Leipzig Games Convention Cancelled

magerette

Hedgewitch
The Liepzig 2009 Game Convention has been officially canceled and replaced with an online event, while the Cologne-based Gamescom is still set to take place, GamesIndustry.biz reports:
The Leipzig Game Convention has officially been cancelled, with this year's event planned for August 20 – 23 no longer taking place.
The key industry and consumer event in Europe will now be Gamescom, taking place August 19 – 23 in Cologne. GDC Europe will also run August 17 – 19 at the same location.
"In view of the new situation in terms of competition on the German trade fair market, Leipziger Messe would be dropping the GC - Games Convention from the 2009 calendar," said Leipziger Messe in a statement.
"If the industry is again in search of a platform for console and PC games and hardware with the know-how of the GC - Games Convention, we will immediately be available," commented Wolfgang Marzin, CEO.
Started in 2002, Games Convention became the biggest European trade and consumer games show. However, the industry in the region this year backed rival Gamescom, with Nintendo, Sega, Song and the BIU all committing to the event, to be led by former Leipziger Messe director Frank Sliwka.
In its place will be Game Convention Online, an event aimed at the browser gaming market, to take place July 31 to August 2, 2009.
More information.

Hm, as far as I understood this, I wouldn't call it "cancelled", but instead "replaced".

The Leipzig Game Convention has officially been cancelled, with this year's event planned for August 20 – 23 no longer taking place.
In its place will be Game Convention Online, an event aimed at the browser gaming market, to take place July 31 to August 2, 2009.

They replaced old GC with a new GC, called GC Online. This event will now take place in Leipzig from July 31st to August 2nd an will be focused on Online and Casual Games. It seems they could already make a deal with GameForge and german-based online casual game publisher Bigpoint. But no mention of any other world-wide MMO publisher like NCSoft, ActiBlizz, EA or CCP as up to now.

Hm, as far as I understood this, I wouldn't call it "cancelled", but instead "replaced".

Earlier this year, I'm pretty sure Leipziger Messe was saying they were still going to hold it, so both were going to take place. Not now. :)

To me, it's just a chance of title and content, nothing more.

(Oops ...)

Probably not in Liepzig, maybe in Cologne like this year, though I'm no expert on the subject.

magerette,

it's still Leipzig, not Liepzig, even if you repeat it a hundred times. ;)

magerette,

it's still Leipzig, not Liepzig, even if you repeat it a hundred times. ;)

Am I spelling challenged or language challenged--hard to say. I seem to be comfortable spelling it both ways. ;) Apologies to the Deutsch speaking amongst us. (Or is that Deutsche?)

So they cancelled GC *this* year.... is there going to be a GC next year?
Games Convention in Leipzig will be replaced by Gamescom in Cologne. It's the same party, only a different name, because that name is copyright of fairy Leipzig and they didn't want to give it up. But the big publishers (EA, ActiBlizz, Ubisoft, Atari, ...) decided to turn their back on Leipzig and move to Cologne, because they think it's the better place for such a big event. They think of GC as a global event, and in their mind Leipzig does not fit to that idea.
Most of the midlevel publishers surely will follow them and that's possibly the reason why Leipzig cancelled their "GC". Because no one is going to be there. They wanted to deliver a fight to Cologne, but it seems they failed and gave up.

That's a pitty for fairy Leipzig, because GC was there bestselling event and they are going to lose much money through this decision. Without that event, Leipzig is only second class concurrent compared to Hannover, Franfurt or Cologne. So they try to use their trademark for this alternate product they call GC Online.

I don't think that the publishers will return to Leipzig in the next time. IIRC they have at least a two year contract with Cologne.

Apologies to the Deutsch speaking amongst us. (Or is that Deutsche?)
Grammatically correct would be "Deutschen". Accusative object. :D

Nom. Sg.: der Deutsche
Gen.: des Deutschen
Dat.: dem Deutschen
Akk.: den Deutschen

Nom. Pl.: die Deutschen
Gen.: der Deutschen
Dat.: den Deutschen
Akk.: den Deutschen

Could also be. It's way to late for grammatical discussions. :D

She meant the language, not the people.

Then she was right ;)
Though I think even with new german spelling ist deutschsprechend and not Deutsch sprechend. But I don't like the new german orthography, so I can't say for sure. It's also completely bullsh** and nobody minds. ^^

€dith: It's Deutsch sprechend.

Awesome news. That saves about 4 hours of traveling :)

Back
Top Bottom