Best t-RPG game ever? now for PSP

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch
I just wanted to let everyone here know…. in case anyone have a psp and likes T-rpgs….. IMHO this is probably the best T-RPG ever. True choices and consequences, wonderful turn-based battles, and a great story! It is Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Togheter.

Highly reccomended!!!!!!!

Here is a link to the gamespot review… not that they write such a great reviews but.. I don't know where else it is reviewed.. if you are curious check it out:

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/strategy/tacticsogreunmeinowa/index.html?tag=gallery_summary;title

edit: Not sure about the "refinements", many of them sounds more like de-finements to me.... but I don't have a PSP so I wouldn't know.

Last edited:
Hmm, that actually gave my an idea - why aren't more old TB games available on handhelds? They're perfect for such platforms. Imagine how great it would be to drag Heroes of Might & Magic with you everywhere you go!

Then again, it might not be so great - I'd forget time and place wherever I went instead of experiencing classic "just one more turn and I'll go to bed.. is that the sun coming up?" moments at home.

I'd gladly try this if I had a PSP and didn't feel like vomiting at the mere sight of the art direction :)

graphics whore :p

It is worth to note that the in-game graphics is from 1995 though…… I found it much more mature than many other J-rpgs.

graphics whore :p

It is worth to note that the in-game graphics is from 1995 though…… I found it much more mature than many other J-rpgs.

I recently played Final Fantasy 9 in my PSP. That was a masterpiece. Beautiful story, great gameplay, one of the best games I've played in recent years.

Too bad this won't be released on the PC. Tactics Ogre was one of the very, very few JRPGs that I could stomach; it's just a genre that doesn't appeal to me at all. Tactics Ogre is an amazing game though, and if more JRPGs had similar turn-based battle systems along with non-linear stories with choices and consequences (Tactics Ogre is a Japanese rarity in this regard), I would play more JRPGs.

I recently played Final Fantasy 9 in my PSP. That was a masterpiece. Beautiful story, great gameplay, one of the best games I've played in recent years.

Did you try ogre tactics wolfing? you like turn-based games don't you? I'd say.... go buy it right now :D

Tactics Ogre is an amazing game though, and if more JRPGs had similar turn-based battle systems along with non-linear stories with choices and consequences (Tactics Ogre is a Japanese rarity in this regard), I would play more JRPGs.

There`s a gazillion and one games with such similar battle systems - from purely tactical ones like Disgaea, Front Mission, any -Tactics game to `normal` RPGs like Astonishia Story.

It`s true that choices/consequences is a rare thing in jRpgs - but is it really so common in our Western ones? I mean, the ones that really work?

I wish these style of games would come to the PC more often. I loved Final Fantasy Tactics back when I had a PS1 but I haven't messed with consoles much since then.

There`s a gazillion and one games with such similar battle systems - from purely tactical ones like Disgaea, Front Mission, any -Tactics game to `normal` RPGs like Astonishia Story.

True, there are plenty of JRPGs with similar turn-based combat, but I was trying to say that it would be nice if more JRPGs were made with a similar combat system and had the choice and consequence mechanic of Tactics Ogre. Sorry for not being very clear about that in my original post; I should have explained that in a more detailed way.

You are right that Western RPGs don't always use C&C to its full advantage, but even without C&C, it just seems to me that compared to WRPGs, JRPGs are frustratingly linear, with little exploration in some cases, limited dialogue choices, etc. I'm certainly not saying that JRPGs are bad, they just play out in a different style from what I like about WRPGs, so I've never really gotten into the genre. Tactics Ogre is one of those rare exceptions where I really loved a JRPG.

they just play out in a different style from what I like about WRPGs, so I've never really gotten into the genre. Tactics Ogre is one of those rare exceptions where I really loved a JRPG.

That`s fair enough, sir…I wasn`t arguing really, I`m just on a promoting mission here :) that is because few years back I thought exactly the same…

Truth is if you scratch the surface, youl`l find all kinds of jRpgs - they might look deceptively `samey` but in fact differ greatly when it comes to gameplay.

Arguments about linearity and such are true - but to some extent too, as many of these games start very linear and then open up, usually when you acquire some sort of ship/vehicle. Also games like FF XII are pretty much open anyway…

Dialogues are limited - but they rely on different system of storytelling and are often killed in translation. I got to the point when I actually prefer typical villagers with their one-liners (sometimes amazingly funny and/or profound) to bloated but ultimately empty Bioware `s verbal diarrheas.

I took me quite a few years to get converted, so I`m just saying keep an open mind ;) Rewards are great, for there is no decline in the land of Japan…

(and I don`t expect Wrpg`s to produce wonders like Eternal Sonata soon -surreal tale, where you play a girl that lives in the dreams of none other than Frédéric Chopin, all wrapped up with mindboggling graphics and music :)

Back
Top Bottom