Matt Chat - Colin McComb on Torment and Planescape - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Matt Chat - Colin McComb on Torment and Planescape

Default Matt Chat - Colin McComb on Torment and Planescape

January 19th, 2020, 23:56
Matt Chat talked with Colin McComb about Torment and Planescape.

loading…

In my final segment with Colin McComb, we chat about Torment: Tides of Numenera, the stretch goals, how well it follows up the legacy of Planescape: Torment, what else Colin would like to design, and much more.
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)

January 20th, 2020, 01:59
I still don't know where it went all the money raised. The game was uber short and lacking in all departments, a truly unworthy successor to PST.

Telstar

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

January 20th, 2020, 08:26
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
I still don't know where it went all the money raised. The game was uber short and lacking in all departments, a truly unworthy successor to PST.
I disagree, I found it a compelling and interesting game, one which I'll gladly replay. While not PS:T level, it still was excellent in my opinion.

TomRon

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

January 20th, 2020, 08:36
Well regardless past interviews claim that Torment: Tides of Numenera was a commercial flop just like Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep was. Hope Wasteland 3 sells better.

On the brightside the kickstarter and Early Access profits probably helped a lot.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by
lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ― Robert Heinlein
Last edited by Couchpotato; January 20th, 2020 at 09:44.

Couchpotato

Lazy Layabout

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

January 20th, 2020, 11:38
Originally Posted by TomRon View Post
I disagree, I found it a compelling and interesting game, one which I'll gladly replay. While not PS:T level, it still was excellent in my opinion.
Excellent… LOL!!! You are literally the first one I saw who liked this pretentious mediocrity, unfortunately I have to tell you that you're a poop lover. I guess life can't continue without poop lovers like you, it's the chain of life…

DarkOzric

Cosmic Wanderer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

January 20th, 2020, 12:40
Originally Posted by DarkOzric View Post
Excellent… LOL!!! You are literally the first one I saw who liked this pretentious mediocrity, unfortunately I have to tell you that you're a poop lover. I guess life can't continue without poop lovers like you, it's the chain of life…
Literally the first? You obviously don't get out much…the game has mostly positive reviews on steam. For me it was Game of the Year when I played it. But hey, not everyone can read and there are lots of people out who prefer their games full of QTE's

I saw this previous gem you posted:
Sounds like a "game" for storyfags.
Sounds like you provide a lot of valuable insights! You are certainly highly educated and not at all an internet troll!
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

January 20th, 2020, 15:47
Put me right in the heap with TomRon as one that enjoyed both games. I've played the first one maybe five times over the years, and the newest one twice to date, and I suspect a third time will happen either later this year or next. It may be a short, brief game, but they totally nailed the same premise and mood of the first game, in my opinion. Sure, it could have been even better, but it turned out quite good, especially when you consider some of the junk that passes for entertainment these days.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)

January 20th, 2020, 17:29
Originally Posted by bjon045 View Post
Literally the first? You obviously don't get out much…the game has mostly positive reviews on steam. For me it was Game of the Year when I played it. But hey, not everyone can read and there are lots of people out who prefer their games full of QTE's

I saw this previous gem you posted:

Sounds like you provide a lot of valuable insights! You are certainly highly educated and not at all an internet troll!
I enjoyed Disco Elysium, your argument about "read" and "QTE's" is a fail, and what about your "valuable insights"? Saying that it has "mostly positive reviews on steam" is "valuable insight" for you? Ok, on GoG it have the most mediocre reviews are you happy now? LOL. Plus, GoG users are more reliable than steam's, at least for me. Just admit that you liked it but it was the biggest Kickstarter fiasco and move on with your life, it's not a shame to like mediocre games…

DarkOzric

Cosmic Wanderer

January 20th, 2020, 17:45
Gubenera: The Horrendening I found unplayable, because Mr. Colitis & his Writers Team declared they did the best writing ever on this one.
Curiously if you check the writing credits of super-amazing Planescape Torment go to Maistro Chris Avellone.. so Mr. Colitis can go to hell and SHT his useless brains out!
So it turned out that Gubenera was an utterly insufferable JUNKHEAP. As usual, what inXile produced was worthless trash and it verily prevented me agonizing through the wretched ""Tormentumenera intro"" or shall we call it Torments of Enema? Had to uninstall it as I found it thoroughly insufferable.
REFUNDED!!
A V O I D W A R E™

In comparison: the masterful Planescape Torment was a bliss to play!!

mercy

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
+1:

January 20th, 2020, 17:48
The game is so good that the sales of Numenera have reached the basement, a huge achievement! It's so successful with millions of positive reviews on steam and now the devs are preparing to make a director's cut, a sequel and a threequel!!!

DarkOzric

Cosmic Wanderer

January 21st, 2020, 21:36
The game is so good that the sales of Numenera have reached the basement, a huge achievement! It's so successful with millions of positive reviews on steam and now the devs are preparing to make a director's cut, a sequel and a threequel!!!
Wow, obviously a sensitive topic? I do not for a second dispute the fact the game sold poorly, neither I nor anyone else is claiming it was a huge success financially. I'm just saying I throughly enjoyed playing the game. Or if I'm being honest, mostly I enjoyed READING the game, but that would be true for PS:T as well.

Now don't get me wrong, PS:T is and will probably always be in my Top 10 GOAT. ToN doesn't reach that highly, but would be included in my Top 100.

TomRon

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Matt Chat - Colin McComb on Torment and Planescape