Obsidian Entertainment - Survey on RPG DLC

Yea, that is absurd, that they don't include a season pass once someone goes past a certain financial level.

I was very interested in this game, even though I wasn't interested and didn't buy the first one, but had liked what I saw in this sequel, but if Obsidian thinks they are going to start doing the micro-transaction thing with this game, they can buzz off.

TW3 free DLCs are mico-DLCs.

Also, TW3 had a season pass available pre-release with the only info available at the time being 2 content DLCs coming post-release (some people were kinda pissed at it). The fact they released large DLCs via their season pass doesn't change the fact that they had one.

True. But the small DLCs were free and used as a (clever) marketing tool.

I can live with season passes, too. They are like pre-orders and everybody can decide for themselves, if they want to do that. The game doesn't win or lose anything by them. I pre-ordered Blood and Wine because I felt I underpaid for the main game. It was so beautiful and story-rich my mouth was open half the time. (Not counting the boring combat.)

Replied more or less the same as a lot of people around here I imagine: Low on the multiplayer stuff, and beefy in terms of what DLCs should be like. Digital expansions would probably be a better word for it.

I can live with season passes, too. They are like pre-orders and everybody can decide for themselves, if they want to do that. The game doesn't win or lose anything by them. I pre-ordered Blood and Wine because I felt I underpaid for the main game. It was so beautiful and story-rich my mouth was open half the time. (Not counting the boring combat.)

In my opinion season pass hast to meet two requirements to be worth it. First, it has to very clearly lay out WHAT you're getting and secondly it must provide a time frame of WHEN said content is coming. Acceptable pricing is subjective and up to the individual, but so many season passes are basically just "yeah yeah, just give us money and we'll make something... or we're already polishing cut content to sell it to you separately".

but so many season passes are basically just "yeah yeah, just give us money and we'll make something… or we're already polishing cut content to sell it to you separately".

Reads like a variation on crowdfunded scene's ways of working.

Is a "season pass" something like a subscription ?

It just means you get the game and the DLCs that are to be released in the future. The cost of the season pass is less than the game + DLCs

Never bought a Season Pass and probably never would. I'm not in some rush to play any of these games so I'll wait for the GOTY, Legendary Edition, Super Ultra Awesome Edition and the like and buy it then. :)

Season Pass = PreOrdering/PrePaying for unspecified number of DLCs to be announced in the future.

Season Pass = PreOrdering/PrePaying for unspecified number of DLCs to be announced in the future.

Yup, that's about it. And I haven't been into any RPG lately that I would want to do that for. I can patiently wait for all the DLC stuff to release and buy it later.

I think the last game I was that into was probably 2011 when Skyrim released. Maybe the next Elder Scrolls I'll grab the Season Pass for. That would probably be about it though.

Don't really care what Obsidian does DLC-wise, they need to make a decent base game first. :p Would be interested in a Tim Cain / Boyarsky project if they get to do something Troika esque. Or NWN 3. Otherwise, don't think I see myself ever buying another one of their games again.

isn't FIG an investment fund? So theoretically, if more people bought DLC you would benefit if you contributed.

I guess the real question for contribution awards is if you get DLC, does that mean you get a copy of them or get royalties from them?

Sort of depends what is meant by DLC - the term encompasses both the bits of core content snipped out by the more cynical publishers, and legitimate traditional expansions. If they are specific about making two full expansions, like CDPR did, I don't have a problem with them offering a discount in exchange for paying up front.

I don't buy much DLC anymore unless it's in a game I haven't played at release and is now included in a "complete" version. By the time most DLC come out for newly released games I am really interested in, I've already played the base and moved on to other games. I don't like replaying games, mostly.

Well this isn't communist Russia and everyone loves a little cha-ching in their pocket - it keeps the lights on after all - I do recall people in the past hating expansions for the same reason as DLC - it was just a cash grab meant to milk the consumer.

The very first expansion, Wizardry ][: Knight of Diamonds, had such a big backlash that the first Wizardry was required to play it, that the guys quickly patched it to make it standalone.

If you folks played with the NWN toolset you will remember the backlash that NWN mods were suddenly incompatible with the core game if you installed either of the two expansions and Bioware pretended to be helpful by giving a "solution" of running a script to change the flag that did that.

Anyway, point being that as long as people pay money for stuff like this, companies will do this. Finding the essence between $$$ and making something unplayable is the tricky part. Goodwill unfortunately doesn't always pay the bills.

Also, please quit voting down Multiplayer. How are we supposed to get the next NWN without multiplayer?

(Communist Russia did put out some great games though - Chess and Tetris. I still play all two of them)

Back
Top Bottom