Baldur's Gate 3 - Community Update 11 / Patch 3

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Patch 3 for Baldur's Gate 3 is available - Swen explains the changes:

Community Update 11 - Inspiration, Freedom & Pacifism

Since the launch of Baldur's Gate 3 we've been very busy reading your feedback, and implementing some pretty major tweaks & changes to the game. Inspired by your feedback and discussion, today we release Patch #3 - Inspiration, Freedom & Pacifism.
Thanks Redglyph!

More information.

Seems the Early Access version was too hard for some casual gamers :)

Seems the Early Access version was too hard for some casual gamers :)
The dialog skill check, you mean? Or the stats showing how many died horribly? :lol:

I'm really curious about what they've done, because among many things, I've spotted this about the nasty AoE:
What's more, we've made changes to surfaces, reducing them dramatically to avoid accidents as well as to address other feedback about how combat felt to the community. Fire Bolt, Ray of Frost and Acid Splash no longer create surfaces on impact. Fire Bolt still ignites flammable surfaces, and Ray of Frost still freezes water and blood puddles.

Well this is what Early Access is meant for. You design and change your game based on stats and player feedback. Funny how many praise EA but complain when it works.

For reference I'm talking about the steam responses to this update.
Seems the Early Access version was too hard for some casual gamers.
Of course we casual's hate the dice rolls as well.

Want to know my secret I cheat.

Link - https://www.cheathappens.com/72193-PC-Baldurs-Gate-3-trainer

Now I don't care about difficulty or Dice rolls anymore.:cool:

The problem with Early Access and open forum discussions is:
Only the people who have complains raising a fuss about it.

Nobody posts: I'm happy with the current difficulty and gameplay.
(I for example liked the difficulty level of the first Baldur's Gate 3 iteration; I also was positively surprised that everyone was distrusting my character in the beginning)

In the past listening to a casual vocal minority led often to watered down RPGs.
(I want quest markers, I want to re-roll my character etc.)

images

I was trying to find surfaces mentioned in any of my AD&D rulebooks. Anyone find such a reference?

I was trying to find surfaces mentioned in any of my AD&D rulebooks. Anyone find such a reference?
Not AD&D but you need to read the Larian rulebook instead.
I never cheat in any kind of game.
I've been cheating since the dawn of consoles as well. God bless the old Action Trip and Codebreaker devices. The fun part of PC Gaming is cracking and hacking games.

Consoles not so much since they encrypt the hardware nowadays.
Have a cookie. :cookie: <--- is an ugly cookie
Yep it's an ugly cookie and proves the site needs a smiley upgrade.

I wonder how they could make anything out of the forums, frankly, it's such a mix of all opinions you could generate on any feature of the game.

But those stats extracted from gameplay must be a precious tool!
That's usually the problem. There's also the fact that a majority of people don't like giving their opinion at all (you know, those greens).

However, I noticed, especially in their forums, that when someone was complaining about a feature, others who were fine with it stated their opinion to defend it. Some of those reactions generated mega-threads, arguably on popular and touchy subjects such as the number of characters in a party, TB vs RTwP, and a few others.

That's usually the problem. There's also the fact that a majority of people don't like giving their opinion at all (you know, those greens).
So what does a mix of red and green make me? Brown maybe?:lol:
However, I noticed, especially in their forums, that when someone was complaining about a feature, others who were fine with it stated their opinion to defend it. Some of those reactions generated mega-threads, arguably on popular and touchy subjects such as the number of characters in a party, TB vs RTwP, and a few others
Not just forums though I've been enjoying the countless number of locked topics on Reddit over BG3. This was going even before Larian officially announced the game.

For 5th edition, they mention it in the PH p. 204. And in the spell description, for example the fireball (since apparently they'll keep AeE for the spells, only removing it for cantrips):
Fireball
3rd-level evocation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 150 feet
Components: V, S, M (a tiny ball of bat guano and sulfur)
Duration: Instantaneous
A bright streak flashes from your pointing finger to a point you choose within range and then blossoms with a low roar into an explosion of flame. Each creature in a 20-foot-radius sphere centered on that point must make a Dexterity saving throw. A target takes 8d6 fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. The fire spreads around corners. It ignites flammable objects in the area that aren't being worn or carried.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, the damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 3rd.
EDIT: I only realize now there's guano in them :uhoh:

Note that the duration is instantaneous, there's no burning left after the explosion.

Oh, unless there is something flammable in the area.

Larian could explain it like that, but I don't think they'd feel the need to justify it. Their engine allows a lot of interaction with the environment, and that's part of it.

We'll see how much they've reduced those AoE, after downloading the whole game again.

So what does a mix of red and green make me? Brown maybe?:lol:
Or bloody greens and sick reds :lol: It's a very caricatural and simplistic dichotomy, but it has its merits, and this particular book is quite fun to read, actually :)

Quoted from the Gazette :

The road less travelled is now rewarding...
Our games have always been about rewarding creativity and exploration, but some people were disappointed with the lack of experience rewards for pacifism, and creative solutions that utilize the road less travelled. Patch 3 introduces rewards for avoiding combat situations, whether in dialogue or through exploration and environmental puzzle solving. Now, all you pacifists will be able to carve out a journey more true to your character's identity. Or, it'll just offer more options for specific circumstances.

I like that ! ;)

Nobody posts: I'm happy with the current difficulty and gameplay.
(I for example liked the difficulty level of the first Baldur's Gate 3 iteration; I also was positively surprised that everyone was distrusting my character in the beginning)

In the past listening to a casual vocal minority led often to watered down RPGs.
(I want quest markers, I want to re-roll my character etc.)

TV Tropes has an article called "Pandering to thw base" about that phenomenon ! Highly recommended !

So what does a mix of red and green make me? Brown maybe?:lol:Not just forums though I've been enjoying the countless number of locked topics on Reddit over BG3. This was going even before Larian officially announced the game.

Hey, enough of this racism!! Let's not bring skin colour into this discussion!!!! :D

Hey, enough of this racism!! Let's not bring skin colour into this discussion!!!! :D

Well the logic goes Red + Green = Yellow. So I'm a Yellow. Brown is to offensive.:lol:
Red and green give yellow, red and blue give you magenta and a mix of green and blue result in a cyan color. The secondary colors are also the primary colors in the subtractive color system. To complete the color wheel we need to add the tertiary colors.

Quoted from the Gazette :

I like that ! ;)
Me to but playing a true passive route is usually impossible in RPGs. Last I did that was playing the latest Deus Ex games using stealth, tranquilizers, knockouts, and a taser.

Back
Top Bottom