Building a new site - Page 4 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » RPGWatch » Building a new site

Default Building a new site

May 8th, 2022, 20:57
Originally Posted by Eye View Post
Our server is in Germany, we are having a Dutch contract with it, and our siteowner is Dutch; Dutch, German and European laws apply.
My mistake, I thought the server was in the Netherlands too. But as you say, what matters is Europe / US / … and not the country.

Thanks, we still have some time to figure that out. I'm only thinking that if we have enough choice, maybe it's safer to stick to something simple instead of mixing regions of the world.
Redglyph is offline

Redglyph

Redglyph's Avatar
SasqWatch

#61

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Good old Europe
Posts: 5,087
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)

Default 

May 8th, 2022, 21:57
I had another look at xenforo and they have a very active dev community for addons.

https://www.xf2addons.com/resources/ - this is just one of them.

Seems like it would be the easiest option for the forum at least. Anyone able to program the newspage?
Pladio is offline

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

#62

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,039
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)

Default 

May 8th, 2022, 23:17
Originally Posted by Eye View Post
TOS of Sorcerer's Place:


So how come the Codex is not in trouble?

Where are the servers located?
And is he just turning a blind eye and think he'll get away with possible legal consequences by pointing to the HSO if they knock on his door? (Not with a TOS like that imo). Or is he just taking the chance no one will ever knock on his door? Small fish?

Edit
Not that it is any concern of mine, of course.
But it might be interesting to know what might happen to the Watch in the long run,
I don't get what you mean by "Why Codex is not in trouble?" I don'tknow if you're referring to the part of the TOS where it reads (…)abusive, threatening, defamatory, racist, or obscene content(…) but RPGCodex may allegate that they don't promote/enforce/agree to such contents, t's the members of that community who make some comments with those inappropriate subjects. Not that I'm defending them, I am not. It's just that I could not understand what you meant

EDIT: Never mind, I *think* my question was previously answered in this same thread. Unless it wasn't…
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!
henriquejr is offline

henriquejr

henriquejr's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#63

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Brasil
Posts: 3,394
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)

Default 

May 8th, 2022, 23:20
I definitely think it would be a good idea to avoiding hosting under EU rules. In theory, they wouldn't really be a problem because the Watch would probably want to maintain rules on basic conduct that wouldn't fall afoul of them anyway. But the issue, IMO, is that they are poorly conceived and drafted, and the language way too open to interpretation - you never know if your interpretation would tally with the judge's, in the unlikely event it came to that.

Eye and Myrthos explained to me that the Dutch literally have a law that says it's illegal to cause offence to a person or group. I think that's a bad law, and I don't mean that because I don't like it, it's therefore bad. What I mean is that it's so ridiculously broad, the only way it can work is if it's ignored 99% of the time, and only enforced arbitrarily if the offence is deemed significant enough.

Well, pardon my French, but bugger that. I think it would be rational to have sensible rules on conduct that suit us, but not be hosted in a jurisdiction with that sort of thing hanging over us.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Бажаю успіху

#64

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 11,429
Mentioned: 122 Post(s)

Default 

May 9th, 2022, 00:55
Yea, the EU is doing ridiculous new things cracking down on free speech, and they are trying to enforce it on the world. Ripper is right about that. And the EU are fools if they think the USA will comply with their absurd standards. Especially with Elon Musk now in the picture. He is old school when it comes to free speech and grew up in our generation where it was taught to be highly valued and foundational to the United States. He won't bend on this, I don't think anyway, he will probably tell EU to go fuck themselves and they won't be able to be on twitter then in the future once he takes over.

Since the EU has decided to go full Big Brother on speech codes, they will start finding themselves lonely, if they want access to US platforms in the future, I think.

(the tide is turning hard when it comes to this stuff, in other words, here in the USA, I can tell you that much)

So I agree with to avoid the new site being under EU rules and speech codes, if at all possible.
--
"The old ways are lost," you sang as you flew
And I wondered why -- Loreena McKennitt - The Old Ways
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404
Arkadia7 is offline

Arkadia7

Arkadia7's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

#65

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pacific NorthWest, USA!
Posts: 1,990
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

May 9th, 2022, 01:10
Originally Posted by Arkadia7 View Post
Especially with Elon Musk now in the picture. He is old school when it comes to free speech and grew up in our generation where it was taught to be highly valued and foundational to the United States.
But Elon Musk grew up in apartheid South Africa I don't think they were well-known for their free speech traditions? But maybe I'm wrong.

Otherwise I agree. The big American social media companies have been telling European governments/regulators/nannies to go fuck themselves on many of these issues for a long time, and hopefully that doesn't change. What's going on in many countries over there, in various respects, is downright scary.
Stingray is offline

Stingray

SasqWatch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#66

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,504
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

Default 

May 9th, 2022, 01:17
Just to say, folks, with no authority whatsoever, let's maybe not take it down a political road. I can see how you go there from what I said, but I'm just trying to look at practicalities, and pros and cons, with regard to a new site.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Бажаю успіху

#67

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 11,429
Mentioned: 122 Post(s)

Default 

May 9th, 2022, 01:18
Yea, but Musk's father was anti-apartheid politician and activist, and his grandfather was American born. So I think he probably valued free speech from his father at the time, because his father was against the government policy at the time.

And Musk came to America young, and went to the University of Pennsylvania to finish up his bachelors degree, so he went to university back when it was still teaching classical liberal values like free speech and so on.

Updated: Anyway, not trying to bring up politics, so rest assured I won't post more about this.
--
"The old ways are lost," you sang as you flew
And I wondered why -- Loreena McKennitt - The Old Ways
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404
Arkadia7 is offline

Arkadia7

Arkadia7's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

#68

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pacific NorthWest, USA!
Posts: 1,990
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

May 9th, 2022, 02:12
I'd recommend hosting in Singapore or Australia and having the person who "owns" the site as an Australian Citizen. Friendly and no oppressive requirements. Whenever we get a GDPR request we politely just ignore them

The company I work for went through a discovery process with PWC with the aim being to not spend any money on it (GDPR). This was for a company with 3 mil customers and about 50k of them being residents of europe. PWC said nothing was required since there was no legal recourse available against us in the local region.
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.
bjon045 is offline

bjon045

bjon045's Avatar
SasqWatch

#69

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sigil
Posts: 2,104
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

Default 

May 9th, 2022, 05:13
Originally Posted by bjon045 View Post
I'd recommend hosting in Singapore or Australia and having the person who "owns" the site as an Australian Citizen. Friendly and no oppressive requirements. Whenever we get a GDPR request we politely just ignore them

The company I work for went through a discovery process with PWC with the aim being to not spend any money on it (GDPR). This was for a company with 3 mil customers and about 50k of them being residents of europe. PWC said nothing was required since there was no legal recourse available against us in the local region.
What about Australian censorship laws?

I know quite a few games aren't allowed to be sold in Australia due to that. I guess it's allowed to discuss the games, but maybe not allowed to link to digital stores where to buy it?

And in Singapore it's illegal to be a homosexual (woman), they have some of the most invasive surveillance in the world, and it's not a democracy. Isn't there a risk in that?

Not being against any of them, just thinking out loud.

What about Norway? They are in Europe, but not in the EU. However, it is likely expensive to have it there and they often follow EU regulations to some extent I believe.

What's so hard about GDPR by the way? Isn't the basics that a user has a right to know when personal information is used/stored, what it says if the ask for it, and have it deleted if they want to?
SveNitoR is offline

SveNitoR

SveNitoR's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#70

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,270
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Default 

May 9th, 2022, 07:03
Originally Posted by SveNitoR View Post
What's so hard about GDPR by the way? Isn't the basics that a user has a right to know when personal information is used/stored, what it says if the ask for it, and have it deleted if they want to?
Yes, which many older systems don't support. There can also be insane penalties for a breach. There are also a lot of security considerations, mandatory breach notification etc.

To give you an idea of why it can be an issue, the company I work for had costed GDPR compliance at around 4 million - this is despite it not having any "benefits" to the company. We decided to remain non-compliant. If you are a company in Europe or a compliant country you pretty much have to be.

There are probably tons of other coutries with a similar "friendly" legal system, I was just giving the ones I know - I have no idea if Norway is the same.
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.
bjon045 is offline

bjon045

bjon045's Avatar
SasqWatch

#71

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sigil
Posts: 2,104
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

May 9th, 2022, 09:49
I think GDPR is a good thing, it gives people better control of their data and limits how it can be used. If it is so expensive for a company to get it implemented it also means that the way currently data is managed by that company probably leaves much to be desired and is only in favor of that company and not of the people who they get that data from.
I have to deal with the effects of GDPR on a daily basis at work and yes, it does take time to do it properly, but it is much better to how it was before, where we just collected data and did with it what we wanted. It might be less efficient for the company, but it is much better for the people we get that data from.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde
Myrthos is offline

Myrthos

Myrthos's Avatar
Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

#72

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 10,382
Mentioned: 220 Post(s)

Default 

May 9th, 2022, 09:57
At this point, shouldn't we split the thread? I'm afraid that if we pour everything into one, it'll become so messy we'll lose precious information. I've made one for the hosting.

I've installed a few toys on a VM to see how Drupal is behaving, but I didn't have much time this weekend so there's still some work to do.
I'm usually using Apache but this time I set up Nginx. Sharing several apps is not intuitive with this one but it's supposed to have better performances, I don't know if some of you have used it recently. Hopefully that'll be preset by the host provider anyway.

If nobody has done it yet, I'll create another CMS/forum thread when I have a better understanding on what is possible; I'm mainly wonder 1) if their forum module is worth considering, 2) if that looks easy to plug another forum like Xenforo, and in general just how difficult or easy it looks.

Little question for later, maybe for @Myrthos, have you tried Xenforo and do you have a trial version, or do you know if that's easy to get?
Redglyph is offline

Redglyph

Redglyph's Avatar
SasqWatch

#73

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Good old Europe
Posts: 5,087
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

May 9th, 2022, 10:04
Originally Posted by bjon045 View Post
Y…I have no idea if Norway is the same.
We follow EU, so yes, we're the same.

pibbuR who like Myrrthos thinks GDPR is a good thing for the users and prefers not to use sites not complying with it.
--
Over the mountain watching the watcher
pibbuR is offline

pibbuR

pibbuR's Avatar
Feeling … lonely?

#74

Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Bergen@Norway
Posts: 1,031
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

May 9th, 2022, 10:10
I would like to make a distinction.
There is the GDPR, the upcoming DSA (with greater obligations on bigger companies), the civil laws of the European Union and the laws of the specific country (that apply to company, contract, private person).
--
Getting a YouTube video loaded and other BB codes, see this post
Last edited by Eye; May 9th, 2022 at 10:24.
Eye is offline

Eye

Eye's Avatar
Eye Watch
Super Moderator

#75

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,607
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

May 9th, 2022, 10:53
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
Wouldn't it be better to have two or three people, to share the load but also to have a backup and to avoid missing something important?
Yes, obviously sharing the load is better. However there still needs to be a single site owner (being legally responsible) and imho someone being the main server admin. That can be but doesn't need to be the same person. If it's not the same person there is potential conflict tough. What if the site owner asks the server admin to do a certain thing (e.g. fix a security issue) but the server admin just doesn't do it?

Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
At this point, shouldn't we split the thread? I'm afraid that if we pour everything into one, it'll become so messy we'll lose precious information. I've made one for the hosting.
Yeah, please no mixed in political discussion. However I don't know if my previous comment would fit a "hosting" thread.

Because imho the main problem at this point isn't a technical one but an organisational one.
There needs to be one person who is in charge and thus legally responsible. Then he/she could find a team and proceed.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw


Currently playing: Black Geyser
Morrandir is online now

Morrandir

Morrandir's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#76

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 4,406
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

Default 

May 9th, 2022, 10:55
For the record, I have been contacted during the weekend about a potential hosting of RPGWatch somewhere else, with the whole technical and financial side being managed by the hoster.
The site would still need a team of news editors and moderators though.

As far as a more or less seamless transition is going, this could be an option.

We had a bit of a discussion, but nothing has been decided yet.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde
Myrthos is offline

Myrthos

Myrthos's Avatar
Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

#77

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 10,382
Mentioned: 220 Post(s)

Default 

May 9th, 2022, 10:57
That would be awesome!

Not to be nitpicky, but would "technical and financial side" also include the legal side?
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw


Currently playing: Black Geyser
Morrandir is online now

Morrandir

Morrandir's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#78

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 4,406
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

Default 

May 9th, 2022, 11:17
Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
For the record, I have been contacted during the weekend about a potential hosting of RPGWatch somewhere else, with the whole technical and financial side being managed by the hoster.
The site would still need a team of news editors and moderators though.

As far as a more or less seamless transition is going, this could be an option.

We had a bit of a discussion, but nothing has been decided yet.
That's good - I think a whole transfer is what would make most members happiest. When I read the "End Is Nigh" thread, I actually found some of comments quite affecting, and starting thinking about ways to sort it out.

They better get their skates on, though, and confirm the End is Not Nigh, if they want to defeat my evil schemes.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Бажаю успіху

#79

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 11,429
Mentioned: 122 Post(s)

Default 

May 9th, 2022, 11:31
Yes, it's not the GDPR that's a problem, IMO, but some of the other laws, and the coming DSA. For example, we're actually committing a crime in the Netherlands by insulting the royal family, or the heads of state of allied countries. So, due to my activities in P&R on a Dutch-hosted site, I should probably be serving multiple consecutive life sentences.

My point is just that if we're freely picking a new jurisdiction, let's avoid that sort of thing, and also laws on forum owners that might put them under undue stress about legal liabilities for things their communities post. If it were me in that situation, I'd want to keep the forum a civilized place, but not worry about legal penalties if someone decides the standard was wrong.
--
"I cannot define the real problem, therefore I suspect there's no real problem, but I'm not sure there's no real problem."
Richard Feynman
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Бажаю успіху

#80

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 11,429
Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » RPGWatch » Building a new site
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:21.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch