The TV Series discussion thread - Page 351 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread

Default The TV Series discussion thread

May 21st, 2022, 05:38
So, lest you think I'm bitching about this, not at all. I think it's rather flattering. There's no question of "plagiarism" when you work for them it's work-for-hire, so they own it anyway.
Yeah that's part of the contract you sign when you work for a company. All your work belongs to them. It's not fair but it is what it is, and probably will never change.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”
Last edited by Couchpotato; May 21st, 2022 at 07:26.

Couchpotato

Half Rotten Potato

Mentioned: 167 Post(s)

May 21st, 2022, 07:23
If you don't want to wait until the 27th, you can check out the first 8 minutes of Season 4 of Stranger Thngs.

I hope this is indicative of what the season is going to be like. It feels like a return to the vibe of the first season which I thought was great.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)

May 21st, 2022, 18:05
I was really angry when I wrote that last night, it hit me on a visceral level that someone who is no longer alive and able to defend herself would have her works abused/used in such a manner.

And it still smacks of thievery to me. In some ways this show, should they continue business like this, may be far worse/insidious than ST or Discard are.

In not-so-angry news, I watched the first episode of Night Sky last night, a new show with Spacek/Simmons in the leads. I thought the pilot was pretty good and will be checking out the next episode soon.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)

May 23rd, 2022, 22:51
The current Mayans series has been on/off for me. They had some sleeper episodes in which not much was happening, yet now it looks like there might be a real confrontation coming up between Mayans/SamCro. Of course the brothers in the San Pedro Mayan chapter despise Happy, so they are quite gung-ho about instigating something, and now that SamCro basically assassinated one of their members, stuff might be close to getting real nasty.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

May 24th, 2022, 00:03
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
The current Mayans series has been on/off for me. They had some sleeper episodes in which not much was happening, yet now it looks like there might be a real confrontation coming up between Mayans/SamCro. Of course the brothers in the San Pedro Mayan chapter despise Happy, so they are quite gung-ho about instigating something, and now that SamCro basically assassinated one of their members, stuff might be close to getting real nasty.
I tried to watch Mayans. I should have known better from my time with Sons of Anarchy. I watch plenty of shows with criminal/villainous characters, but these shows are among the few that I feel are actively wanting us to celebrate garbage humans as noble heroes. Far too misogynistic for me as well. Women are portrayed with more nuance and thoughtfulness in The Last Kingdom, for god's sake, and that's set hundreds of years ago.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)

May 24th, 2022, 03:36
Hahaha yes indeed, sometimes to most fun I have with these shows is by praying for certain characters to meet with a very nasty demise! I got pulled into Mayans because the idea of having a basic street villain with an eidetic memory really flies against the norm and made me rather curious, not to mention coming from the same folks that gave us Samcro.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

May 27th, 2022, 18:21
I've been keeping my entertainment going well telly-wise these days with Bosch: Legacy, Good Omens, and Night Sky in frequent rotation. I've not finished with any of them yet, though I'd say all three are worth checking out.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

May 28th, 2022, 10:24
Watched the first 3 episodes of Stranger Things Season 4. It's not doing much for me so far. Hopefully it gets better, but I think I might have been expecting too much.

It seems a little less silly than Season 3 was, but I'm finding it somewhat boring. Maybe it's just a slow start.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

May 28th, 2022, 11:51
Finished Ozark. What a depressing ending that was. Almost nobody got what they deserved.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 220 Post(s)

May 28th, 2022, 12:03
Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
Finished Ozark. What a depressing ending that was. Almost nobody got what they deserved.
I agree, it was a sad ending. But somehow not really unexpected.

I'm not sure there will be a season 5 after that, but one never knows.

Redglyph

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)

May 28th, 2022, 15:44
After episode 4 of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, I can say that for me it's the best Trek since Voyager.

While I generally don't dislike Discovery and Picard, both feel more like spinoffs (well, that's what Picard is anyway), reinterpretations or fanfiction. Orville was great, and although it didn't bear the name, it was essentially classic Trek. Enterprise was somewhere in between, but too close to our own time for me, relatively speaking.

ST: SNW feels like TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY, but properly modernized. Mostly serialized with focus on a Sci-Fi adventure of the week. Likeable characters. No relationship overload. No endless emotional drama where characters spend half their screen time mourning over drama that happened in other episodes.

Arhu

Two Sides
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
+1:

May 28th, 2022, 18:03
I agree that Star Trek: Strange New Worlds is the best of the newest Trek, yet, well, that still doesn't say much. I'm rather fuming about how they disrespected Fontana in the third episode, unless some quiet deal was made on the off-side, which I guess is possible. I'd be very curious to read what any of her living relatives might think about the matter.

Now, if we could only get the characters to behave like they're actually part of a military organization….ya know, things like respect, responsibility, discipline, etc. We'll see how it goes.

Enterprise took a long time to hit a good stride, and was cut down right on the cusp of doing so, in my opinion. That final series was pretty top notch stuff.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

May 28th, 2022, 18:15
I watched Rise of Empires: Ottoman, it's nicely done and recount a part of history I know nothing about (yet).

And I started watching Shadow and Bone, which follows the classic "people yielding magic must be segregated because they almost ended the world" and "I thought I was nobody and now I have to save the world" patterns. But it seems creative enough and mixed with different plots to make it attractive and interesting.

Redglyph

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)

May 28th, 2022, 20:22
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
I agree, it was a sad ending. But somehow not really unexpected.

I'm not sure there will be a season 5 after that, but one never knows.
Ozark is definitely finished.

I'm still going strong on The Last Kingdom. I'm halfway through season 4 and finding it as addicting as ever. I'll find time to watch Stranger Things season 4 soon.

Next week The Boys and Orville (finally) come out, and I'm looking forward to both of those, especially the former.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
+1:

May 28th, 2022, 20:47
Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
I thought most of the characters got what they deserved throughout the series.

I liked the ending, but I can understand why some people wouldn't.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

May 29th, 2022, 01:17
I liked Ozark right up until the final scene, which I thought was pretty pathetic.
Aside from that, it's some of the best TV I've seen.
--
Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

FIRST KNIGHT OF THE ORDER OF THE BLOB

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

May 29th, 2022, 04:22
Originally Posted by Shagnak View Post
I liked Ozark right up until the final scene, which I thought was pretty pathetic.
Aside from that, it's some of the best TV I've seen.
You must have despised the ending of The Sopranos.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

May 29th, 2022, 06:14
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
You must have despised the ending of The Sopranos.
Yes, yes, I did
And that's also one of my favourite series ever.
--

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

May 29th, 2022, 18:29
I'm still flabbergasted that anyone couldn't see the end of Sopranos coming. It was quite perfect, me thinks.

Hint hint…..if you think Tony walked alive out of that restaurant, you were not paying attention. -p

I've been keeping track of Blacklist, this most recent series has been really hit or miss. They have some decent episodes, like Marvin being behind what happened to Keen, and some real head-scratchers….androids as prostituting murderers. I mean, the vane really swings with this show!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

May 29th, 2022, 22:49
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I'm still flabbergasted that anyone couldn't see the end of Sopranos coming. It was quite perfect, me thinks.

Hint hint…..if you think Tony walked alive out of that restaurant, you were not paying attention. -p
That's hardly the point - yes , you'd assume that was what happened - but a personal investment in a series as long as that deserves some sort of payoff. Even seeing a gun drawn on him and the expression on his face as fate finally catches up with him would have sufficed.

I've liked plenty of movies with more ambiguous endings than that, but sometimes it's more irritating than artful, especially in a long TV series when you want to see series long machinations come to a head.

Sopranos, Bloodlines, Ozark, (and others) deserved better. It didn't stop any of them from still being pretty awesome though. Maybe sometimes if the journey is good enough…
--

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread