|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » XCOM 3 - Everything We Want To See

Default XCOM 3 - Everything We Want To See

October 14th, 2018, 20:41
GameWatcher wrote about everything they want to see from XCOM 3.

XCOM 3 - New Enemy Types

This should be a given, frankly - but we're not just referring to more enemy types, which XCOM 2 gladly provided. We mean a complete overhaul of enemies, as the old set are getting rather predictable now. Basing XCOM 3 around Terror From The Deep would help a lot with this. We want to be surprised by opponents again, and give the design team a challenge - the soldiers in XCOM 2 were just boring, and the roided-up Sectoids were no fun anymore. Completely new enemies please!

[…]
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

October 14th, 2018, 20:41
Would be interesting if they introduced some divergent stories for… the aliens. They're written as black & white evil characters at the moment. Why are they intent on colonization?

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

October 14th, 2018, 21:08
Hmm wasn't that answered in XCOM 2: War of the Chosen. The Ethereals needed the humans as material to help extend their life, and stop the decay of their bodies.

Link - https://steamcommunity.com/app/26850…2595301979755/

Also something about an ongoing war and a more dangerous enemy.
--
"That makes me angry, and when Dr. Evil Trump gets angry he trolls Twitter."

Check out my RPG News Thread usually updated daily.

Couchpotato

Dr. Evil Trump

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

October 14th, 2018, 21:08
Just finish Xcom Enemy Within. Dam' good game… I don't know why I've avoided it for so long. Looking forward for this one.

Odrid

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

October 14th, 2018, 21:24
Honestly, maybe it's time for the series to take a break. There's a LOT of games like this coming out now. Let the new IPs have some air for a few years. See what ideas they come up with. Then improve on them in XCOM 3.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

October 14th, 2018, 23:34
While I can agree with some of the points there was really nothing worth of notice in that article. And the last one about missing a point blank 95% shot just shows that you're really not "getting" what the turn based system is meant to represent. Even though the opponent is standing still on screen you still have to grasp the concept that in "reality" everyone is moving around, and then those kind of misses aren't as unfathomable anymore.

TomRon

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

October 15th, 2018, 01:04
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
Honestly, maybe it's time for the series to take a break. There's a LOT of games like this coming out now. Let the new IPs have some air for a few years. See what ideas they come up with. Then improve on them in XCOM 3.
Naw, XCOM has so much replayability I could never get sick of sequels unless they become obvious cash grabs (*looks at you, Tropico*)

What I would like to see is more along the lines of the original XCOM remake pitch back in 2012:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1QnIfsSKYA

More suspense, more cinematic, more mature content-- but with all the same deep strategy we've seen through XCOM 2.

Terror From the Deep doesn't interest me at all.

ChaosTheory

Virtual Reality Hero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

October 15th, 2018, 02:42
Originally Posted by TomRon View Post
While I can agree with some of the points there was really nothing worth of notice in that article. And the last one about missing a point blank 95% shot just shows that you're really not "getting" what the turn based system is meant to represent. Even though the opponent is standing still on screen you still have to grasp the concept that in "reality" everyone is moving around, and then those kind of misses aren't as unfathomable anymore.
I find high percentages tend to confuse some people, too. If you say 95% chance to hit, they interpret that as "virtually certain". If you say 1 in 20 times you'll miss, they understand that'll come up quite often.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

October 15th, 2018, 04:13
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
I find high percentages tend to confuse some people, too. If you say 95% chance to hit, they interpret that as "virtually certain". If you say 1 in 20 times you'll miss, they understand that'll come up quite often.
loading…
--
How nice for you to meet me.

Winterfart

Passenger

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

October 15th, 2018, 13:22
GameWatcher wrote about everything they want to see from XCOM 3.
I want to see full game released, no DLC and no stupid "random encounter bosses".
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)

October 15th, 2018, 14:30
Sure, sure, people are getting confused. By the constant noise made by those who claim knowledge. Quasi certainty though has meaning.

One in 20 twenty times of what, such a conformist mindset.

Actions or things can not be substituted. People are pushing for that everywhere.
Yet it makes no sense.

In a game, the action that must succeed is the one the player is considering, not a hypothetical one that would come later. It does not balance out. Actions are not equivalent.

Beside, and first, 95 pc hit chances does not mean 1 out of 20. 20 consecutive rolls could give three or four misses as none.

Originally Posted by TomRon View Post
Sure, sure. Reversion in blame.

That is a limitation in the used model, not the opposite.

UgoIgo percentage based models barely support representation of sure shots, 100 pc hits are not welcome. The 5 95 pc bracket is a cheap way to introduce uncertainty.

In combat situations, a point blank shot is missed for causes that are not included in the UgoIgo modelization stuff.

Trained killers do not miss their target in the conditions depicted by UgoIgo vid products.
--
Backlog:0

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

October 15th, 2018, 14:41
More XCOM would be cool. I absolutely love the XCOM games and would definitely buy another squeal. However, they do have their weak points. I'd personally like to see the base management side of things improved, to provide a bit more rounded game. I also would love to see either better writing, or maybe just less of it, as what there is can be cringe worthy a times.

Kyrer

Watchdog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

October 15th, 2018, 15:45
Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur View Post
Sure, sure, people are getting confused. By the constant noise made by those who claim knowledge. Quasi certainty though has meaning.

One in 20 twenty times of what, such a conformist mindset.

Actions or things can not be substituted. People are pushing for that everywhere.
Yet it makes no sense.

In a game, the action that must succeed is the one the player is considering, not a hypothetical one that would come later. It does not balance out. Actions are not equivalent.

Beside, and first, 95 pc hit chances does not mean 1 out of 20. 20 consecutive rolls could give three or four misses as none.
I didn’t say that the percentage (5 in 100) and 1 in 20 are “the same”. They self-evidently are not. If we were talking about a statistical sample (which this is not), the difference would be significant. But when we are talking about probability (which we are) 5% and 1 in 20 are two ways of expressing EXACTLY the same thing.

One doesn’t have to “conform” to the rules of mathematics and reality, of course, but they are what they are.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore
Last edited by Ripper; October 15th, 2018 at 16:53.

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

October 15th, 2018, 16:53
Everything I want to see in XCOM 3.

screeg

floating head

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

October 15th, 2018, 18:27
One doesn’t have to “conform” to the rules of mathematics and reality, of course, but they are what they are.
Like gravity : it's still only a theory but one that people who jump off a bridge can verify easily

As an aside : strange time when some people don't want to believe in science and express it using the last scientific marvel (the internet).
I spent a lot of time on Reddit debating with anti-vaxxer or flat-earther and none of them never had polio. I wonder why.
--
How nice for you to meet me.

Winterfart

Passenger

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
+1:

October 15th, 2018, 18:49
The difficulty with Chien, is that not only does he have his own higher versions of science and philosophy, but also his own superior version of English, which our conformist minds struggle to comprehend. He has explained this before, when fools have dared to suggest that what he's saying doesn't make an awful lot of sense.
--

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

October 15th, 2018, 20:33
I didn’t say that the percentage (5 in 100) and 1 in 20 are “the same”. They self-evidently are not. If we were talking about a statistical sample (which this is not), the difference would be significant. But when we are talking about probability (which we are) 5% and 1 in 20 are two ways of expressing EXACTLY the same thing.

Not mathematics rules but mathematics representations.

So
If you say 95% chance to hit, they interpret that as "virtually certain". If you say 1 in 20 times you'll miss, they understand that'll come up quite often.
From this, of course, it must be understood that people do not understand that they have 5 pc to miss (quasi certainty to miss) and when 1 out of 20 expresses exactly the same thing as 5 pc, it does not express a quasi certainty to miss.

Beside, a point was one in 20 what.
--

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

October 15th, 2018, 20:35
Originally Posted by Winterfart View Post
Like gravity : it's still only a theory but one that people who jump off a bridge can verify easily
It is good thing that probabilities do not come with the same sentence. Or a bad thing.
--

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

October 15th, 2018, 21:04
Don't know what the hell you're on about, Chien, and I find the effort to decipher your babble is not typically justified. We do have another French-speaker here, though, and he has mastered both English and Earth-logic. Perhaps you could explain it to him, and he could attempt to translate?
--
Last edited by Ripper; October 15th, 2018 at 21:17.

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

October 15th, 2018, 21:30
Don't know what the hell you're on about, Chien, and I find the effort to decipher your babble is not typically justified. We do have another French-speaker here, though, and he has mastered both English and Earth-logic. Perhaps you could explain it to him, and he could attempt to translate?
Despite the name, I don't think he's from France. Based on what little I've understood from his posts I'm placing him as being from China or somewhere nearby.

fadedc

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » XCOM 3 - Everything We Want To See