Witcher 3 - Review @ AttackOfTheFanboy

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
AttackOfTheFanboy loves The Witcher 3 - A snippet:
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt expects and rewards preparation above all else. Anybody who plays it like an Assassin’s Creed title or other action game will find themselves reloading frequently — I should know, because that’s how I initially approached it. Mashing attack might kill a few stray dogs, but that’s about it, as I found out. Side quests are all but mandatory, as enemies do not scale to the player’s level. It’s one among many ways that The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt makes you feel like one man in a very large world. That’s one of the things I really appreciated about the game. The tutorial, if enabled, will nudge you once or twice, but afterwards will leave you with plenty of rope with which you are free to hang yourself with. Multiple save files are a must for this reason.
(…)
That’s where Gwent, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt’s amazing minigame, comes in. Gwent has its roots in games like Goofspiel, being a simple game to learn but a complex one to master. Supposedly an analogue for how a battle unfolds, Gwent sees players placing numbered cards across three different zones. The first player to have the highest numbers on their side of the board for two rounds wins. It’s not as crucial a part of the game as Triple Triad was for Final Fantasy VIII, but it was compelling enough that I had to force myself away from it, lest this turn into Gwent: A Review.
Final score: 4.5/5 - "loved"

More information.

Gwent is major fun, just like Arcomage was in MM7.

It looks like I will have to update rest of my computer to the graphic card I bought to play it with no problems. But for what I saw in small part so far I must agree with all what is written above. Game IS great and as in real life it always rewards patience and preparations.

As far as mini games go, Gwent is one of he better ones. It's actually a pretty enjoyable card game on it's own.

A tablet version of Gwent wouldn't be a half bad idea either. Would be a pretty great one with multiplayer. Not sure it has the legs to justify the cost of online matchmaking, but I'd be happy with local multiplayer or maybe more varied roster of AI opponent behavior sets. Would be a nice way for CDProjket Red to say "see, this is how you release companion/accessory games on mobile for your big games."

Back
Top Bottom