Positive article on gaming for once

wolfgrimdark

Follower of Fenris Wolf
Original Sin Donor
A rather interesting article on gaming with a more positive spin:

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/playing-video-games-makes-us-fully-human?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Pete Etchells, a professor of psychology and communications in England, and author of the book, Lost in a Good Game, thinks video games tap into the reaches of emotional and moral faculties that traditional arts and entertainment can’t reach. The player can drive action, exert agency, and explore imagined worlds freely. Video games, Etchells says, “embody the principles of existentialism.” A story can be cathartic but only a game can make you feel guilty for what you’ve done or were compelled to do. A 2010 paper in Review of General Psychology states, “Compared with other media such as books, films, and radio, electronic games appear to have an unusually expansive appeal and serve a surprising number of emotional, social, and intellectual needs.”4 For Etchells, an avid gamer, video games are a “creative medium” that can “offer us unparalleled opportunities for exploring what it means to be human.”

I've seen plenty of positive things about gaming in the general media. It's not mentioned as much as it should be, IMHO. Newspapers are way more likely to give you recommendations on books and movies than games, for instance.

I've seen plenty of positive things about gaming in the general media. It's not mentioned as much as it should be, IMHO. Newspapers are way more likely to give you recommendations on books and movies than games, for instance.

That is good to know. I think the negative ones stand out in my memory, or just haven't seen as many positive ones, which gives the impression there are few positive ones.

I also resonated with this a bit more as I tend to play characters that are a more ideal me - someone I would strive to be more like as far as core values and strength of will and purpose.

I do think he's onto something. I think there's something uniquely powerful about having agency in a narrative, that is different from the arts that went before. And I think that sense of involvement doesn't have to stem from branching choice and consequence - even in a linear game, the fact that you fought that battle and eventually progressed things is still very potent.

I saw an interview recently with John Carpenter, and he's someone who sees games as an exciting new art form for the future. I agree. I think the early phase of gaming was fairly "bubblegum" compared to the best of the traditional arts, but I think the potential is enormous. It's worth considering that even the novel is a relatively recent invention in human history.

Personally, I don't believe that everything in gaming is "art".
I can recognize art when I see it.

Some games, however, are ot art; they are basically merely cash-grabs.

And don't get me started on the lack of story. Some games just don't have much of it. And I personally regard rather those games as "art" which have some impactful story.
To animate a gamer to simply press several buttons is not "art" to me.

And games being art ... how comes that Microsoft doesn't develop the tools to preserve this art in the future ? Museums will have a hard time.

On the positive side, i began driving much more cautiously in RL since i learned how easily one can crash with a space sim starfighter into anything and lose life because of that in-game.

And games being art … how comes that Microsoft doesn't develop the tools to preserve this art in the future ? Museums will have a hard time.

I agree with the idea that not all games are art while at the same knowing what one considers art is pretty subjective at times. I have seen some art that seems more like some artist just trying to get attention for their ego and/or cash grab. It may still be art but looks like trash to me :p

Anyhow I wanted to point out there are some video game museums already:

http://www.museumofgaming.org.uk/
https://www.museumofplay.org/about/icheg

And a WIKI List: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_museums

Back
Top Bottom