RPGWatch Feature - The Council Interview

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Farflame talked to Game Director Sylvain Sechi to talk about The Council, a narrative adventure/RPG game, set during the French revolution.

RPGWatch: I noticed that development studio Big Bad Wolf worked mainly on action games and ARPGs in the past. So why the idea to create a narrative adventure? How did it start?

Sylvain Sechi: We looked at our previous games (Of Orcs and Men and the Game of Thrones RPG, for example) and decided we wanted to focus entirely on our main strength: story. Regarding combat, we had the desire to translate the common combat RPG mechanisms that can be found in most CRPGs into a narrative experience. We did the same with every RPG feature with one core question motivating us: "how can we translate this feature into a narrative feature?"

For combat, as stated above, but also for character sheets, skills, talents, traits, leveling up, inventory, and so on. That was our first pillar regarding the vision when starting work on The Council, and while we were at it, we named the genre of the game "Narrative RPG". It was also important for us to create a game where the main form of interaction was not hitting/killing people or creatures.

Our second pillar was "consequences over choices". We absolutely wanted to craft a consequence-based game, and not simply a choice-based game.
The first episode of The Council is scheduled to be released today on Steam. Here is the launch trailer:

More information.

Thanks Farflame for arranging this interview.

You are welcome.
I have to thank game director Sylvain Sechi and Focus Home Interactive for really quick answers. I seems they really believe in their story and consequences. They even call it "consequence-based narrative RPG", not "choice-based game".

I hope the game will be good and wont be overlooked. I think that there is room for more adventure/RPGs with non-combat skills.

Thanks Farflame. A great interview which makes me even more likely to buy this game. I also consider V:BL and Fallout 1 & 2 to be very heavy on consequences, and see that as a great inspiration for a game. It seems like these developers are taking a risk in creating something very original. I think that's cool and wish them the best of luck.

Thanks Farflame. A great interview which makes me even more likely to buy this game. I also consider V:BL and Fallout 1 & 2 to be very heavy on consequences, and see that as a great inspiration for a game. It seems like these developers are taking a risk in creating something very original.

Yes. Thats why I like these AA titles with reasonable budget. And it has good reviews.

Imagine if Telltale would use these RPG mechanics for their games like Guardians of the Galaxy etc...

I'm in, but I typically don't get Episodic games until they are finished with all their episodes. I am hopeful they get the non-combat thing right because there are a ton of RPG adventures that need to be done this way.

Eh? So is Farflame a new spokesman here? Could be an ill, ill omen.

Nice one Farflame!

Nice one Farflame!

Thanks.

Eh? Don't we get a saying, or some kind of election system? ;)
This is how democracy dies ( along with Xi, Putin and others).

What are you talking about, Bobo? What do you want to elect on RPGWatch? I admit Im not very good at understanding "bear's mind". Maybe I should ask joxer for help.

Did you eat some trash meat from McDonalds lately? Maybe you should hunt down some fresh meat (for example hunt mercy, you will feel better and we wont have to read his hate here :) sorry).

Note - I think that elections in general are discussed in topic called Politics and Controversies.

Wtf you on about Bobo?

If you want to interview a company, pick up the phone, call them, interview them...
If you want to post it here, mail it to someone that has post abilities.

Sorry if you feel somehow slighted that Farflame had some initiative to go and do something.

Eh? Don't we get a saying, or some kind of election system? ;)
This is how democracy dies ( along with Xi, Putin and others).

Democracy dies when people are too stupid to know what they are voting for. You either get terrible ineffective leaders or you slide your country into bankruptcy once the number of leeches outnumber the productive.

Democracy dies when people are too stupid to know what they are voting for. You either get terrible ineffective leaders or you slide your country into bankruptcy once the number of leeches outnumber the productive.
Democracy itself is a flawed system but somehow continues to work.:biggrin:
Wtf you on about Bobo?

If you want to interview a company, pick up the phone, call them, interview them…

Sorry if you feel somehow slighted that Farflame had some initiative to go and do something.
Yep it's very easy to do as seen by my various interviews in the past.
Let me second that as Farflame always had good questions to send for interviews.

Wtf you on about Bobo?

If you want to interview a company, pick up the phone, call them, interview them…

Lol, I was joking around. No need to get bent. :cool:

Sorry, overreacted.
I thought you were attacking Farflame for no discernible reason. Didn't quite get the joke.

Back
Top Bottom