|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » nvidia sucks

Default nvidia sucks

October 20th, 2018, 14:19
While their gpu are pretty good the company is driving me crazy with its forced install of crap when i upgrade drivers. Next gpu will definitely be amd.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

October 20th, 2018, 14:25
I agree, they get more and more annoying with registering for driver updates etc. True traits of a company that feels it got all the power in the market they are operating in.

basharran

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

October 20th, 2018, 15:02
Keeping unwanted software off a Windows gaming PC is fighting a losing battle, these days.

You can extract the contents of the Nvidia driver package, and then do an old-school installation from the control panel.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

October 20th, 2018, 15:13
What are you forced to install? Each thing is optional with a check box.

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

October 20th, 2018, 16:14
Some things are optional, but it installs a load of cruft besides the driver, even if you deselect everything else. For one thing it installs a Windows service that monitors and reports your usage, and you don't get a choice on that.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

October 20th, 2018, 17:19
loading…

@Ripper can those services be turned off afterwards and will my GPU work normally if I do so?

Ivanwah

Sentinel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

October 20th, 2018, 17:36
Originally Posted by Ivanwah View Post
@Ripper can those services be turned off afterwards and will my GPU work normally if I do so?
Back in the days when I used Windows as my main machine, I always used to disable the extra Nvidia services, and never noticed any problems.

I've long since given up on trying to keep Windows clean, though, and now my Windows machine is for gaming only - I just let all the crappy software get on with it. From time to time I just format it and do a fresh installation. So, I can't guarantee they'll be no problems if you disable the Nvidia services, but AFAIK it should still be fine.
--

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

October 20th, 2018, 17:50
Thanks, I'll do that now. I still try to keep it clean, so no Geforce Now for me, no Aorus crap that came with my GPU (since the only thing it does Afterburner doesn't do is change the color of the LED on the card, which I don't care about), and no other crap that claims to make your PC run better but only uses up RAM. I only use Afterburner, but only for monitoring since my GPU comes with a hefty overclock from the box.

Ivanwah

Sentinel

October 20th, 2018, 19:25
They disabled the check box on nvidia experience so it could not be deselected. Had to install it with the drivers then uninstall it.

Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
What are you forced to install? Each thing is optional with a check box.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

October 20th, 2018, 19:36
Originally Posted by you View Post
They disabled the check box on nvidia experience so it could not be deselected. Had to install it with the drivers then uninstall it.
Did they just do that? I don’t have the lastest drivers yet but I have the ones just before that and I get this screen.

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

October 20th, 2018, 19:54
Ok; i tried to remove it in the custom install configuration. That's where i normally remove it. Guess you gotta pay attention to the license and then the custom install.
-
Whatever. They still suck

Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
Did they just do that? I don’t have the lastest drivers yet but I have the ones just before that and I get this screen.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

October 20th, 2018, 20:18
That evil Nvidia! How dare they make me have to pay attention during the install!

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
+1:

October 20th, 2018, 20:27
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
That evil Nvidia!
Well as a red AMD patriot I'm biased.

So Nvidia is both Evil and Overpriced.
--
"That makes me angry, and when Dr. Evil Trump gets angry he trolls Twitter."

Check out my RPG News Thread usually updated daily.
Last edited by Couchpotato; October 21st, 2018 at 02:10.

Couchpotato

Dr. Evil Trump

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

October 21st, 2018, 13:52
Would be nice if they allowed us to just download the driver and not the rest of their crap. Anyway enjoy your milk and cookies.

Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
That evil Nvidia! How dare they make me have to pay attention during the install!

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

October 22nd, 2018, 19:15
I dont know what the fuck they fuck up, but in the last 2-3 months that crap geforce experience gives me an error 1-2 days after i install it; its that "something went wrong" bullshit when i open it and because of it, nvidia control panel doesnt work either.
--
Favorite Game: Gothic II
My steam profile

porcozaur

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

October 23rd, 2018, 02:43
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
So, I can't guarantee they'll be no problems if you disable the Nvidia services, but AFAIK it should still be fine.
Yep - everybody that doesn't have 3D Vision should disable telemitry. Everyone who DOES have it should ensure that the service is running before playing any 3D game.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

October 23rd, 2018, 20:29
When the GeForce Experience was introduced, it brought forth a lot of problems with both the Nvidia Control Panel and the Experience program itself. Ever since, I've typically done custom installs without GeForce Experience.

Additionally, recent stirrings within Nvidia have pushed me to look into other alternatives, though, such as future products and services…
--
~Watching since 2007~

Ragnaris

Sentinel

October 24th, 2018, 17:52
When I update my drivers I always do a custom install and only select the actual driver itself and PhysX, none of that unnecessary experience crap.

I haven't had an ATI / Radeon card in quite a few years so I don't really have a basis for comparison. Might take a look at them when I upgrade but really have no reason to do so at this point, especially considering I mostly play indie or "AA" games at most.
--
Currently Playing: Heroine's Quest, Quest For Infamy, Planescape: Torment

daveyd

Turn-based lifeform

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

October 24th, 2018, 18:47
I used GeForce experience for a good year or so to stream to my Nvidia shield and never had an issue.

I’m actually very happy with Nvidia. However, I have no brand loyalty if someone else can offer better performance I’d switch.

Amd just hasn’t been able to compete in the high end and I have no idea what intel will come up with. So for now it’s Nvidia.

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

October 24th, 2018, 18:59
Custom install or you get e.g 3D Vision and stuff which you might not need. If custom install is a choice whenever you install something it's the way to go. If i for some reason forget to do it i just go to add remove programs and sort by date, uninstall whatever crap was installed.
--
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be manners."
- George Carlin

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » nvidia sucks