Votes: 9 11.0%
  • Risen

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • Risen 2

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Risen 3

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters
Was it handplaced in MW? I forget, or tend to confuse it with Oblivion. If so, then yes, I'll give MW that.

That's one thing where G2 has the clear edge over G3: loot.

Frankly, I never played Morrowind enough to really appreciate that hand-placed loot. But it's one of the most frequent things that get brought up as a "good thing" in MW, so I have to assume it's true :)

But I do know that I really hate random loot in games that focus on exploration, so - aside from combat - I think it's the worst part of G3.

But I clearly remember playing unpatched G3 for some 50 hours upon release, and I was COMPLETELY absorbed. The only reason I stopped was because of savegame corruption.

I never had that with Morrowind. I was extremely impressed by the visuals (especially the wonderful pixelshaded water) - but it wasn't long before I started disliking the combat and the endlessly repeated dungeons.

I will never understand the popularity of that game, but then again - understanding is not required :)

I voted for Gothic 2. The follow-up would be the original Gothic.

If this was, what was the best game then I'd probably choose gothic 2 but since its which is your favorite?

I'll give the nod to the game I spent the most time and had the most fun with, and that would be G3.

I just had a blast with the open world and liberating cities. Even though from a technical standpoint it was far inferior.

Nice Morrowind - Gothic debate.

I loved Morrowind, I actually played Morrowind first and played G2 first much much later. I was even a Morrowind fanboy laughing at how much the G1 players were saying it was a far superior game to MW.

Years later I learned they were right. However Morrowind take place in a stunning environment and I wish they made more games like it.

If I was going to compare Gothic 3 to a TES game, it would be Daggerfall.

Why? Because both games were incredibly ambitious but poorly executed and extremely buggy. Even after multiple patches, neither game is as good as it should have been.

If I had to choose between G3 and Morrowind though, I'd have to take Morrowind (with mods of course :) ). I place a lot of importance on exploration, and Morrowind was more fun to explore for me.

If I had to choose between G3 and Morrowind though, I'd have to take Morrowind (with mods of course :) ). I place a lot of importance on exploration, and Morrowind was more fun to explore for me.

Really? There was too much immersion breaking stuff going on for me to enjoy exploration in Morrowind. Like I said earlier, dungeons for the sake of having them, each with an identical door. Boring recycled caves and ruins. Cliff racers that attack you after every few feet. Lack of "normal" (read: non-hostile) wildlife.
Gothic 3's world felt alive and breathing, whereas MW's just felt like a sandbox for you to play in. I'd pick number 1 any day, but I guess it depends on where your priorities lie.

I'm talking about vanilla MW here. Obviously, with the right set of mods you can do just about anything, and maybe even come close enough to that G3 experience. ;)

But sorry, I did not mean to derail this thread in an MW vs G3 debate. :)

Really? There was too much immersion breaking stuff going on for me to enjoy exploration in Morrowind. Like I said earlier, dungeons for the sake of having them, each with an identical door. Boring recycled caves and ruins. Cliff racers that attack you after every few feet. Lack of "normal" (read: non-hostile) wildlife.
Gothic 3's world felt alive and breathing, whereas MW's just felt like a sandbox for you to play in. I'd pick number 1 any day, but I guess it depends on where your priorities lie.

I don't feel that way at all. I think Gothic 3 has some great exploration in the wilderness areas, but when it comes to actual places to find and explore (caves, ruins, etc.) it's vastly inferior.

I found Morrowind's dungeons to have a lot more variety than the tiny caves in Gothic 3 that had no purpose other than to give you more enemies to fight. In fact, many of the caves in G3 don't even contain loot at all, just enemies standing around waiting for you to show up.

And caves are pretty much the only thing Gothic 3 offers. Morrowind has caves, burial mounds, Dwemer ruins, underwater grottos, sunken ships, etc. Like I said… variety. Better yet, some of them contain areas where you have to dive underwater or use a levitate spell to fully explore them. Gothic 3 has nothing like that. I can only recall 2 or 3 caves in the entire game that took more than a few minutes to clear out.

It was sad to me how far exploration had regressed in G3 compared to Gothic 1&2.

Okay, if exploration equals dungeons for you, then we're talking about a different thing. I'll concede that G3 had not much dungeon crawling to speak of, but then again I don't think that's what it was trying to do. Nor does it hold that much value for me. If you're looking for a dungeon crawler, then G3 should probably not be on your list.
For me though, immersion is the number 1 thing, and G3 delivers in spades there, IMHO.

Look, I don't dislike MW, it's just that for me, G3 does those things right that I value very highly in an RPG. Not only does it do them right, it does them superbly. The game just clicks. :)

I don't recall saying that exploration is all about dungeons, but if that's how you choose to interpret it then so be it. :)

I'm glad you enjoyed G3 as much as you did. I still think it's a really good game with the community patch, but it's not really close to being on the same level as the first two Gothics for me.

Seriously guys ... we're debating Gothic 3 and Morrowind - two awesome freaking games that throw tons of hours of gaming our way and each represents some of the best gaming experienes for many of us in recent years.

It is like debating Quake and Unreal ... which is better? Who the fuck cares! I love both :)

MW>G1>G2>head and shoulders>R1>Daylight>G3
Haven't played R2 or R3 yet

G2 is probably a better game than G1 - its been a while, but G1 was the start and a great game.

People went on about the bugs in G3, I played it shortly after release and didn't find this much of a problem. It all started feeling like a job rather than fun after a while especially in the desert and snow. These areas should have been added as expansions or something - quests felt like chores after a while. Pleased when I finished it. Realised would never replay.

Have started R2 twice and not past the first main island. I liked it but always moved on to something else.

I don't recall saying that exploration is all about dungeons, but if that's how you choose to interpret it then so be it. :)

I'm glad you enjoyed G3 as much as you did. I still think it's a really good game with the community patch, but it's not really close to being on the same level as the first two Gothics for me.

Okay, maybe I misinterpreted, or expressed myself unclearly. You seemed to put a lot of emphasis on dungeons, in relation to the "exploration" aspect, and I was merely trying to convey that I don't put much value in dungeon crawling by itself.

Seriously guys … we're debating Gothic 3 and Morrowind - two awesome freaking games that throw tons of hours of gaming our way and each represents some of the best gaming experienes for many of us in recent years.

It is like debating Quake and Unreal … which is better? Who the fuck cares! I love both :)

Point taken. :)

Speaking of G3, does anyone know where I can find the fan patch? With all the talk about it, it makes me want to install the game again. BTW, my vote goes for G2. But, maybe that opinion will change depending how well G3 is patched.

Nice to see a good amount of votes in this one.

And yes, we shouldn't argue over these great games. Morrowind, Gothic, Gothic 2, Risen, I love them all! :)

Seriously guys … we're debating Gothic 3 and Morrowind - two awesome freaking games that throw tons of hours of gaming our way and each represents some of the best gaming experienes for many of us in recent years.

It is like debating Quake and Unreal … which is better? Who the fuck cares! I love both :)

Quake and unreal? Yuck!

How about Crysis and Clive barkers undying.:)

I voted for Skyrim :) Okay Risen 3. It's the only one I've actually finished, though I got a long way in Gothic 3 before something grabbed my attention. It is always in the back of my mind to retry the Gothics.

I've finished them all except for Risen 3 (still getting to that one…) and often multiple times. :)

1. Gothic
A wonderfully compelling design with a fun narrative and excellent faction structure, creating some truly memorable choices with consequences. I've finished it three times; underlining its classic status. From a coherency of world and role-playing perspective, I think this game is unrivaled in the PB catalogue.

2. Gothic 2+Night of the Raven
Whilst I completed Gothic 2 originally without the expansion first up shortly after playing Morrowind, my first experience with the expansion was played as a mage back in the summer of '07 and it was utterly gripping right to the end. I can see myself replaying this game one day allying with Lee and investigating the archery and stealth possibilities more.

3. Gothic 2 (Vanilla) I joined the paladins in my first play-through. This was also my very first Gothic experience. (I still have my reports written on the old Ironworks forum)

4. Risen
This return to a more classical G2 oriented game whilst slightly by-the numbers, was still highly enjoyable for me. A captivating, mellow and personal soundtrack by Kai Rosencranz helped create some truly memorable moments.

5. Gothic 3 with community patches installed. (I think I last played 1.74?)
I couldn't get over the relative weakness of the melee system compared to its predecessors yet admired the world's breadth and the sheer ambitious scope of the game. I've still managed to complete it twice despite its shortcomings. :) Another staggeringly gorgeous soundtrack from KaiRo.

6. Risen 2.
Bawdy, vulgar and full of adventurous pirate spirit, this game was still fun to play yet lacked the persistence and compelling quality of design from Gothic 1, 2 and the first Risen.

Who knows where I'll rank Risen 3? I've only taken a look at the intro and opening fight sequences which I wasn't terribly impressed by from a dialogue and visual perspective. I'm hoping the world will be more open and enjoyable to explore than the scattered feel of the island hopping from the second game.

Back
Top Bottom