple of weeks ago.
PB has the complete rights of sale for Gothic 1, 2 and 3 back, and has had them back for a few years. PB is no publisher and still doesn't have the necessary infrastructure, so they give out (non-exclusive) licenses to others, for example Nordic. When Nordic pulled out of GOG for their own reasons, PB effectively self-published there to bring the whole series back to this platform. Their business relations with CDP go way back to Gothic 1, which CDP published in Poland.

All this was translated and summarized but should be reasonably precise.

Back
Top Bottom