Game Of Thrones - An RPG would never work

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
HitC writes why they believe a Game of Thrones RPG would never work.

Unlike The Witcher 3 which had politics you could ignore, a Game Of Thrones RPG would have to constantly be in-your-face about politics because the property is about ideologies, backstabbing, and the iron throne. Back when the show was good, it was about people playing the game of thrones and the dastardly deeds and sacrifices they would make to end up on top of the series' now non-existent ladder. Even more so for a video game than the TV show, it would be very difficult for a studio to balance the core politics with the anti-fantasy setting and subplot.

And would gamers want to sit and watch a dozen politically heavy cutscenes? Most would just rather storm off into battle against armies and the White Walkers so they could mindlessly hack-and-slash and overcome overwhelming forces. This would also be untrue to the source material as - at least before season 6 - Game Of Thrones was never heavy on heroics, and characters were always punished or died for the mistakes they made.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Well, I guess it depends on the expected experience. Personally I wouldn't mind RPGing it as tabletop as a nobody while the big picture plays out in the background. Something that approximates this would be the GOT mods associated with various preexisting products, such as Skyrim or Mount & Blade Warband. I am sure the expectations would be high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP8-yBwPiS8

This the same dude ( from DA4 article)? His previous work was better. Shame to see this talent deteoriarate.
There already was a GoT rpg, a while back, low profile one.

I happen to be be playing the GoT RPG right now. :)

It's my second attempt. I tried it a few years ago and quit almost immediately. I've seen a few people claim it's decent if you stick with it, so I'm going to try to finish it this time.

It plays like a poor man's version of The Witcher 1 + DA: Origins.

From the "article":

"(…) the tv series has now become a dumb mainstream product on par with Dungeons & Dragons. "

I stopped reading the "article" right there. If the author thinks Dungeons & Dragons is dumb, then excuse me but he isn't reading its books/playing the tabletop the right way. So I didn't bother to read the remaining of the article, not even to check the reasons why he claims a GoT RPG wouldn't work.

IMHO I believe a GoT RPG would work, it could be successful given the right elements for this: a competent management committed to the vision shown in the books; high-quality technical staff; a publisher who has enough courage, time and money for the game to be developed without crazy deadlines; among others.

Last edited:
From the "article"

I just realized it's the same guy who wrote that silly rant about Bioware earlier this week.

"BioWare hasn’t been BioWare since Mass Effect 3. The studio was once renowned for excellent RPGs with gripping narratives and superb characters, but that hasn’t been apparent for years. In fact, Mass Effect 3’s controversial ending was the beginning of BioWare’s decline and an embodiment of the broken idol they would become."

It took him until the end of ME 3 to realize Bioware was in decline? Either he hasn't been gaming very long or he's not the sharpest guy around.

@Farflame; No offense, but this guy's writing sucks. :)

Last edited:
From the "article":

"(…) the tv series has now become a dumb mainstream product on par with Dungeons & Dragons. "

I stopped reading the "article" right there. If the author thinks Dungeons & Dragons is dumb, then excuse me but he isn't reading its books/playing the tabletop the right way. So I didn't bother to read the remaining of the article, not even to check the reasons why he claims a GoT RPG wouldn't work.

IMHO I believe a GoT RPG would work, it could be successful given the right elements for this: a competent management committed to the vision shown in the books, a high-quality technical staff, a publisher who has enough courage, time and money for the game to be developed without crazy deadlines, among others.

Now D&D itself is a good setting with good storytelling potential. Just perhaps he is referring to the Dungeons & Dragons movies which haven't been exactly stellar.

Who cares, Martin is over rated anyway way

I've never watched Game of Thrones because non-stop gushing from everyone started to get annoying :p

I've never watched Game of Thrones because non-stop gushing from everyone started to get annoying :p

If you're a fantasy fan there's not much else to watch. The Witcher and the Amazon Lord of the Rings series is coming out.

In TW3, politics are pushed partly aside (players play politics themselves)
It can be done because the PC is bigger than the NPCs involved in the struggle for power (PC does not bow to emperors, as per historical genuinety)

RPGs being understood as a quest for power, the position of a PC in GoT would be troublesome. Contrary to TW3 in which kings, princes and stuff are small players to the PC, in a GoT, a PC would have to be one of the characters involved in the struggle for power. Otherwise, the lust for power of socalled RPGers will not be satisfied.

The Cynaide GoT RPG worked very well for me. Not the best RPG of all time, of course, but anyways quite enjoyable.

In other news: a TV series adaptation of GoT would never work... oh, wait.

The Saxon Tales are quite a good series, at least the novels are. If you like your tales put in a historic perspective, this one might satisfy. I'm not sure if there is an author alive that can contend with Cornwell on the merits of sheer writing talent.

As for watching Game of Thrones on television, the last three seasons have been quite the let-down. We'll just have to hope Martin gets around to writing the final two novels, although if he chooses to spend his time on Wild Cards instead, I'm perfectly ok with that. Stick with the superior series, friend!

I would love to play an RPG starting with 30 characters alive in the world. As you meet them every one of them will die, because of your actions, sooner or later.

GoT is arguably the most incredible bit of television ever created, so it's natural to believe more people will try to capitalize on it with games. I thought Telltale's story was very good, if not more tragic than the show itself.

As much as I'd like to see a AAA RPG based on the universe, keeping the typical gamer entertained in a non-high fantasy setting would be tough. More likely, they would have to exaggerate magic & monsters to the point where it hardly resembles GoT at all. In that case, just make a Forgotten Realms game with politics, as the IP license would probably be cheaper at this point.

Most would just rather storm off into battle against armies and the White Walkers so they could mindlessly hack-and-slash

Thank you, Blizzard.

These days, there is no implementation of what I call "social skills" in any non-combat way I know of.

( DDO has Diplomacy and Itimidation, but they are almost exclusively used in combat for distracting enemies or getting them (tank role). )

Intrigue would be some sort of a "social skill", or the outcome of a social skill, I think.
But no-one would want to play it, because diplomacy is unmanly. Hacking and killing is, that's why Assasin's Series is so successful. Why be a diplomat if one can solve any form of "conflict" through an assassination as effectively ?

If you're a fantasy fan there's not much else to watch. The Witcher and the Amazon Lord of the Rings series is coming out.
True we used to have Legend of the Seeker, Merlin, The Shannara Chronicles, and a few other shows over the years, but high fantasy has taken a back seat to Sc-Fi shows.

Back
Top Bottom