Beamdog - Infinity Games Coming to Console

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
TechRaptor reports that Beamdog will be bringing the Infinity Engine games to console, in partnership with Skybound Games.

Beamdog, the developer behind the enhanced editions of classic RPG's such as Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment, is teaming up with publisher Skybound Games to bring these classic RPG's to consoles for the first time in history.

"Six of Beamdog's fan-favorite games will be released on console platforms for the first time ever via Skybound all as Enhanced Editions sold at retail stores and online." stated Sally Jacka in a blog post on Skybound's website. "These upcoming releases will allow RPG fans the opportunity to experience epic Dungeons & Dragons adventures in a whole new way."

[...]
More information.

It's hilarious how Beamdog keeps milking these games on every platform. What happened to those original games they had in development. Canceled or stalled?

I suppose as long as there's an audience that will pay, they'll keep doing it. I don't see anything wrong with supplying a need like that, although new games would be preferable. Maybe they can offer to team up with Ceres Games and make a spinoff using the Realms Beyond engine?

I doubt there's a market for such releases, but I can't see how could it be something bad.

Cheaper or not it's getting stale. Like a one trick pony.

Believe it or not at one point I actually thought they would make a new Baldur's Gate. All the pieces were there the engine, talent, funding, but now the talent has left.

Last time I checked they now work for Larian Studios.

Update: Love those twitter fanboy replies rjshae is correct.
There's an audience that will pay, they'll keep doing it.

Oh Beamdog when you first announced Bg1 EE world was at your feet. But soon after you turned out to just be useless money grabbing scammer.

And it has not changed much over the years. They had a chance to leave their mark with Siege of Dragonspear but again they didn't do enough. Now I have 0 expectations from them.

I wonder if they survive 10 more years if they do a Kingmaker EE :D

When they hired David Gaider and Brent Knowles they must have had some kind of interesting original project in mind. I wonder what happened - I guess the project died, although Knowles is still there, right? He must be working on something.

Anyway, back on topic, I can't imagine playing Baldurs Gate with a controller. I don't hate controllers, but Baldurs Gate party management (and adjusting the pathfinding) with a controller doesn't sound much fun.

Anyway, back on topic, I can't imagine playing Baldurs Gate with a controller. I don't hate controllers, but Baldurs Gate party management (and adjusting the pathfinding) with a controller doesn't sound much fun.

It made me wonder if they are experimenting with turn-based content.

Ahhh, so this finally became public knowledge!! I'd heard much about this before I left Edmonton, and it's why I never completely finished testing the Neverwinter Nights game. At the time I heard it I was really hoping it was just going to be some passing phase, then it became obvious that it wasn't. It's a huge shame, I'm not entirely writing them off, but I consider this a misstep for right now.

The only console I can see this working on is the Switch which already got a few old games ported on it or planned to be ported on it.

The xbox and ps4 though, that looks like a waste of time, unless the plan is creating awareness for Beamdog on other parts of the gaming market or for Beamdog to work on console-engine for future games.

Then I've some bad news for you, in the console conversations that I was privy to, I never heard the Switch mentioned at all. I agree that the Switch system would be a much better fit for these kinds of games, but it really doesn't seem likely at this point. And that's a huge shame.

Ahhhh, then I stand corrected. I'm glad to hear that the Switch will be a part of this, it wasn't mentioned in the conversations that I heard in late 2017, but I consider this a plus for Nintendo. I still think their focus should be on pure computer releases, but then again I'm jaded that way! =p

It's hilarious how Beamdog keeps milking these games on every platform.

Honestly, I admire anyone who can squeeze a nickel until it bleeds gold. What's next, the collectible card game? Plushy stuffed figures? A K-pop crossover?

I think there would be a fairly irresistible business case to do the console ports - it's a potentially large market, that can be tapped with relatively little effort to do the ports. I think if I created a little PC game that actually got some traction, I'd almost certainly look into getting it onto the console stores as the next job.

Honestly, I likely would have kept my Switch had I known Beamdog was seriously considering developments for that system. Who knows, I might even pick one up again, stranger things have happened!

Cheaper or not it's getting stale. Like a one trick pony.

Believe it or not at one point I actually thought they would make a new Baldur's Gate. All the pieces were there the engine, talent, funding, but now the talent has left.

Last time I checked they now work for Larian Studios.

Update: Love those twitter fanboy replies rjshae is correct.

Talent? I would disagree on that point. They are milking cash from games they didn't make is all I see

Granted, I'm a complete computer idiot myself, but I saw them working on some things that just looked fabulous to me, like eighteen months ago. They have some real talent there, and I've no idea why they don't simply create a property of their own and have at it, I get the risk part but at some point you do need to strive to make something completely your own.

Talent? I would disagree on that point. They are milking cash from games they didn't make is all I see

Actually, the two guys who founded Beamdog were formerly with Bioware and worked on Baldur's Gate 1&2 and Neverwinter Nights.

Not that it means they aren't milking, but I just thought I'd point that out. :)

Back
Top Bottom