SaGa Frontier - Remastered 2021

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@PC Invasion Square Enix has announced that JRPG SaGa Frontier will be getting remastered for 2021.

If you a big fan of old school Japanese roleplaying games, then you are in for a treat. Square Enix has announced that a new remaster will be coming in 2021, and this time it is the 1998 classic SaGa Frontier that will be getting the updated treatment. SaGa Frontier Remastered will arrive in the summer of next year, and with it comes a branching story that develops based on your chosen character. Out of the eight different characters, each comes with their personal stories, goal, and even game endings.

By using the Free-From Scenario System, a revolutionary addition back in the day, your choices will affect how different events play out. The way you play will help determine your own unique story for each of the characters. SaGa Frontier Remastered will also see the return of Fuse, the original sidekick in each of the stories. Fuse will now be a playable character in 2021.

[...]

More information.

How do you say "low effort cash grab" in Japanese?
Not the first time either, these barely remastered JRPG games make a profit for minimal work. Anyway I played this back in 1998 on the PSOne and it wasn't that bad.

They released other PC ports of the series called Romancing SaGa on Steam also.

I could mock it, sure, but I'll also likely be purchasing it at some point. I never played the original version but it sounds like something I might enjoy. Most of 1998 I think I was doing testing for EQ1 so I missed a bunch of things that came out that year.

I still have my original PS1 copy of this.

To be honest, this remaster actually looks pretty decent. I know Square Enix has developed a reputation for releasing half-assed remasters, but this looks significantly better visually than the original, and they've apparently restored cut content and added some new content as well.

How do you say "low effort cash grab" in Japanese?

I think I remember reading that Saga Frontier was released with tons of missing content in order to be on time. I played the PS1 version on an emulator and it did feel very incomplete -- several areas with absolutely nothing happening, all but a couple of the characters' storylines rushed and abbreviated.

So maybe some of that is being restored now? The game wasn't great, but I'd be a little curious to see how much they've added.

Nice UI! :D PS1 videos on YT are not that grand, though. I would rather try this, than ReQuest and the Ateliers.

Yeah, what I've learned about these remakes is just don't expect awesomeness the week of release. Give it some time, let them roll out a few patches/updates, and in the end you'll likely have something worth buying and playing. Gone are the days for me of playing something on day one, I think the only content I do that with now are items from Spiderweb. Everything else I tend to wait on, it keeps my blood pressure in line =)

I think I remember reading that Saga Frontier was released with tons of missing content in order to be on time. I played the PS1 version on an emulator and it did feel very incomplete -- several areas with absolutely nothing happening, all but a couple of the characters' storylines rushed and abbreviated.

So maybe some of that is being restored now? The game wasn't great, but I'd be a little curious to see how much they've added.

That sort of thing would be worthwhile, but I would bet it won't be any different from the original release in content.

Edit: I saw JDR13's comment after posting this. So maybe they are adding stuff.

Yeah, what I've learned about these remakes is just don't expect awesomeness the week of release. Give it some time, let them roll out a few patches/updates, and in the end you'll likely have something worth buying and playing. Gone are the days for me of playing something on day one, I think the only content I do that with now are items from Spiderweb. Everything else I tend to wait on, it keeps my blood pressure in line =)

A remake is already basically a glorified patch. Why would IT need patches to be playable?

Because they push new content, art, and significant changes/updates into an already existing game, and expect it to run on every machine that's capable of accessing GoG/Steam/all these other paywalls. Having been on the other side, I understand how they simply cannot pre-test for ever possible bug, and most of the work may actually take place on the back end, after release. Some few systems may run the game flawlessly on day one, but the vast majority tend to have a few issues with the initial release. At least that's been my experience to date.

Back
Top Bottom