Arkane Studios - Taking a Break from Dishonored

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@segmentnext Arkane will be taking a break from Dishonored for awhile.

Despite the critical acclaim that Dishonored 2 got, and the big reaction to the standalone expansion “Death of the Outsider”, Arkane Studios has announced that they will be taking a break from Dishonored games for a while, so the next game likely won’t be coming out anytime soon for you big fans.

Dishonored has, for the past few years since its debut in 2012, been telling us the story of a number of special individuals in a hostile and oftentimes frightening and eldritch world as they are given the power to take revenge on those who wronged them by a being known as the Outsider.

[...]
More information.

Despite the critical acclaim that Dishonored 2 got, and the big reaction to the standalone expansion “Death of the Outsider”.
Well Dishonored 2 was good but only sold1.5 million at best. As for Death of the Outsider it sold a lot less and was criticized by many, and mostly for it's price & asset reuse.

Would I buy a possible Dishonored 3? It depends on the setting given Death of the Outsider, and how it affected the world at large. So yeah not a fan of those endings.

I enjoyed Dishonored 2 and somewhat enjoyed Dishonored 1, but I did not really enjoy the setting all that much for some reason. I would probably buy Dishonored 3 if it seemed good, but not right away. By contrast, I enjoyed another Arkane game Prey's setting (and overall game) a whole lot.

I loved both Dishonoreds, and I'd definitely buy a third. I loved the setting.
I finally got around to buying Death of the Outsider and have yet to play it, but I doubt my mind would be changed, even if it ends up to be a disappointment.

Arkane Studios has been thoroughly dishonored from making psychotic Dishonored, so - they are Taking a Break.

I thought Dishonoured was ok too, but not exciting enough for me to get the sequel.

It depresses me to think that we may not ever see an Arx Fatalis 2; particularly since former president Raphael Colontonio has now mostly departed the scene after 18 years.

With the resources at Bethesda's disposal, such a project could be amazing if executed well. There is still time yet with Underworld Ascendant's imminent release to prove the profitability of the genre, but I am very sceptical - perhaps mods like Arx Liberatis are the most we can hope for.

Frankly, I never cared for the setting or the art style (though the sequel was miles better) - so if they're going to do the same thing in another setting, that would potentially be ideal for my part.

I really loved the original Thief games, so really took to the Dishonored franchise. However, I did find myself starting to get a bored part way through the second; it was good, but way too similar to the first in terms of game-play.

I'm really glad Arkane has got the sense to work on something new, rather than to keep squeezing out the same format from a franchise, with little room for innovation. If only Hollywood could learn the same lesson.

The next Elder Scrolls will probably be guilty of the above, but I'm still going to buy it anyway :roll:

Unfortunately there is more to it…
https://www.vg247.com/2018/08/14/arkane-dishonored-3-the-crossing/

Read this:
During QuakeCon 2018, I asked Arkane lead designer Ricardo Bare if it’s likely we’ll see a return to something like The Crossing.

“Not literally The Crossing, but for sure some elements,” Bare explains. “Being able to incorporate more online sharing or multiplayer type stuff, we totally might do that. It’s interesting because, for a while, there was this push with a bunch of big publishers to force teams to include multiplayer modes.

Its not sure so we might hope they wont do it.

They can do wathever they want as long as they continue making masterpieces.

I really enjoyed the first but haven't played the second yet. Partly because I have a lot of games in my queue but mostly that I wanted a good long break between the two so when I did play the second it would feel fresh. I try to do that with sequels where I like the first game because usually sequels feel somewhat the same, so with some time to let the first one fade in my memory, I know I'll usually enjoy the second more.

It depresses me to think that we may not ever see an Arx Fatalis 2; particularly since former president Raphael Colontonio has now mostly departed the scene after 18 years.

With the resources at Bethesda's disposal, such a project could be amazing if executed well. There is still time yet with Underworld Ascendant's imminent release to prove the profitability of the genre, but I am very sceptical - perhaps mods like Arx Liberatis are the most we can hope for.

Arx Fatalis with swordplays from Dark Messiah, Stealth from Dark Project, no (over)powers (my only big complaint about the Dishonored serie) and Bethesda's big money?

I would give everything (or everyone) to play such a game!

So far I've liked nearly all Arkane Studios games - so maybe what they do next will be decent (though there has been some leadership change and their owner, bethesda, is likely to be a nuisance in their future direction).

So far I've liked nearly all Arkane Studios games - so maybe what they do next will be decent (though there has been some leadership change and their owner, bethesda, is likely to be a nuisance in their future direction).

As much as I dislike Bethesda (for milking Fallout into mediocrity), It's a good publisher. So far, ID Softwares, MachineGames and Arkane Studios all had enough freedom to do what they like and it shows.

It's not EA...

Beth is slowly becoming EA (First ESO rubbish, then Fallout and Elderscrolls phonegames with scamming microtransactions).

But whatever, this is about Arkane.
Dishonored 2 added so many new stuff (timetravel, the movie "cube" like puzzle, robbing smugglers by exploration, etc) and forcing another sequel too fast would deliver only a forgettable clone possibly not worth buying (an example is Ubisoft's FC4).
Taking time basically to "materialize" even more ideas into the third game is the best news I've heard today. Till then, they can continue slapping Prey clones to keep steady income, there are enough of... erm... lemme use "notaste people", who'll continue buying that grinding mediocrity.

I never finished dishonored 1 and never played 2 so I Cant really comment wether this is or bad.

If they were to make another Arx, I’d want them to drop the rune drawing for spells. Didn’t care for that at all.

Back
Top Bottom