Last game you finished, tell us about it

I just *love* the underworld series. I can't count how many hours I've spent on those games - first playing them, later trying to hack/reverse engineer them :)

I might never finish this project, but some of you might be interested in my little hobby project:

http://www.peroxide.dk/ugck/

The demo isn't completely up-to-date with what I've managed to get working, but there hasn't been much interest, so I've never updated it with my latest additions..

Unfortunately it's not much time I have for it with a full-time job in the game industry and a 2 months old son ;)

Oh, I loved to play it when I first got in my 486, and back then I would have rated it 9/10 or so, but it's just a bit too clunky to play today:p EDIT: If it had been a human I would say that it had a good life but is past retirement age:)

Hmmm........that sounds a LOT like me!!!! :)

Okay... everyone better sit down for this one...

I finally finished Avernum 4! It took me from the beginning of February until today, playing 1 to 2 (sometimes 3) hours almost every night!

I love that game... best I've played in a while. I'm going to write a mini review, so check it out if you're interested.

Do you plan to post it here? If so, submit it to Dhruin and he may post it to the main page!!

Last game I finished Ogre Tactics... and it is one of the best games ever!!

Do you plan to post it here? If so, submit it to Dhruin and he may post it to the main page!!

I posted my quick review in the General RPG forum.

The last game I finished (yesterday) was the original Hexen (pre-Hexen95, pre jHexen), as a fighter this time. I'm still mystified about how I replay the game several times a year, and still manage not to remember how to get to all secret levels.

I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream (6/10)
Interesting game. Rape, nazism, torture etc... every taboo in the book. Decent graphics for it's time but not a game I would recommend to just anyone.

Silverfall (you'll have to wait for my RPGWatch review for the score ;) )
Long and arduous campaign, decent tech vs. nature implementation, love Love LOVE the art styling ... but ultimately just a huge action-RPG just like every other huge action-RPG.

Some handheld stuff as well ... that will be in my next article that I want to finish next week once I finish Valhalla Knights.

Last game I finished Ogre Tactics... and it is one of the best games ever!!

The Snes version? No matter how many times I start playing through it I never get around to finishing it, either because I get bored with the overall dreadful combat or because I get owned in the later maps. If only the combat had been like the GBA title...

Currently going through Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. Hellaride!

The Snes version? No matter how many times I start playing through it I never get around to finishing it, either because I get bored with the overall dreadful combat or because I get owned in the later maps. If only the combat had been like the GBA title...

Currently going through Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. Hellaride!

Your view concerning Ogre Tactics is the same as mine is for Final Fantasy Tactics. A lot of people talk about FFT as being one of the best strategy rpg's ever made for consoles. I've tried playing it twice now and both times quit about half-way through. I just don't see what's so great about it, and I'm a huge FF fan.(of the older titles)

Good luck on CoC: Dark Corners of the Earth. I hope you enjoy it more than I did.

I can't relate a lot since unfortunately I never got around to playing much of the original Final Fantasy Tactics. I do know that both it and the Ogre Tactics game for Gameboy Advance - Knight of Lodis - had something very simple over the Snes title - the ability to actually decide how to attack instead of sending one group of characters against another and watch them trade blows with no input whatsoever (aside those Tarot cards, that is). I think the game really suffers with this.

Call of Cthulhu is being somewhat hit and miss. I enjoy the setting and the focus on stealth and exploration - even if the latter is harmed by a considerably restrictive environment there's a couple of situations which can be handled differently. The combat isn't very difficult considering enemies aren't very sharp - though I'm playing in the second difficulty level since harder modes apparently need to be unlocked (!) - and stealth kills are at least there.

By far the most frustrating experience so far as been escaping the Gilman hotel since the escape sequence requires a very fixed set of movements and actions, and learning them is a clear trial and error process instead of a more fluid, open-ended scenario. Also, the possible paranoia system is nice but tricky to manage since - at least from a first time player perspective - it requires you don't explore and find the bloody situations.

I'm currently trying to escape Insmouth through the truck sequence.

CoC is a very good game, though after escaping Innsmouth it loses much of its charm and only in a few locations you get to experience the greatness of the first part.
Later on the insanity system becomes a problem instead of an intriguing system.

I had very high expectations of CoC, too high in fact. The game just isn't that good and has more frustrating area's than fun ones. I did finish the game, although I felt somewhat unfulfilled when it was all over.

Here's a very good adventure\horror game that I'm playing right now. It's a budget title (only $20) and it's better than a lot of full priced titles that I've played. Try the demo if you think you might be interested.

http://penumbra-overture.com/

No, for the Playstation. I tried a SNES ogre tactics... couldn't compare at all.

This game was among top 10 of best games of all times in Japan. I say it kick ass cause it really does... GBA or SNES ogre tactics cannot compare this game just OWNZ! lots of different endings and choices... really great gameplay.. and it'll depend A LOT on which characters you choose and who you ally with how the gameplay will unfold... It also has a bonus you can get to the 99 level of hell... but it is SUPER HARD.. working on it! Really fun though.

Phantasmagoria (5/10)
I had promised myself to play Phantasmagoria during this summer, and now it's done. One of Sierras experimental games and probably one of the worst from them.

Phantasmagoria 2 next.

Well, just finished Cthulhu. My opinion hasn't changed much - it's an enjoyable ride and something I'd be more eager to replay than most Resident Evilesque affairs out there but it usually takes time to grow on you. The more you want from the game the less it will give you, up to a point where you'll find yourself not having great expectations about the game - only to be suddenly surprised when the game decides to throw in a trump card, even if briefly. This is what mainly categorizes CoC to me: an adventure with short highs and long lows.

I had a problem in the end sequence where Jack Walters needs to escape some crumbling caves because the run speed is slow as molasses. After downloading a third party program I managed to increase his run speed to something much more manageable.

I'll still probably give it a go on the higher difficulty levels to try and reach Rank A, though.

Yes, lows and highs. Though the graphics engine was ideal for this game and I very much enjoyed using the rifle. The first part of the game, where you explored yourself and Innsmouth without any guns was the best part though. The drunkard in the alley, the news paper office etc.
I used god mode in the last scene to escape the cave.

A lot of people experienced that bug at the end. It probably took me 25-30 tries before I escaped that cave. Someone suggested lowering your resolution makes you run a step faster in that game. I can't confirm if that actually works or not, I think I just got lucky when I finally escaped.

Phantasmagoria II: Puzzle of Flesh (7/10)
Overall a better game than it's prequel, first thanks to a much better story that is actually quote exciting, second thanks to better technology used in how the game blend with FMV sequences. Not the greatest game ever made though but decent for a adventurefan.

Back
Top Bottom