New all but confirmed Diablo MMO in the works

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Skip to 5m16s

I am actually excited by this. Other MMO developers have really failed to top WoW, so I am expecting good things from this.

If you guys want to see a real Diablo MMO, check out Lost Ark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL5zGvsmSM0

Unfortunately, it's Korean-only, but it could be coming to western shores, if successful.

Yeah I am looking forward to that but I am wary of it at the same time because of terrible decisions made by the company head of Korean games when transferring the game to English. Black Desert online had a FAR less grindy exp system in Korea but they chose to put the grindy exp system when transferring the game to English.

Like danutz, I don't think Blizzard will be doing a full blown MMO again. It's much more expensive, and risky, than the other genres they're now dominating. If anything, I'm guessing they'll do some more MOBA stuff, as HotS (unlike Overwatch, SC2 and WoW) isn't topping its genre.

Blizzard have become ultra complacent - so whatever we'll see, it likely won't be much of a risk. Even though they have more money than God.

Diablo 4? Well, could be cool. When it's out in 2029.

As for other games, I don't think they'll make new games in the genres they're already dominating - at least for a while.

WOW is definitely getting long in the tooth so in theory there would be a market for a replacement, especially from Blizzard. But I'm not sure that I'd see a traditional MMO with monthly fees, both Blizzard and the market seem to be moving away from that. I'd imagine either free to play with many microtransactions, or a one time fee with limited microtransactions. Which would probably mean it would have nowhere near the scale that WOW had.

Blizzard did always want to make Diablo3 a purely online experience, which caused a lot of backlash from some fans. I suppose they might be aiming to see what they can do if they abandon fan expectations for a single player game and build a diablo game as multi-player only from the ground up.

Like danutz, I don't think Blizzard will be doing a full blown MMO again. It's much more expensive, and risky, than the other genres they're now dominating. If anything, I'm guessing they'll do some more MOBA stuff, as HotS (unlike Overwatch, SC2 and WoW) isn't topping its genre.

I doubt they would make another MOBA, they probably realized that the MOBA genre only has room for 2 games LOL and DOTA after HOTS. They'd be stupid to try again.

Well, they're remastering Diablo II, almost but official. Could be great if they leave out cartoonish style.

What made you feel Diablo 2 has a cartoonish style Bobo?

Right :D. Well, anyway, there is more than one project. One job posting is for a first-person engine, the other is for a Diablo II upgrade me thinks. I don't think we are getting a Diablo MMO.

Diablo 2 definitely had a cartoony style - but it was a strange sort of hybrid, and the game was full of gore. But I prefer the original Diablo aesthetic overall.

As for the remaster, it depends. If they do the same lazy thing with it as they did with StarCraft - then it's nearly pointless.

Well, not entirely - because it's a pain to look at today - but without re-rendering the original assets, it won't be that much better. The color palette and resolution of the assets are both painfully inferior to modern standards.

If they do the same lazy thing with it as they did with StarCraft - then it's nearly pointless.

Completely clueless. I indeed hope they do EXACTLY what they did with SC:R.

Contrary to clueless cuckolds at Beamdog, Blizzard at least knows how to do a proper facelift.

Diablo 2 definitely had a cartoony style - but it was a strange sort of hybrid, and the game was full of gore. But I prefer the original Diablo aesthetic overall.

Well, not entirely - because it's a pain to look at today - but without re-rendering the original assets, it won't be that much better. The color palette and resolution of the assets are both painfully inferior to modern standards.

I posted in the other thread about this, but I love the look of those old-school isometric games. I also like the aesthetic of the original Diablo, but Diablo 2 was good for me as well. If they just improved the resolution, color palette (yet still kept it a bit subdued and dark), that would be as good as it gets for me.

If they don't do those things and/or make it feel much different than the original, I have the Battle Chest, so I can just play the original when I want it. If they do what I just described, though, I would certainly give it a look.

Back
Top Bottom