Grey Goo - A New RTS Game

Khm, resource is called Catalyst. Grey Goo is name of the game, while Goo is name of one of the factions.

Khm, resource is called Catalyst. Grey Goo is name of the game, while Goo is name of one of the factions.
I typed the short little impression in hurry since no one else on this thread shared their opinion yet. I'll fix the tiny mistake so moving on now the game is still still good.

Last edited:
I have been watching a lot of streams and MP games and it is a fun game.

Petroglyph released a new patch on Steam today. Here is the Link with the information.

Game Update for February 17, 2015

February 17, 2015 Update Notes

AI

• Default AI is now Lambert instead of Random

Audio

• Fixed an issue where the RTS Primer VO audio was incorrect in German

Units

• Aircraft will now prioritize empty landing pads first when ordered to land by right clicking on Hangars/Airpads
• Further improved the extents shrinking from 50% to 25% to minimize artillery/AoE impact of grouped units

Campaign

• Adjusted Easy and Normal difficulty settings. Hard difficulty is unaffected.
• Fixed an issue where script-spawned units were not being given the correct health modifiers
• Fixed a bug in The Barricade that caused some enemy Guardian units to idle in brush instead of properly mounting wall pillars

Engineering

• Added matchmaking improvements to allow players easier access to searching for matches worldwide
• Improved logic for detecting players disconnecting to force a win or avoid a loss
• Servers will now temporarily pause when connection loss is first detected
• Added improvements to performance that prevents certain cases from lagging the client severely
• Structures from an eliminated player will now properly clear up passability upon deletion
• Fixed a crash local to 32 bit machines
• Fixed a crash that would occur while loading a multiplayer match
• Fixed a lock that would occur for clients when the host would close the lobby
• Fixed an issue where 2v2 Ranked matches were not properly reporting
• Fixed crash that would occur when starting skirmish match

Terrain Editor

• Fixed crash that would occur when launching a custom map with the spigot marker inside the HQ boundaries
• Fixed crash that would occur when loading an untouched custom map

UI

• Moved Quick Match window up in the Multiplayer screen while search is ongoing
• Added translations for new text
• Fixed an issue with compressed Korean text
• Added a new “Extras” section to the menu with a quick launch button for the Terrain Editor
• Made various fixes to improve performance in the UI
• Fixed an issue where the game would unpause immediately after pausing in single player

I played through it. It was fairly interesting, but the campaign was too short. It's basically just an intro to multiplayer, like C&C Generals. As for multiplayer: It's got potential, as it's got rather original factions, but right now the Beta feel a bit over the top.

At any rate, it's overall a good game, but unless you intend to play multiplayer, I'd probably wait for a price drop.

I would not recommend it for 50$ unless money means little to you. It is a good game but not worth what they are asking for it.
I pirated it and played the campaign and plan to buy it on future Steam sale so I can play the MP. MP seems interesting but since they skipped beta stage before release it has problems that are normally fixed in that stage.
But devs are working on them. By next Steam sale those should be all fixed.

Ted Morris the Executive Producer of Petroglyph did a new Post-mortem article.

Link - http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...rey_Goo__getting_back_to_the_roots_of_RTS.php
I’m really proud of what we’ve been able to create in conjunction with our stellar partners at Grey Box, Axis Animation, and Weta. It was a bold move to build a classic, yet also evolved RTS game when the market has been shifting so heavily to the MOBA and F2P titles.

We’re excited for the future of Grey Goo as we continue to improve on the core game and release new features and improvements to the fans over the coming months.

Considering this game has such a crazy loss of players in very short time they can talk all the want but they need to do some drastic stuff to fix it

Did you read the article? As he talks about the mistakes the developer made, and could of corrected. As for me I got my money worth as I don't care about the MP.:)

Last edited:
Did you read the article? As he talks about the mistakes the developer made, and could of corrected. As for me I got my money worth as I don't care about the MP.:)
I did now :D
There was cool things I didn't know about their fuck ups. It is even worse then I thought LOL.
And the thing about pirated copies causing crashes lol.

I just lost last bits of faith I had in this game after reading this article. Oh well, Act of Aggression and LotV beta before that.

Seems you will be able to buy a boxed edition now thanks to a publisher called UIG Entertainment. Here are the details from the press release.
UIG Entertainment signs distribution agreement for Grey Goo

Höhenkirchen-Siegertsbrunn, April 1st 2015; UIG Entertainment signs Grey Goo for retail distribution in France, Italy, Scandinavia (Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Iceland), UK, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Slovenia USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand.

The highly rated strategy hit (metacritic score 78 %) takes you in old school RTS manner to fight for survival on a planetary oasis by commanding one of three factions: the defense-oriented Humans, the versatile Beta, or the all consuming Goo. Construct impenetrable walls, dominate from strategic outposts—or become the Goo and overrun your enemies.

Grey Goo will be released in retail stores in April 2015 for 39,99 €.

About Grey Goo:

Centuries after Humanity first left Earth, all forms of life in the Milky Way have evolved toward an inward tranquility. But there has been a mutation. A mysterious organism barrels toward the surface of a lone, resource-rich planet known as Ecosystem 9, on a mission to consume all it encounters.

Grey Goo is a real-time strategy (RTS) game that combines classic strategy mechanics and a balanced combat system with an emphasis on large-scale decision-making. It puts you at the center of a tactical struggle for survival—and ultimately, control of Ecosystem 9.

Command one of three unique factions: the Humans, masters of defensive architecture; the Beta, a proud, versatile alien race; or the Goo, an enigmatic, highly mobile life form. Fight from behind massive walls, attack from strategic outposts, or swallow your enemies whole. Just remember, the choices you make on the battlefield will mean the difference between glorious victory and agonizing defeat.

Features

• Find the faction that fits your play style—and master it by taking on the AI or the Grey Goo community.
  • Experience the conflict on Ecosystem 9 up close and personal in the single-player campaign.
  • Join the fray on Steam and find opponents through skill-based matchmaking.
  • Change the rules of the battlefield with unit-altering tech upgrades.
  • Deliver devastating blows by constructing game-ending Epic units.
  • Take the battle offline via Local Area Network play.
  • Create your own battlefields with the Grey Goo map editor and share them with the community via Steam Workshop.

Grey Box & Petroglyph released a new DLC campaign , and its free for a limited time.

Additional Major Content Update Evolves the Real-Time Strategy Game with New Multiplayer Features

HOUSTON – June 9, 2015Grey Goo™, the critically praised real-time strategy game published by Grey Box and developed by award-winning independent studio Petroglyph, expands today with the arrival of new single-player DLC and a free update that adds a number of improvements to multiplayer.

Grey Goo’s new DLC, titled “Emergence,” contains three new story missions that take place during the game’s single-player campaign. “Emergence” is now available on PC through Steam for $7.99, but it is free to download for anyone who owns Grey Goo until Thursday, June 11 at 11:00am CDT.

In addition, Grey Box and Petroglyph have updated Grey Goo with a host of new enhancements, free for all users. The full list of features added today includes: an observer mode for spectating matches; a replay mode for watching and sharing previously played matches; dedicated server support for multiplayer; and the ability to import custom assets into the game’s terrain editor.

Set in a fully realized sci-fi universe created in partnership with acclaimed design studio Weta Workshop, Grey Goo is a modern RTS experience inspired by the classic strategic base-building and unit management gameplay of the genre’s origins. Grey Goo’s story-based single-player campaign unfolds across three distinct playable factions – the industrial Betas, technologically advanced Humans and all-consuming Goo. It also features up-to-four-player local (LAN) and online multiplayer, as well as a robust terrain editor.

Grey Box and Petroglyph have continued to support the Grey Goo community with new updates and events since the game’s release earlier this year, including a number of balance optimizations and Map Pack 1, which included nine new multiplayer maps. The team is currently working to bring additional multiplayer maps, multiplayer pause functionality, and further terrain editor improvements to the game in the future.

Grey Goo is currently available on PC via Steam for $49.99. It is rated T (Teen) by the ESRB. For more information, please visit www.greygoo.com , and follow the game on Facebook and Twitter.

The game is dead and this without a sale will not revive it.

$49.99 is way too much for this game. I tried a few levels and it's not bad, but the single-player campaign is quite short, and the game doesn't seem to have much of a multi-player community.

Back
Top Bottom