Super Dungeon Tactics,

Dasale

SasqWatch
Super Dungeon Tactics could look like a mobile game or a game for kids, but it got me by surprise, I played a great game and replay it is as great.

It's coming from a tabletop but with some key changes in rules they transformed it in a great Tactic RPG.

It's a very original game because of two points and a half:
- The combat system is rather unique, with a nice depth, and a system that counters very well a classic problem in turn based combats, routine.
- The party building is rather bizarre but again rather deep, and the game design fits well the approach of designing the party before each quest that is a series of missions, even if it's not mandatory.
- The half point is the equipment, beside consumables it's only unique items, and many items gain one or two characteristic depending of the character, there's 15 characters but in general those items can be used by 3 to 5 characters so have 3 to 5 variations.

Another pleasant aspect is despite it's a "nothing special" story and characters, it' still very pleasant to follow and it achieves make you curious to know "what's next".

Combat system use two designs I never saw before and quite smart:
- It mixes an initiative system and a system allowing player to choose the order he plays characters in party. The first element helps make combats more living, the second element increases significantly the tactical depth.
- At beginning of each turn all dices are thrown and their result is to activate active skills, passive skills, give damage reduction, damage bonus, speed bonus, or a malus that will depend of the character and his equipment. And then player set a dice result to each character as he wants, except it follows initiative so some special enemies will pick a dice when it's their order for turn initiative. And then the turn starts. Imagine XCOM2 giving all the random result at beginning of turn, and you choose affect each to each soldier. It's very interesting and increase tactical depth, and it makes each turn a specific problem, so it counters a lot any tentation to play routinely.

To reinforce the turn depth, the game uses a nice trick, armor take hits so low down from damages and all armor need be destroyed before to make damages to health, except for some special attacks and for effects (poison, fire, spikes). And at next turn armor is restored if the unit isn't killed.

Then some comments about party building. In fact there's no level up, character building is only based on equipments that are all unique. They provide different bonus and they provide some active and passive skills that are different for same item and each character and no item provide the exact same skill(s) to any character. So in building your characters for a party they are concurrent because items are unique, and it's rather complex as many items have specific effects for each character. So despite there's only 4 slots per character, party is from 2 to 10 so it can be rather complex and there's plenty variations and approach, even if for sure some are better than many other.

The game UI is well setup to allow build your party before a quest that is a series of mission, so you need choose characters for party picked among a roster and for each choose the equipments. As equipments available is constantly evolving, and characters roster evolves, it's constantly a different equation, so if you like build a party, it's almost paradise. :p

Im' quite in love with the game and I can't say it's common, so I could wrote and wrote about it, but ok that's enough.

I hope I made you curious and a few will try it. Or if some played it it's fine to beat each other in some arguing, or conclude a peace agreement from shared opinions. :)

EDIT: One more design element I would like highlight, aggro management is visible and predictable. It's an amount from 0 to 9, kill an enemy increases it from 1 to 3 depending of enemy strength and perhaps 4/5 for mini boss. Enemy will attack character in range with highest aggro. Aggro decrease by one for each enemy attack of the character. Plus some items will increase aggro at each turn, some other decrease it. So aggro is another element to consider and exploit when defining your tactic for the turn, and your strategy to manage the combats.

Could be a developer without much experience (didn't checked) but it seems some in the team have some extra imagination and skills for tactical design.

Last edited:
I have a friend that loves this game, I've not tried it myself or I'd give some feedback. Pretty sure I remember reading about this on steam when it first came out, and I also think it isn't available via great old games. Or wasn't at the time that I looked into it.

I have a friend that loves this game, I've not tried it myself or I'd give some feedback. Pretty sure I remember reading about this on steam when it first came out, and I also think it isn't available via great old games. Or wasn't at the time that I looked into it.
It's so refreshing to read that, I love your friend. :p

Yeah it's dumb it can be played only through Steam which is ok for me. I can understand someone want resists, but nowadays it will be hard if you want play indie games. Last case I quoted, Pyre.

But for SDT if like me you prefer buy outside of steam, there's one option (and only one for now beside the non official keys shops), Humble Store.

You should post some links and screenshots.
Ok but remind that graphics could make you believe it's a game for kids or a simple mobile game, and I thought it was a game more for kids the first hour, but that feeling vanished rather quickly.

Also quote all reviews are short after game release or short before, and the dev released multiple patches to include some players feedback, some polishing and some fixing.

A selection of reviews I read more or less fully (after to have finish play the game once):
http://www.spritesanddice.com/2017/01/super-dungeon-tactics-review
Pretty positive but fine analysis in my opinion, and he doesn't forget quote the main weaknesses, plus apparently the reviewer knows well the tabletop (no, the video game doesn't feel like a tabletop port).

http://ddoplayers.com/2016/12/27/super-dungeon-tactics-review/
Clearly reviewer had a lot of fun to play the game, good guy. :)

http://cogconnected.com/review/super-dungeon-tactics-review/
A quite negative one, but the problem is the reviewer seems never have succeed to master a bit the combats, and I got the feeling most negative reviewers had all this problem. Yeah healing abilities are limited, but you have many tools to manage it (aggro, armor, damage reduction, positioning, slow down key enemies, ambushing, killing fast, exploit terrain or obstacles, use with spare your consumables, benefit of some healing between missions of a quest, certainly more). In fact during all first play I mostly totally ignored the healing from characters because I felt it too tricky. But it was at Normal difficulty.

I played Normal difficulty at first play and I advise it for most players, there's an excellent difficulty progression that nowadays even many AAA games don't succeed do as well. So for first play, I lost 3 missions, in that case you can retry it (you can save at end of each mission) and you even keep the drops at this difficulty level:
- For one, I started focus on mission goal too late, I was too busy to try kill many enemies and remind the goal too late and get overloaded, replay it was fast and relatively easy.
- For another, I get too confident, with a small party of 3, and a character failed during last area to explore, it was desperate after for the two left and quickly lost. Replay the mission was a success, I had to struggle a bit but ok.
- For a third, with a bigger party, at some points I chained some weak choices and it went bad. Replay mission wasn't easy but a win.

But I also restarted a quest, a quest is often a series of missions, and it's like an expedition. Between each mission at Normal difficulty, characters heal somehow, but that's it. You can't change party composition, you can't change equipment even from drops, and consumable don't refill and are limited to a party bag with a limited number of consumable stacks, it's like a sort of more sophisticated ration system that have Might & Magic III or PoE (and working much better in SDT in my opinion, more fake for MM3 and PoE).

I restarted this quest after third mission lost because I really wanted redesign my party. It's quite possible it wasn't a necessity.

Otherwise all other cases was close but win anyway, like finish a mission with one character or two, or consumables close to be totally exhausted, or delay too much some objective but rush to it before to be overloaded worked, and for last expedition I honestly thought I wouldn't finish it but it worked. I don't think I restarted more during first play. One tip is when the mission is long and a fail, it's better stop play session and the day after replay the mission will make the fun come back. Another tip is are you sure the mission is lost, check better.

Another tip is if you play Veteran difficulty or above, design most party with some healing ability. Even if it seems very minimal and a bit tricky to use, it can help anyway because at this difficulty level between missions characters won't heal at all. They are only restored to life with health close to zero if they died during previous mission.

Back
Top Bottom