General News - New Dungeons & Dragons RPG

Ireally really really really hope it is Eberron !
I like Eberron VERY much, especially because it is so much different from the "standard fantasy cliché" !
It even has pirates ! ;)

Another D&D CRPG sounds fantastic. I'd prefer it be a single-player, turn-based game because I don't really know how you translate D&D rules into an "action" game and still have it be D&D at all but... hey. I'm willing to see how things turn out. (Well, I guess Dungeons & Dragons Online is an "action based" D&D game... that worked out better than I could have expected, actually. 15 years old and still doing decent.)

With a completely different developer?

It's Hidden Path Entertainment. I can see why it's confusing because there's a typo in the newsbit. It says "developers at Defense Grid" where "at" should be "of".

Defense Grid is a game they're known for, and they also did the HD re-release of Age of Empires II.

Pirates are very much a fantasy cliche :p

So Eberron did a few things different - very different - from game systems before it. You'll either love it or hate it, depending.

First, it's "Steampunk meets D&D" - magic and technology meet. There's flying airships, magical trains, magical message sending and receiving services, and magic golem-people called "Warforged" that, again, you either like or hate.

Second, alignment and objective morality is very, very muddy compared to other D&D games. Who is evil? Who is good? We have fully-formed goblinoid, monster, and orc tribes that interact with human society. We have a nation of necromancers that literally raised an army of the dead to fight in the Last War and that wasn't considered evil as much as it was considered pragmatic. One of the highest ranking clerics of the Silver Flame (a Lawful Good "deity") is actually evil, and your spells aren't given or taken away by a God's will (do the Gods even exist? We don't know as they don't walk around like they did in Forgotten Realms) - they are cast by YOUR belief and will alone.

Personally, I like Eberron a lot but I also like traditional Forgotten Realms a lot. And Dark Sun. And Planescape. I liked most of the D&D worlds except Dragonlance which to me always seemed a little... fatalistic? I don't know if that is the right word.

Back
Top Bottom