What games are you playing now?

playing on the PS Vita. Great looking game
Isn't that from a logic perspective called a tautology?
PS Vita and something looking great. :p

Well, I don't grind, like out of principle. So I see the quest to do something and I go and do it, fighting some mobs on the way. I do keep myself stocked with the best equipment I can afford, but perhaps my problem is with updating the orbs. Right now I'm supposed to go through a foggy area for locations of some herb, and the mobs there are all weak to fire, but the fire spell does like 1/5th their health (plus I only have like 40 fire crystals), and they paralyze my people. It's like every fight is a boss fight.

Hmmm, is those herbs called something with Bear.. ehhh something ?

I think I might know where you mean, is it for that guy in medicine store in the Bose market ?

It is a huge game... so not 100% sure if I am right.. but if I am that part is a bit harder than the other parts... first of, you should make sure everyone has orbments so they can cast Fire Ball... second of all there is an item you can purchase that will prevent paralyze. Also remmember to plan when to interupt and such to get the critical hits / critical spell casting. If you can't afford the orbments or the right items perhaps do a another quest first. Also there is no need to grind in the game, but if you don't want to grind on hard, you have to be careful with what you buy, and how you spend your orbs.

Hmmm, is those herbs called something with Bear.. ehhh something ?

I think I might know where you mean, is it for that guy in medicine store in the Bose market ?
yes those are the herbs and that's the guy.
It is a huge game… so not 100% sure if I am right.. but if I am that part is a bit harder than the other parts… first of, you should make sure everyone has orbments so they can cast Fire Ball… second of all there is an item you can purchase that will prevent paralyze. Also remmember to plan when to interupt and such to get the critical hits / critical spell casting. If you can't afford the orbments or the right items perhaps do a another quest first. Also there is no need to grind in the game, but if you don't want to grind on hard, you have to be careful with what you buy, and how you spend your orbs.
I'll just restart on normal. I loathe grinding and it seems that I will have to grind, if not for exp, for crystals. Even if I do what you say, each cast uses one red crystal, casting 3 spells per enemy I'll use up all I have just going back and forth looking for those herbs.

I think I made a mistake by choosing 'hard' for my playthrough of Legend of HEroes: Trails in the Sky. Game is too hard for me in that setting (either that or I'm missing something).
I've seen people accuse hard mode of being unfair, especially the first miniboss. They say physical attacks don't do damage without buffing, you've got to use a party with casters, etc. The reason is probably that originally there was no difficulty choice, it was something tucked on later and not tested enough.

The good news is that you don't need to grind. The XP you get for slaying monsters automatically scales up or down, so that you'd be at required levels at certain points of the game, no more and no less.

Do you use items to raise ATS and avoid using Shields for casters? You can also add fire damage to physical attackers using accessories.

I'm not entirely sure I understand which chapter you're playing and which enemies you're fighting. There are some fights that require tricky tactics (at least they were tricky for me!), I had to go ask people at the forums how to win them.

You must be joking…. the game is super easy in the hard setting… and I know you are good at these kind of games. It must be you have missed something!
You must be awesome. I found the game rather challenging even on normal. It's so much harder than FC was.

Anvil of Dawn.

Made me wonder what's missing from those modern - indie or otherwise - offerings. It's really not a great game, mechanically, or design wise... but it's still delicious. The art and atmosphere in this game are superb. Those man hours of professional artists are worth their money.

Great art direction can go such a long way in improving a game in ways the grognard in me couldn't anticipate.

I've seen people accuse hard mode of being unfair, especially the first miniboss. They say physical attacks don't do damage without buffing, you've got to use a party with casters, etc. The reason is probably that originally there was no difficulty choice, it was something tucked on later and not tested enough.

The good news is that you don't need to grind. The XP you get for slaying monsters automatically scales up or down, so that you'd be at required levels at certain points of the game, no more and no less.

Do you use items to raise ATS and avoid using Shields for casters? You can also add fire damage to physical attackers using accessories.

I'm not entirely sure I understand which chapter you're playing and which enemies you're fighting. There are some fights that require tricky tactics (at least they were tricky for me!), I had to go ask people at the forums how to win them.

You must be awesome. I found the game rather challenging even on normal. It's so much harder than FC was.

yes those are the herbs and that's the guy.

I'll just restart on normal. I loathe grinding and it seems that I will have to grind, if not for exp, for crystals. Even if I do what you say, each cast uses one red crystal, casting 3 spells per enemy I'll use up all I have just going back and forth looking for those herbs.

I am genuinely shocked people find this game difficult on hard…. especially someone like wolfing. I mean I have been thinking through the game, what a pity that it is so easy on hard, I know there is yet a another difficulty setting, but I don't want to restart to play on that one, I expect a game to be a bit challenging on hard. I do not know how people can find it challenging on hard. I didn't grind at all, and the game has been really easy. Maybe because I read the in game information and understood how the game works? Yes it happen that I died a couple of times, but it only required thinking of a new strategy to win, and there is the retry option so you don't even have to go back to a save spot. If you don't want any challenge what-so-ever in the game and just want to play it for the story.. might as well play on easy or use a cheat ? It makes me sad that people want games to be super easy these days, so you don't have to think at all to beat them.

Anyhow if my tips were not enough, you know you can just run past the monsters without fighting them and get the herbs?

There is a house where you can rest up and recover your EP and HP, perhaps you missed it? without that it could be difficult.

I might try continuing the hard game, but I've played many JRPGs where skipping combat just ends up delaying the inevitable, you skip combat, you level less, have less resources, and eventually you just can't continue unless you grind some spot for resources or levels (which means game over for me). Maybe it's just this area I'm in with the freeze monsters I'm supposed to not fight, but needing 3 casts to kill one mob feels like one of those games like Disgaea in which my level falls further and further behind the mobs as I progress because I don't grind.

I might try continuing the hard game, but I've played many JRPGs where skipping combat just ends up delaying the inevitable, you skip combat, you level less, have less resources, and eventually you just can't continue unless you grind some spot for resources or levels (which means game over for me). Maybe it's just this area I'm in with the freeze monsters I'm supposed to not fight, but needing 3 casts to kill one mob feels like one of those games like Disgaea in which my level falls further and further behind the mobs as I progress because I don't grind.

It is not like that, also the lighter is a common drop ( prevents freeze ). As for having to grind like Elel said This game fixes that by giving you more XP if you are under leveled and give you less if you are over leveled, and I have played much further without needing to grind. So I don't think such a thing would happen for you.

I tried out Dying Light and while a parkour game sounds awesome I just can't get into them it seems. I never finished Mirrors Edge either. I guess I like a more aggressive game where I feel strong yet have time to take a look around when I feel like it. This is a perfect example of why the first few hours of a game are so important. They need to catch my interest in the beginning else I'm off to something more fun. I totally wasn't in the mood to look everywhere for more crafting supplies like in F4 either.

It makes me sad that people want games to be super easy these days, so you don't have to think at all to beat them.
I think you're drawing a wrong conclusion here. I don't like easy games personally, I just said that the game was tough enough for me on normal, but I wouldn't want it to be made easier than that. And yeah, the reason was likely that I completely forgot how to play it and all those explanations about quartz and what not from FC that I read years ago.

Have you tried the Trails Cold of Steel yet? It must be the easiest game in the series, with a massive EP pool, CP that feels like it never ends, lots of health, "cheating" CP skills (like the one that restores your HP each turn), etc. I heard that the Japanese fanbase wasn't delighted with how easy it was and the next game was made more difficult yet again.

For some reason CRPGs are all easy for me, I always play on hardest difficulties available, but JRPGs are more varied in difficulty. Some are super easy, some turn out to be tougher than I expected. It's likely due to CRPGs all being essentially the same combat-wise. So if you've learnt how turn-based (a la D&D) and action (a la Gothic and Witcher) systems play, you can just play all CRPGs on hardest available difficulties from then on. Other Western systems will essentially be the clones of these ones.

I tried out Dying Light and while a parkour game sounds awesome I just can't get into them it seems. I never finished Mirrors Edge either. I guess I like a more aggressive game where I feel strong yet have time to take a look around when I feel like it. This is a perfect example of why the first few hours of a game are so important. They need to catch my interest in the beginning else I'm off to something more fun. I totally wasn't in the mood to look everywhere for more crafting supplies like in F4 either.

How long did you play for? Dying Light is nothing like Mirror's Edge. You get progressively stronger, and the exploration is really good. You're just not all-powerful like in so many other action games, although you do get pretty strong towards the end.

I started playing the Quest maybe two days ago, so far I've only played about two hours and I'm really enjoying it. If you liked the old school Might and Magic games with grid movement, and a game that doesn't hold your hand, this one should satisfy.

I think you're drawing a wrong conclusion here. I don't like easy games personally, I just said that the game was tough enough for me on normal, but I wouldn't want it to be made easier than that. And yeah, the reason was likely that I completely forgot how to play it and all those explanations about quartz and what not from FC that I read years ago.

Have you tried the Trails Cold of Steel yet? It must be the easiest game in the series, with a massive EP pool, CP that feels like it never ends, lots of health, "cheating" CP skills (like the one that restores your HP each turn), etc. I heard that the Japanese fanbase wasn't delighted with how easy it was and the next game was made more difficult yet again.

Haha - yeah, I remember playing Legend of Heroes: Tales of Vermillion on the PSP an absolutely adoring it ... But it also felt like a 'casual' game throughout. Whereas Trails in the Sky was much more challenging to me ... I had problems playing it on Normal when I was just replaying. Now Trails of Cold Steel so far seems like it will be pretty easy throughout ... Which is quite honestly fine by me.

But I am curious to go back and retry Trails in the Sky again after this just to see :)

How long did you play for? Dying Light is nothing like Mirror's Edge. You get progressively stronger, and the exploration is really good. You're just not all-powerful like in so many other action games, although you do get pretty strong towards the end.

Just a few hours but the interest just wasn't there. I'm not going to play a game 20+ hours just for it to finally get interesting.

Haha - yeah, I remember playing Legend of Heroes: Tales of Vermillion on the PSP an absolutely adoring it … But it also felt like a 'casual' game throughout.
You actually played that game?! The Gagharv Trilogy games are a walk in park, indeed. They're more like visual novels with RPG elements :)

Whereas Trails in the Sky was much more challenging to me … I had problems playing it on Normal when I was just replaying.
For me Trails in the Sky was easy, except one battle, the hardest in the game. Not the end boss. But Trails in the Sky: Second Chapter was rather challenging. Cold Steel will probably be easy until the end, with such huge pools of HP\EP\CP. Huge and growing!

Just a few hours but the interest just wasn't there. I'm not going to play a game 20+ hours just for it to finally get interesting.

It must be a personal thing because I found a lot to be interested in within the first hour.

Give it another chance in the future if you're ever in the mood for that type of setting. The atmosphere is tough to beat.

I've started a few different RPGs while waiting on the devs to possibly fix controller compatibility for Last Dream. Started a game of Earthbound, which surprisingly is a game I have never played much of before. Really enjoying that one.

Also started a game of Recettear just to check it out quickly and played for about an hour. I can see myself playing that one more and checking it out when I don't have multiple games going.

I said in the "last game you played" thread that I was moving to Shadow of Mordor, but after tried it a bit I'm not "feeling" it. Looks like basically a "Kill all Uruks" game. So I started Final Fantasy XIII-2 instead.

My first reaction was basically O_O, what the hell is going on here? Followed by "nooooooooooooo, not QTE!". Although they aren't that bad so far and few and far between and some of those fights sequence were rather awesome (they did this better than The Witcher 2). Then there was a Mog (Kupo!) and I am in cuteness overdose…

I've been pulled into Trails in the Sky like I haven't been with a JRPG for many years. It strikes the perfect tone of simple charm -- without the overwrought bombast that's made the latest editions of FF and other big series disappointing to me.

But ... I'm in chapter 2 now and I'm realizing that my Bracer Points are unsalvageable, thanks to my not realizing until too late how many quests are missable or failable if you don't get on them right away. In reawakening my JRPG appetite, the game has also reawakened the fussy completionism that goes along with it.

So I'm tortured. I'm twenty hours in -- do I restart? If I'm gonna restart I should do it now. But I don' wanna! That's twenty hours down the drain! This morning I opened up the game and stared sadly at the title screen before shutting Steam down again.

OCD gamer problems.

Back
Top Bottom