Mass Effect: Andromeda - Shamus Young Analysis

I tried playing ME1 again immediately after finishing Andromeda, and I felt it had aged poorly. It's quite clunky by comparison.. especially the combat.

I did like the NPCs a lot more in the original trilogy, and I thought the dialogue was generally better, but Andromeda has the superior gameplay. Andromeda also has better exploration which is an important aspect for me.

All in all, I thought Andromeda was close to being a really good game. It's a shame that most of the side content is so boring and repetitive.

Yeah, the first one in particular is painfully clunky to play now. I do mean to play Andromeda. Exploration is one of my favourite parts, and as long as the dialogue isn't too painful, I'll probably enjoy it.

Yeah, the first one in particular is painfully clunky to play now. I do mean to play Andromeda. Exploration is one of my favourite parts, and as long as the dialogue isn't too painful, I'll probably enjoy it.

Exploration isn't really the draw in MEA...it pretty much suffers from the same issue, empty landscape filled with..nothing, really. Plus they really couldn't implement gameplay into it.
Interesting because ME1 has exactly the same problem: but it's a two to three times smaller game.
The guy here is a bit nitpicking ( with logic), game's biggest issue is how unimaginative new setting turned out to be.

Hard(ish) architects I said. Sorry but I can't call them easy. Hard if you're underleveled, trivial if you used HP regeneration on tech skill paired with vampiric ammo refill.

The biggest flaw of the game was not it's "difficulty" setup, the original trilogy was already clear about combat difficulty (un)importance.
Exactly because of the original trilogy designs, ME4 was expected to be a game with rich (sub)stories, numerous "alien" romance possibilities and no grind. In all those parts it didn't deliver.
Noone, but perhaps you, cared if combat against trashmobs that respawn endlessly is easy or hard.
Sure, there were other more problematic flaws but diffculty was the one that stood out in my playthrough.

Sorry, but the architects were not hard(ish) either. Let us call it medium difficulty? :) Admittedly I have a big twitch shooter background and with the cover mechanics there was no pressure at all in MEA. You could just sit back reload, heal, etc. the biggest problem was running out of ammo.

Back
Top Bottom