The TV Series discussion thread

I thought Arya taking out the Night King was fine in itself, just the way it happened… She basically flew out of nowhere over a mob of undead? Did she sprout wings or something?

Yeah, that was my beef with that bit. I mean, if the Night King is to be defeated, then somebody's got to do it, and it might as well be Arya. But the way it happened just seemed out of nowhere. My mate just burst out laughing and shouted, "Surprise motherfucker!" :biggrin:

on another forum I had a pretty good take on alternative tactics against the dead in episode 3 of GOT. But someone brought up an excellent counter point. . . . Yeah, great tactics - poor television. I then I said you're right. And I asked the poster if he had a newsletter and where do I subscribe.

For fans of Arya.

WARNING: BIG GoT spoilers if you haven't watched all the episodes up to #3 of this season.

Caution: HYPE 🚂
In ten months a lot of little girls named Arya are going to be born. Warning lots of stabbing and throat cutting is in this video. #NotToday

Winter is Coming….

And night is falling, sun is rising.

Great show by all measures. Never watched a single episode, only those vids made by idle minds to make money off YT and all that spinning trying to make sense of any pointless action, feature, all to find out what was known from the start: the end undelivers, does not answer questions etc

Great show because the lack is predictable, people went through similar experiences yet the show still manages to pull a different trick feeling, leading people to get carried away and overhype themselves.

Next stop: the next show when people will get conned again, overthinking what is meant to be a shallow piece of entertainment for people to gossip over, painting it as the best litterature/storytelling work just to face that in the end it was just a shallow piece of entertainment based on social drive.

What I would say, is that if we're just looking at GoT as compared to standard TV entertainment, it obviously comes off very well. My frustration with it is that I don't find it lived up to its initial promise. I really liked that idea of kind of hard fantasy, or medieval realism - where life is nasty, brutish and short, and if you find yourself trapped and surrounded by enemies, you're done. You're not going to swashbuckle your way out of it, or be miraculously saved at the last moment. On the strength of the first series, I thought this could be something really special that would be discussed for a very long time.

As it's worn on, I think it's drifted more towards that sort of standard Hollywood swashbuckling. So, I think I'm always hoping it's going to move back towards the early promise, and really impress me, but it's not really hitting that high bar anymore, IMO.

I agree with a lot of what you've stated above, Ripper, and I lay the fault for that in the current show runners. It's quite obvious that, since about season four, they've no longer enjoyed having the pre-set format just handed to them by the author. When you compare and contrast some of the first years of the show with the latter ones, you can see a huge drop-off in overall quality. It'll all be over in a few more hours, and then we can all hope we get the finished novels in the future!

That said, the overall story arc and character development is so fantastic it still far eclipses anything else CURRENTLY on the tube or the movie screen.

I get that some G.R. Martin fans are incapable of acknowledging anything positive about the show, but I still get a kick out of the people who pretend there's been some huge drop in quality.

Fact is, the show is as highly rated as it ever was, and viewership has actually increased. GoT has bucked that trend when it comes to long-running shows.

I usually hate Vox but they have an article on the last episodes military tactics.

Link - https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/4/30/18522955/game-of-thrones-season-8-battle-winterfell-military
To find out, I called two military experts: Ryan Grauer, an associate professor of international affairs at the University of Pittsburgh, and Mick Cook, an Australian combat veteran who fought in Afghanistan. Together, they agreed that Jon and Dany’s military tactics were wanting — and in some cases downright horrible.
Beware spoilers if you haven't watched the new season yet.

I'm starting to become amazed at how hung up some people are on that.

I guess it's a testament to how popular the show is though.

Seems Fabian Wagner the cinematographer behind the show is correct.:)
With a lot of hype comes a lot of criticism,” he says. “People love to find something to talk about, and so that’s totally fine.”

The new Swamp Thing comic reboot has a new trailer.

That whole flickering scene was already established in the new opening credits, though, and didn't need to be repeated by the Dothraki death-charge, unless they gave their audience no credit for catching it the first time. You can clearly see the torches going out in the crypts during the opening, it didn't need to be repeated. Using the credits like that is pretty clever, and it really set up the episode for me in a particular way, but then that way just fell apart.

Didn't they pull the plug on that whole DC online television platform? At least I thought I heard or read that a few weeks ago.
Most marvel proprieties have been pulled to move to the new Disney service. Since this is a DC Universe setting made by WB it will be on the DC Universe streaming service.

Anyway just realized I put this in the wrong thread.:(

That said, the overall story arc and character development is so fantastic it still far eclipses anything else CURRENTLY on the tube or the movie screen.
Once you step into the world of asian "soaps" (that last about a dozen of episodes and a single season) you won't post such nonsense. :p
The current asian hit is Blue Eyes aka Kill It, it got completed last weekend (12 total episodes).

About GoT I won't be posting anything till it's done. Kinda… I rarely talk about stuff midway unless something got on my nerves so much I need to let off some steam through trolling (mushrooms in Person of Interest last season midway). Or if something feels so good I desperately need to point it out (dolls episode in current Legends of Tomorrow season).

I'm surprised so many people are mentioning the cavalry charge. I thought it was pretty obvious why they charged when they did.

Were they supposed to just wait there until the dead surrounded them and nullified the advantage of being on a horse in the first place? They knew the enemy was almost upon them because they could actually hear them at that point.

You also have to factor the catapults which are completely useless if the enemy is allowed to close in too quickly.

Oh, I'm definitely an armchair general. :)
I think they could have used their cavalry a lot smarter than they did. They could have been kept at a distance, then have flanked the undead host once the infantry was engaged, for example. But this was just "throwing them away", IMHO. "All they could do was charge, so they just charged" seems like poor reasoning.

The Dothraki charged for one reason. To give us the scene where their lights flicker out. Someone also forgot to give them the Dragon Glass memo.

Probably, yeah. Because DRAMA.

Back
Top Bottom