Steam Controllers

D

Deleted User

Hey all.

Just wondering, what are you keyboard + mouse purists' thoughts on the Steam controllers?

For those who haven't seen it, here it is > http://store.steampowered.com/app/353370/

Anyone thinking of picking one of these up? How accurate do you guys think it can be? Just as good (maybe) as keyboard + mouse?

Just wanted to hear a few opinions about this from those who may have followed it more than I have. Cheers! :party:

The earlier incarnations were very unpopular with the testers. I think they've really held up the SteamOS project, as Valve tried to get them right. I've read better reports about these new versions, but I'm still sceptical. I worry that Valve's persisting with an idea that just doesn't work very well. Hopefully they've figured it out, but I'd wait for the reviews.

For some reason I am intrigued with these controllers a bit, as I think they would be nice for sports games or action-oriented stuff, but also because they are unique, and I was hoping the trackpads or whatever on them would make it decent enough for mouse + keyboard games. Also, Steam machines seem to be interesting to me, but I'd much rather just build a gaming PC and then Steam in-home stream whatever game I want to play to my laptop. o_O

what are you keyboard + mouse purists' thoughts on the Steam controllers?
Keyboard and mouse or mouse only users? Because suspicions of mouse only users are growing with every day...

It still looks funky to me, I don't think I would like it.

I like my xbox 360 controller (its very comfortable to use) and have tried the PS4 controller. I just ordered an xbox one controller for PC use even tho it won't work wireless yet.

First, Escapist's comic:

892635.png

PC is a machine that should allow people to choose *any* controls.
Are you using on your PC just m+k or sticks, pads, wheels, who cares? You're not playing a game on an expensive "everything exclusive" crapware, you're making choices on PC.

A must for a PC game is to support deafult controller, and that'd be m+k. Those who want to play while in their bed will of course buy different controllers.
Games that don't support default controller should have in the package those other controllers included or removed from shops. One such game is Hyperdimension Neptunia that was ported from consoles and supports just some gamepad with A abd B, but is carefully pretending to support keyboards too as it actually does something when you press a random key on your keyboard - only you don't know what that is because there are no hints or tooltips in the game for it.

I don't know anything about Steam controllers. But if a game, some game, insists on buying one instead of sending the controller in the package with that game, I won't buy that game. Or will buy it just to put thumb down on Steam.

Last edited:
This seems like a move by Valve to attract the console crowd to Steam more than anything else. It's been my experience that any game on Steam worth playing with controller already has controller support.

I'll be sticking with my Logitech F310.

I like it, or I think will. Sure it won't be the one controller that rules them all. A dual stick probably will work better for the witcher 3, or Mk if you are lucky to have a desk.

But for poe, unwritten tales 2, etc. I can see it working pretty well.

I'll be getting one sooner or later, I've got a few controllers I use for some games. FIFA, fighting games, 2d games, racing games, some 3rd person games. I really loved how on Sleeping Dogs you could just switch between kb&m and controller on the fly. Used the kb&m but picked up the xbox controller for driving, because, the keyboard just sucks for that.

I'll also be picking up the Steam Link as soon as it ships.
I've got a nice gaming computer, but I'd like to stream games to my bedroom, and that seems like the best price/performance option.

Back
Top Bottom