JoWooD Reveals More Details about the Gothic Rights

Here's an interesting thought. Gothic, is a normal word, as well as a 'brand' name. Could PB use it slightly differently, ie Gothic Realms, or something similar?

I'll bet you're right, Corwin. Isn't that sort of asking for it, though? (So sue me...go ahead...I dare ya!).

Just for kicks, I looked up synonyms for Gothic. The results weren't very inspiring: Supernatural, creepy, eerie, melodramatic, grotesque, gloomy and spooky.

It's also a type of architecture, and a dress/lifestyle choice!!

a dress/lifestyle choice!!
There you go :thumbsup:. Though nowadays, many local Goths have returned to the roots and use the word 'Gotik' instead while the game's name still is 'Gothic'.

Nah, that's just how they pronounce it when they're drunk!! :)

Here's an interesting thought. Gothic, is a normal word, as well as a 'brand' name. Could PB use it slightly differently, ie Gothic Realms, or something similar?

Almost certainly, as long as it was not obviously attempting to copy the gothic universe that jowood may or may not own. I already suggested 'The Real Gothic' somewhere else ;)

I think though that it'd be quite hard to make a gothic feel game that had gothic in the title and not be accused of attempting to cash in on the brand.

How about "Gothic Hero of Might and Magic" ?

Nah, I want The Elder Scrolls Ultima Gothic Hero of Might, Magic and Wizardry: Adventures in Planescape!! :)

How about "Been There and Done That" :D I was a bit dissappointed by story and NPC interaction of G3. PB's ambition and effort are commended. I hope they come up with something new yet retain the spirit of G1,2. Seriously, how about "Space Pirates"...something about greg and his gang got suck into another dimension after they took over the Esmeralda :)

How about revisting the first two Gothic games where you play as an ORC hero on the other side of the battle?? They could even write it up so that the nameless hero is actually the bad guy! - kind of like playing as the Covenant in Halo II. They could reveal his name at some point, making it Joe Woodacre, or something that would really stick it to the publisher. :plotting:

This idea would have the added advantage of not having to worry about quality voice acting. You could get a death metal vocalist to play the main character. All he would need do is be able to grunt and grow the following syllables: URRR, UOOGGHH, HAAK, SHAAK! and last but not least, MURBUBOBURH!!

Just make "subtitles on" default and you're good to go! :thumbsup:

Fun idea! Or maybe they could take a Dungeon Keeper approach, and you could be in the role of The Sleeper!

Seriously, how about "Space Pirates"...something about greg and his gang got suck into another dimension after they took over the Esmeralda :)
Now that you mention it... back in 2003, KaiRo said they'd really love to develop a Science Fiction game after Gothic III.

I can see it now; an Alien space ship lands on a post apocalyptic Earth as their water purifier has broken down.....!! :)

I can see it now; an Alien space ship lands on a post apocalyptic Earth as their water purifier has broken down.....!! :)
And the hero was a young farmer trapped under the ship who lost his memory in the accident but bears some strange marking ...

Just let him wake up under the shower. We all know this can explain everything. ;)

Yes, and often waking up under the shower still includes the "strange marking." O_O

There is one sciencefiction game that PB could take to the next level. Does anyone remember a game called Outcast from a belgian game studio named Appeal. Outcast 2 was cancelled by Infogrames but the atmosphere and world was similar to gothic and I think PB could really make the spiritual successor to that game. For info on the game: Outcast II

There was even a mod by some fans that used the gothic engine to recreate outcast 2 after the cancellation.

Back
Top Bottom