KoA: Reckoning - Answers from the Team

I'm hoping it lives up to the positive press it's getting...At the very least I think it will be as good as two worlds 2, which at least means I will gets ome fun with it.

@lostforever-those quest markers aren't over the npcs, they're the markers on the map. Quest markers are for showing what location to travel to, it's not an icon over the quest giver's head. The reason Skyrim does this is because you can have 60 or more quests going at the same time, if you try real hard. I still prefer the ability to turn them off, which Pete says you can do. It isn't built into the game though. That will be one of the first mods I bet. From reading between the lines, it sounds like many Oblivion mods will be very easy to convert to Skyrim. Time will tell.

There is actually "quest markers" above NPCs heads in Skyrim. I saw it in an illegal video today (on gametrailers, they will probably disappear real soon, so go the crappy xbox player while you can).

Just saw the cam videos. The world in the cam vidoes seem far more "colourful" than the HD officials videos!

There is actually "quest markers" above NPCs heads in Skyrim. I saw it in an illegal video today (on gametrailers, they will probably disappear real soon, so go the crappy xbox player while you can).
Thanks for the link, some new "unmoderated" footage of Skyrim is appreciated.

Regarding those quest markers, yes they are sad, but they are not quest markers that denote "I'm a quest giver", but markers that mark your ongoing quest's target person (like "this is John, the NPC you're supposed to talk to to continue your quest"). There's a difference, albeit slight, between these, but as such they are nothing that the Oblivion's quest compass didn't already do (which is also in Skyrim).

Sorry for derailing thread. Will stop here.

@lostforever, I'll guess we'll just have to see. I haven't seen such markers in any of the footage released, but I never get to see the bootlegged stuff, because work blocks most video sites.

@lostforever, I'll guess we'll just have to see. I haven't seen such markers in any of the footage released, but I never get to see the bootlegged stuff, because work blocks most video sites.

I just saw the bootlegged videos and I can see markers on an NPC and its not really distracting like some other games. Anyway its not big deal as you can turn it off :)

Skyrim markers confirmed to be able to be turned off according to a previous poster, so I don't know why everyone keeps comparing them. Even if Skyrim doesn't have a toggle mods will take care of it, but no mods for this game. If you can turn these off though then no big deal.

I no longer care about yellow exclamation marks over quest givers. I guess I'm too used to it now. Just don't have a dotted line pointing me exactly where to go.

The minimap icons I can live with or without. What I want and they seem to have delivered is that you will see how your actions affected the world around you.
Agree with you re: the minimap, and I too have gotten over quest givers with overhead markers... the main thing that worries me about this game is the word 'Accessable' that is being tossed around with wild abandon in their developer walkthroughs/demos...

The dialogue option (main quest dialogue option) being highlighted for you also is a bit weird... there best be secrets/easter egg bonuses etc for checking out the other dialogue options too.. or it's basically a false sense of choice when speaking to NPCs if the only speech option that matters is the top one..

: note : I really want this game to be good... I just have a weird feeling.. kind of a 'pre-fable 3' type feeling..

Piranha byte's solution was good, just give quest npc/vendors real names, and everyone else is a Citizen or Acolyte or some other less personal name.

Yeah, it's great on the clarity front but still don't like it.

But that's probably my Morrowind colored glasses speaking again.

In that game, even humanoid mobs had a full name (unlike Oblivion where they went back to being nameless Maraurders or nameless this or that faction + class). Smugglers or other mobs really felt like they belonged in the world and didn't feel as the nameless canon-fodder they are in Oblivion or most other RPG. In fact, they were cannon-fodder in Morrowind, but with them having unique names it didn't feel inevitable that you would be fighting them. Their gameplay role is "enemy" but their names gives them a feeling that they transcend their gameplay role and it gives them lore, the name suggests they had a life before being a criminal/enemy and it makes you think that if the NPC made different life choices he might have been a guard instead of a smuggler, with an NPC named "Necromancer" there's no context and no hint of what might have been for that character, it's just the one-dimensional 'enemy' role.

Yeah that was probably off-topic on the original subject but I still wanted to share it.

Yeah, it's great on the clarity front but still don't like it.

But that's probably my Morrowind colored glasses speaking again.

In that game, even humanoid mobs had a full name (unlike Oblivion where they went back to being nameless Maraurders or nameless this or that faction + class). Smugglers or other mobs really felt like they belonged in the world and didn't feel as the nameless canon-fodder they are in Oblivion or most other RPG. In fact, they were cannon-fodder in Morrowind, but with them having unique names it didn't feel inevitable that you would be fighting them. Their gameplay role is "enemy" but their names gives them a feeling that they transcend their gameplay role and it gives them lore, the name suggests they had a life before being a criminal/enemy and it makes you think that if the NPC made different life choices he might have been a guard instead of a smuggler, with an NPC named "Necromancer" there's no context and no hint of what might have been for that character, it's just the one-dimensional 'enemy' role.

Yeah that was probably off-topic on the original subject but I still wanted to share it.

I agree with this so much. It was so much better in Morrowind where every character had a real name. They didn't feel so cheap as random "bandit". Great post.

I'm a sucker for a big open-world game, but I'm not sure I could watch my character swinging one of those ridiculous two-handed hammers. Maybe I'll give this game a shot if I can fight unarmed or something. :p

In fact, this game is totally off my radar, unless you guys here starting screaming about how great it is. I'm getting the same vibe JDR is.

And I totally agree with your point, Julius. I always feel more invested in a game that gives full names to even the most insignificant characters. It makes me a little sad when the named peons die. :p

Oh, and to hell with markers over characters heads in game. I'm OK with map markers, as I only look at them fairly rarely. It actually kind of sucks if Skyrim does it, even with an option to turn them off (though certainly better than no option at all). I'd rather be able just to leave map markers on all the time and rarely look at them than to have to switch back and forth, as I simply can't abide seeing them in the game world. I guess I'll have to turn them off and just turn it on if I get really stuck. But then, I'll have to turn it off as I get close to my destination. :p

Though in the last few years i haven't played many games, I admit that. I started with RPG's in 84 with u3, which doesn't mean alot.
I have never played fable nor care to, but I get the feeling there is alot more to this game then what meets the eye.
Curt was a fan of RPG's, there is alot of talk of lore, I hate the comic book graphic's of it all. But I really have a feeling there is going to be something here. Maybe not Witcher here but surely not DA2.
I am sure with the graphics and combat there is a hugh push to get the two days gamers to buy and play it. It just seems there is something lurking for the hardcore gamers under all of that.
If i am wrong well shit that won't be the first time, I really don't think I am though…
Witcher dark great story, choices…etc…will KoA be that i don't think so. But a great story with tons of side quest, ton's of interesting items, hugh world to explore most likely….I wish Curt the best with this quest…

Back
Top Bottom