Baldur's Gate 3 - Community Update 11 / Patch 3

Well the logic goes Red + Green = Yellow. So I'm a Yellow. Brown is to offensive.:lol:

Red and green give yellow, red and blue give you magenta and a mix of green and blue result in a cyan color. The secondary colors are also the primary colors in the subtractive color system. To complete the color wheel we need to add the tertiary colors.

Now thats a colorful explanation!

At first the hard … was hard. But after I learned how to play I preferred the difficulty they had set. Hopefully there will be sliders for difficulty.

Complete turn around for me for some reason. I was always an advocate for easy options in games (still am) but now learning the appeal of harder modes.

That being said I do not like games with only one difficulty level. Too easy for balance to go off and then stress and frustration set in and that is no fun. At least 2 or 3 difficulty modes (easy, normal, and hard) are ideal for any game.

Pathfinder really did this nicely with tons of options for difficulty versus just modes. For me quality of life isn't about difficulty. So I may want to play with equal criticals, stats, die rolls, etc for enemies and players (so they are the same) but will enable "weight won't slow the party down" option. Because there is no real challenge to wasting time running back and forth to a merchant all the time, although for some its an immersion issue and I get that, but for me its more a quality of life thing where I just don't want to deal with it. Instead I can move the same but once I hit my inventory limit thats it.

Ah well rambling. Will be curious to see how the update is received and how it works. At the moment I am back to playing FO4 and Skyrim anyhow :p

EDIT: One thing I don't like myself is making the companions more friendly. I so loved the more realistic approach that your character was not their God. You were just another stray caught up in events and should be treated as such. It was a breath of fresh air to not be worshiped or fawned over by companion sycophants. So a bit of bummer they are taking such cool companions and watering them down to be little more than kiss-your-ass servants and mules. I guess today's gaming generation can't cope with people actually disagreeing with them or *gasp* not even liking them.

EDIT: One thing I don't like myself is making the companions more friendly. I so loved the more realistic approach that your character was not their God. You were just another stray caught up in events and should be treated as such. It was a breath of fresh air to not be worshiped or fawned over by companion sycophants. So a bit of bummer they are taking such cool companions and watering them down to be little more than kiss-your-ass servants and mules. I guess today's gaming generation can't cope with people actually disagreeing with them or *gasp* not even liking them.

Completely agree. I wouldn't go so far as to assume they'll now be kiss-your-ass servants and mules, but I too liked them how they were. The complaints about them not immediately loving you unreservedly were, I thought, terrrible criticisms that revealed a lot more about those players than it did the companions.

Completely agree. I wouldn't go so far as to assume they'll now be kiss-your-ass servants and mules, but I too liked them how they were. The complaints about them not immediately loving you unreservedly were, I thought, terrrible criticisms that revealed a lot more about those players than it did the companions.

Aye I was simply being over the top for effect because I was annoyed lol. I am sure they will OK in the end. It was more how refreshing I thought it was to have people in a party who didn't treat the player as someone ultra special. It felt more real and less fake.

Different note - reading through all the patch notes and I do applaud this one a lot!

No more micromanaging party jumping

Micromanaging gymnastics probably wasn’t something you thought you’d be doing in the Forgotten Realms, so now when you jump across a gap, for example, your party will automatically jump across it to follow you. Hooray!

Hopefully when difficulty modes are introduced we can get back to a core d&d level.

Like wolfgrimdark said, I like abrasive companions as it is in context of situation and personalities. Toning it down is probably going to make more people unhappy than happy imo as most won't post on forums. Forum feedback is very selective. This also applies to the death map, as when I first played bg2 back in the day I died a ton of times but I was still having fun trying different things out. That feedback is not necessarily indicative of whether or not players are enjoying themselves is my point. Whether or not they keep playing the game is more indicative, however, at the moment with bg3 being early access you will have people enjoying themselves but not playing more to not spoil things.

Different note - reading through all the patch notes and I do applaud this one a lot!

No more micromanaging party jumping

About time! I found that incredibly annoying especially when a lower-budget game like Solasta had auto-jumping from the start.

And I completely agree about the companions. Hopefully the new ones will satisfy the crybaby's who are complaining that the NPCs aren't nice enough. I don't want to see any changes to the personalities of the existing companions. (Although I wouldn't mind if they made Astarion a little less effeminate in the way he talks.)

The problem with Early Access and open forum discussions is:
Only the people who have complains raising a fuss about it.

Nobody posts: I'm happy with the current difficulty and gameplay.
(I for example liked the difficulty level of the first Baldur's Gate 3 iteration; I also was positively surprised that everyone was distrusting my character in the beginning)

In the past listening to a casual vocal minority led often to watered down RPGs.
(I want quest markers, I want to re-roll my character etc.)

I am positively surprised that they really listen to feedback. Which is a good thing but not always. On one hand, it is nice that they toned down the cantrips. However, on the other hand, I am not so happy about changes to the dice roll and companions. To be honest I liked the way it was. I will never understand people that play a game based on dice rolls and complain about the dice rolls…

They didn't listen to my suggestion of introducing day/night cycles and beginning the game at night! :lol:

I agree on that one too. Besides, they said those companions were not even the most amiable of the whole set, being neutral or evil, and the good-oriented ones were coming later.

Their attitude was fine, I hope they haven't changed too much, hopefully Larian mainly tuned the approve/disapprove criteria.
I am positively surprised that they really listen to feedback. Which is a good thing but not always. On one hand, it is nice that they toned down the cantrips. However, on the other hand, I am not so happy about changes to the dice roll and companions. To be honest I liked the way it was. I will never understand people that play a game based on dice rolls and complain about the dice rolls…
I'm surprised too! We'll have to see the actual extent of this however.

The dice roll seems to be one of those sensitive subjects. I like them for some decisions, but not all of them. For example, I don't really like important dialog decisions based on a dice roll, when the character has obviously enough ability for the required dialog option to succeed. Sure, anyone can make a mistake, or have bad luck, but in a dialog that's stretching it IMHO, except if one is really exhausted or intoxicated (which is not taken into consideration here)..

So we have to accept the game is based on dice roll and that's it. Fair enough, after all it's the same for battle and it's rarely challenged like the dialogs. But I believe the DM could have their say in the matter and just give (or refuse) the point without a dice roll if the ability is high enough (or not) for some categories of decisions.

But maybe this dice roll is more annoying now because they are low-level characters. I hope we can soon break this cap and see them grow a bit more :)

They didn't listen to my suggestion of introducing day/night cycles and beginning the game at night! :lol:
Sigh old news I'm afraid to say. Larian already mentioned back when they developed Divinity Original Sin that takes to much work to implement. I call bullshit on that.

It was even a funded stretch goal at one point in development.:(

Not AD&D but you need to read the Larian rulebook instead.

I've been cheating since the dawn of consoles as well. God bless the old Action Trip and Codebreaker devices. The fun part of PC Gaming is cracking and hacking games.
[..]

Precisely. Then I set the difficulty to hardest - no ironman though - so that I can experience the worst hell the game can send against me. Its the best massive mayhem gameplay experience. Just like the idea for Icewind Dale: a special "Heart of Fury" difficulty setting.

I very much enjoyed the game and didn't have any issues with the difficulty, then again I'm accustomed to the D&D ruleset they're using and have been accustomed to tabletop D&D rulesets since the Red Box version of D&D back in the late 80's. I don't have any problem with them providing easier difficulty settings (Like Pathfinder: Kingmaker did, you could set the difficulty so low that the game basically played itself, if you wanted) - though I thought the game wasn't very difficult as it was. I had no issues getting to "the Underdark" and finishing off the content provided.

Looking forward to starting a new game with the new released content and seeing what changed.

though I thought the game wasn't very difficult as it was. I had no issues getting to "the Underdark" and finishing off the content provided.

I thought some of the encounters were pretty damn hard if you weren't ready for them. I agree that most aren't very difficult though if you know what's coming.

I stumbled across the Underdark early by accident. One of the coolest parts of the EA for me. Of course I promptly got my ass kicked since I wasn't supposed to be there yet. :)

Looking forward to play BG3 on release. I just hope the released game will be still for people who like to actually play the games instead just look how they are played (by random streamer or by itself, doesnt matter). Would be damn paradox if best iteration of game "for gamers" would happen now, more then year before release.

Compared to other D&D games, there are alternative ways to win or survive a combat that we see more often in action RPGs. Such as firing on objects that will fall on the enemies, hit then run away from them with Dash (since they consider that a bonus action.. the rogue even has two of them), set the area on fire (it's a Larian game), go far enough for the combat to stop, .. So in a way, this creativity already makes it a little easier.

But I still have bad dreams about the Underdark, it's just not a comfortable place to be ;)

Compared to other D&D games, there are alternative ways to win or survive a combat that we see more often in action RPGs. Such as firing on objects that will fall on the enemies, hit then run away from them with Dash (since they consider that a bonus action.. the rogue even has two of them), set the area on fire (it's a Larian game), go far enough for the combat to stop, .. So in a way, this creativity already makes it a little easier.

Solasta has some of that as well. Like using the verticality of a level to push objects onto enemies underneath and take them out before combat even begins. It probably doesn't match BG3 in the number ways you can do things though.

Solasta has some of that as well. Like using the verticality of a level to push objects onto enemies underneath and take them out before combat even begins. It probably doesn't match BG3 in the number ways you can do things though.
That's right! I hope those objects are less obvious in the final version, but it's good they think about that sort of traps :)

Tactical Adventures like puzzles, it seems, that's always a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom