PC gamepads recommendations

Remus

Antihero
Thinking of playing some consoles games such as Resident Evil 4 on PC; but PC ports usually sucks in control department, so any suggestions on choosing a good gamepads (Logitech, Saiteck, etc)?

Honestly, the best bet is the wired XBOX360 controller - you are pretty much guaranteed that all 'Games for Windows' stuff will work well, and everything else should configure easily enough.

I would also go for the XBox 360 controller for simplicity and support. Personally I am satisfied with my DualShock 2 (Playstation 2) joypads that I run on an adapter. I have a wireless version by Logitech. There is an utility that makes you use your mice to aim in RE4 though.

Last edited:
...There is an utility that makes you use your mice to aim in RE4 though.

MouseAim 2.0? Tried it on Vista but no mouse cursor in game.

PS: any differences (lag, speed, etc) between wired and wireless gamepads?

For over 20 years have used "Gravis" gamepads, they are tough and precise and have never failed me. Though the original pc models needed the 'midi' D (sound card) connection, todays models are naturally usb plug-and-play (hot connect - no reboot)
The the threaded hole on the left-hand takes a short joy-stick for gamers with hand movement problems.

Have no hesitation in recommending these. Have shown the Amazon link for convenience.

http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Gravis-Gamepad-Pro-USB/dp/B00000K4TQ

PS: any differences (lag, speed, etc) between wired and wireless gamepads?

If there is I am too old to notice it.

I'm suprised to see that are a few pc-gamers using console controlpads. If there's a game that I really want to play, I would rather buy a console. In the past I bought a PS2 just to play Gran Tourismo 3. So my advice to Remus is when you really want to play that certain game, a console might be worth its price (unless it's for playing only one game)

I'm suprised to see that are a few pc-gamers using console controlpads.

I think it depends on what you play - here at the Watch we are dominated by RPG fans, with a fair amount of action-RPG and FPS love as well. All of those genres are PC-centric and therefore best handled by keyboard & mouse. (n e 1 tinks FPS is 4 cons0le g4m3pad is teh n00b and l00zer lol)

For action games - Tomb Raider, sports games, etc - the use of gamepad is an enabling technology ... it enables you to have fun :D

I'm not full blown console player yet; and PC gaming already taking huge chunk of my limited free time - so adding more gaming platform is more likely to be a waste.

Anyway Microsoft Wireless Xbox 360 Controller for PC seems mightily interesting:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gaming/productdetails.aspx?pid=090

Question: Is the Xbox controller works with PC ported PS2/PS3 games?

The XBox 360 controller have exactly the same buttons as a PS2.0 controller except for the wierd "X" button in the middle and I think the large longfinger buttons (on top of the pad) is pressure sensitive (I can be wrong about that though). In Windows they are recognized as "Button_##" which means regardless if you have a PS2 or XBox 360 controller they are recognized like Button_01 to Button_15 or something like that. Ofcourse, the name of the buttons are different, on 360 it's like XYAR, with PS2 it's XO, Square and Triangle.

My adapter (joytech) died with Vista so I am currently seeking a replacement. I rarely use Joypad outside emulators though. Tomb Raider Anniversary might be the only game I used it for part from them.

I have wired ps2, wireless thurstmaster and wireless xbox360 controller for windows. The xbox360 one I bought just few weeks ago and it has better ergonomics than thrustmaster and its almost as light as the ps2 controller. Its the best gamepad allthough wired ps2 is pretty good too.

Another question just occured to me: is the Microsoft Wireless Gamepad's signal would interferes with wireless internet connection (802.11g/802.11b) and cell phone?

No - it says 2.4GHz (i.e. cordless phone) in the literature.

Used the gamepad several times. It felt nice and work well on my hand but then again it's my first and only gamepad!

I supposed for co-op game (e.g Gears of War) i only need to buy another same gamepad and plug into the first one?

I supposed for co-op game (e.g Gears of War) i only need to buy another same gamepad and plug into the first one?

Gears of War can only be played co-op over the net or on a lan, no split screen I'm afraid.

Back
Top Bottom