Now I understand why they call 'em "peasants"

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Few years back a game I've never knew exists got ported on Steam from whatever other platforms.
It was Valkyria Chronicles and it took me by surprise, I've expected yet another mediocre rubbish good for killing some time and nothing else. Note that I played it with original audio and subtitles, thus avoiding cringeworthy dub I've seen in some YouTube clips.

Being confused how come I've never heard of this game before it came onto PC, googled for some info and if I understood it right Valkyria Chronicles apparently didn't sell well on it's original platform so whomever was it's publisher cut funds for sequels and those were released on some phonebased hardware where development is cheaper than your yesterday's lunch.

Elsewhere on the forum I've already posted, Valkyria Chronicles is a nearmasterpiece. IMO. You disagree? Your problem.

There are plenty of opposite examples. One is ofc Dragon Dogma, a game highly praised by console audience and console critics so I bought it's PC port only to discover it being one of the worst products I've had under my fingers.
I dare to say it's worse than overhyped and overrated mediocrity - GTA5.

But till today I didn't have enough examples to draw any conclusion. What happened?
I've breezed through many goty lists, written or youtubed, only to discover that not only it's not #1, HZD doesn't even exist on those top lists.
I've never played that game just seen some vids and screenshots, but even a blind man can recognize a potential masterpiece there.

Is it a proof of biblical gems and pigs story? Dunno. Won't go there. I'll leave it at:
Peasants.

I think some crazy glue got in Joxer's weed ;)

Not really.
In case I wasn't precise - I'm not saying HZD should win the goty crown, can't be sure if there are better games on inferior platforms as I don't use those same platforms. But not seeing it anywhere among top 10 games of 2017 or within some nominations is bullshit. Of the year.

The PC port please. PC audience won't pretend fools.

Ah! I never played HZD, not even sure what it stands for. I think it was a jRPG? Horizon Zero Dawn. I looked it up. Is is mostly with the single character? That might be fun. I'll go google it some more…okay, not on steam or at least not under horizon zero dawn....

Last edited:
It's still only on the PS4 though, right? I don't own a console.

The PC port please. PC audience won't pretend fools.
Because all our peasants are too busy playing PUBG, DOTA 2, and Counter-Strike to even know there are game of the year awards?

Because all our peasants are too busy playing PUBG, DOTA 2, and Counter-Strike to even know there are game of the year awards?

Erm... Those are businessmen, not players nor peasants.
You sure skins from dota 2 can be sold for real $? PUBG and CS are moneyearners.

Common shopkeepers are hardly nobility! Especially shopkeepers that doth keep no shop, but hawk their wares on yonder information superhighway!

Valkyria Chronicles is good.
Dragon's Dogma is also good.

You disagree? Your problem.

I've breezed through many goty lists, written or youtubed, only to discover that not only it's not #1, HZD doesn't even exist on those top lists.
That's strange. I wasn't exactly following goty lists, but I've seen it nominated many times. It was a game nominated the most for various achievements in year 2017. Then again, I really don't know what goty lists you were looking at, maybe those I've seen were random and insignificant? But those I've seen were usually posted as news on console gaming sites like gematsu.

But yeah it should get a PC port for sure. It's the kind of game that would be highly popular on PC. Open-world, sci-fi-ish monsters, elaborate hunting.

Afaik, Japanese companies still don't see much value in PCs and Steam. And I'm sure that some of them have a deal with console devs that forcefully make their game exclusive for that console. I remember talking to a Japanese guy who complained that even though their devs release games for PC in the West, you can't buy these PC ports from Japan or something. I forgot the details, but he complained that he couldn't buy them in Japan. That's definitely thanks to console companies not wanting competition on their home turf.

I always wondered where they got the name. As a kid, I used to hunt them with my uncle. They're very lean and sort of taste like chicken, although the meat is kind of dry.

Horizon Zero Dawn

Because of that I'm even thinking of buying me a PS4 one day ! It Looks so incredible !
do hope it gets ported one day, though …

Well, since Joxer is the OP we may never know. It could be a condemnation of GotY recommendations, an advert for HZD which isn't even out on PC, or something totally different. Is Valkyria whatever on pc?

Well, since Joxer is the OP we may never know. It could be a condemnation of GotY recommendations, an advert for HZD which isn't even out on PC, or something totally different. Is Valkyria whatever on pc?
Valkyria has been ported to PC. Picked it up right after joxer went crazy about it. It was just okay but definitely not in whatever scale joxer is using. Never finished it as the combat started to become boring. And no, I don't have any problems

Pictures of hzd look great though.

I played the Valkyria that is out for the computer and quite enjoyed it. It does have the obligatory cut scenes and such, but I thought it a fascinating game, with an excellent story. I can only hope that the other Valkyria games eventually travel to GoG or Steam at some point.

Back
Top Bottom