Choose my next RPG play I start this WE

Dasale

SasqWatch
Title. :p

Some rules:
- Single Player game, no DLC.
- I won't pay more than 30 bucks.
- It should have been released since 2013.
- It should be a windows only release on PC, no Mac or Linux because I certainly have them all or almost.
- No JRPG, Roguelike, Roguelite, Diablo like, pure focus on action, XCOM/JA2 like, RTS elements, Strategy/Sim game, Tactical game, Survival/Building like as Terraria.

If I have it already, it's fine. The list I already played/tried play is very short, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, Underrail, Fallout 4, Age of Decadence, The Witcher 3, DAI, Undertale.

If you are curious my current candidates are Legends of Eisenwald, South Park: The Stick of Truth, and Aarklash: Legacy (not sure if this last really match my criteria of not being too focused on action). It's really fine to pick another. I'll check suggestion if there's any, tomorrow during morning. More suggestions are fine just to increase my list of those to check.

You cannot go wrong with Legends of Eisenwald at all, great game and will not be plowed through in one sitting. If that turns out not to be your cuppa, my other suggestion would be Wasteland two. Both of these games I found took time to get through, were fun, and quite immersive. Usually I'd suggest older games, but your criteria made it sound like you'd rather something more recent.

Is it a general RPG? I always had the feeling it was more a strategical and tactical game with RPG elements until I read some comments about RPG depth or something.

Yeah I know I would have ton of oldies if I hadn't mentioned any date. This would involve two problems, list those I tried, and not in mood to try this WE something very old.

So for now Legends of Eisenwald is selected but that would be more fun to buy something fresh, this one has already some dust, and even digital dust reduces the appeal. :)

EDIT: Wasteland 2 is Mac release, disqualified and already played and DC version is great.

If you're serious about playing a good RPG, stay away from South Park. Funny it is, a quality RPG it is not.

Some are already mentioned, so I won't repeat suggestions but will add two possible candidates you might want to try: Mars: War Logs and Lords of Xulima.

PoE, DOS, Xulima, Mac release so disqualified, and already played just didn't finished Xulima. Alamur already tried as I listed in OP.

For now Legends of Eisenwald and Mars: War Logs are the suggestions matching. I have them both already, but never installed them.

Some are already mentioned, so I won't repeat suggestions

The one most quoted will be the game I'll try tomorrow, so list without bother other posts is the way to help.

The only one on your original list I've played is South Park. Not much of an rpg, but it is funny, has some good exploration (at least if you're vaguely familiar with the TV show), and it isn't very long (12hrs or do I think). I had a blast with it, so I'd definitely recommend it.

Mars: War Logs is ok, but not great. I seem to remember really disliking the combat, but enjoying the story right enough.

But my top choice would be Divinty OS, unless as Caddy says it's too tactical. But man I love that gane :)

DOS cool but disqualified, Mac release, and already played. I add South Park even if it's true that I was aiming to play something a bit more a full RPG and if it isn't much one I'm not sure. I don't have it but I saw a nice sale running.

For now on par, those selected: Legends of Eisenwald, Mars: War Logs, South Park.

I enjoyed South Park. It's certainly not a deep RPG but it's fun.

Dragon's Dogma was fun with some great spells and boss fights. It's from Capcom so you could call it a JRPG but it doesn't really play like one at all. http://store.steampowered.com/app/367500/

For now South Park selected with 3 advices. I doubt I'll like, but I wanted try it a day, so it's ok.

Just to close it, so going to play right now South Park, thanks for the suggestions. :)

EDIT: Bad luck, after 3H and more I failed run the game, it crashes right after the start screen, before to get any welcome menu. I installed the game 2 times on 2 different drives, check GPU update, check cache integrity, restart computer, try creates myself the config files, search and read so much on Internet that now I'm a computer expert pro. But ok enough of boredom and time lost, I'll forget the few money wasted, and will find myself next game to play, the forum obviously bring me only bad luck. :)

Last edited:
"- It should be a windows only release on PC, no Mac or Linux because I certainly have them all or almost."

Any reason for this criteria? Just curious.

Age of Decadence (of course)
Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's Cut
Dead State: Reanimated
Legends of Eisenwald
Expeditions: Conquistador

"- It should be a windows only release on PC, no Mac or Linux because I certainly have them all or almost."

Any reason for this criteria? Just curious.
Because I already have them all, unlike those released for Windows only. I tend never buy non AAA RPG released on Windows only, not many AAA RPG released on Windows only, and even less indie RPG released on Windows only. So after I have to find retroactively the exception I want do to those rules applied too automatically.

It's because my own computer is almost always running on Mac.

Age of Decadence (of course)
Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's Cut
Dead State: Reanimated
Legends of Eisenwald
Expeditions: Conquistador
Thanks, have them all already, already played 1 and 4…. released on Mac.

When I'll finish with MEA (no worry my back is bloody from whipping myself for this infamy) I'll certainly chain with Legends of Eisenwald and from lessons learned will teach EA Bioware how make RPG.

Some rules:
(…)
- No JRPG, Roguelike, Roguelite, Diablo like, pure focus on action, XCOM/JA2 like, RTS elements, Strategy/Sim game, Tactical game, Survival/Building like as Terraria.

Since this rule excludes all but only 5 RPG titles, it becomes a way easier choice :p

Since this rule excludes all but only 5 RPG titles, it becomes a way easier choice :p

Lol, don't complain, I don't think the exclusion list is complete. :)

This doesn't let much but a few anyway. About that I'm welcoming suggestions to "complete" my list, from my restricted point of view, with one exclusion not excluded, Dungeon Crawlers:

2016: Tyranny, The Banner Saga 2, Avadon 3, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, The Technomancer, Ember, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, The Deep Paths: Labyrinth Of Andokost, Heroes of the Monkey Tavern

2015: Blackguards 2, Pillars of Eternity, Underrail, The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Age of Decadence, Sword Coast Legends, Legends of Eisenwald, Shadowrun Hong Kong, Serpent in the Staglands, Chroma Squad, Dex, Ruzar - The Life Stone

2014: Wasteland 2, Dragonfall, Divinity Original Sin, Dragon Age: Inquisition, South Park: Stick of Truth, Might & Magic X Legacy, Legend of Grimrock II, Blackguards, The Banner Saga, Lords of Xulima, Eschalon Book III, Risen 3, Child of Light, Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms

2013: Shadowrun Returns, Avadon 2, Expeditions Conquistador, Mars War Logs, The Dark Eye Demonicon, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, Aarklash: Legacy

2012: Mass Effect 3, Legend of Grimrock, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, Risen 2, Of Orcs and Men, Inquisitor

2011: Skyrim, The Witcher 2, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Avadon, Dragon Age 2, Game of Thrones, Unepic, ArcaniA: Fall of Setarrif

2010: Mass Effect 2, Fallout: New Vegas, Drakensang: The River of Time, Alpha Protocol, Arcania: Gothic 4, Two Worlds II, Eschalon Book II, A Farewell to Dragons

Im' pretty sure that even with sub genre restrictions it's quite incomplete, I started listed them only very recenlty. But also among those I never played there's probably some I would exclude.

Dasale,

I don't intend to hijack your thread to discuss RPG subgenres and all, please don't think I am doing this. But, in your rule, you say "no Tactical game" and then you list Wasteland 2 above. IMHO, Wasteland 2 has some strong Tactical elements. In the same vein you ask us to avoid listing Diablo-likes, but you put Aarklash Legacy among the 2013 games, and this game is Diablo-like.

Or then I got it very wrong !! :)

Back
Top Bottom