Recommendations, please!

Elel

Devout Priestess of RPGs
I have two requests for recommendations. Note: f2p recommendations greatly preferred!

1) A game that supports story mode with a group. We tried playing DDO with a friend, it's perfect. But failed to find anything else so far. DDO allows each person in the group to receive a quest independantly. Games like NWN share everything between the group, which means that I'm not done reading yet, but my friend already closed that window and now I have no idea what it's all about. A cutscene? Too bad if your friend didn't feel like watching it. I can't play like this.

2) Which games have an actual and interesting story? I heard good things of LOTRO and I've already played SWTOR.

Extra question: I've never played WoW but I wonder what the fuss is all about. I feel like I'm missing out on understanding modern gaming culture without giving it a go. But before I try it, please tell me: 1) is story and missions all the same for all races once you leave the starting area? 2) how similar is a playthrough of Alliance to the Horde, i.e. will an undead still end up fighting against the LK?

LOTRO is damn good. It has story, interesting LotR lore, etc., and it's just fun and epic to play. Huge, too, with good exploration, great locations, etc. Just really good. Asheron's Call is great, too, but I don't know if it would qualify for interesting story. It's mostly just a huge old-school MMORPG to get lost in, do a bunch of side quests, dungeon dive, explore the world and develop your character with the very free and extensive stat and customization systems. It is also very unique and not your typical WoW-style game. Love it, but if you're looking for more story, I'd go with LOTRO.

You might want to try Eldevin its super f2p no p2w weapons armor or buffs, fun with friends and groups and its similar to old runescape if you ever heard of it.
Only downfall though is the low population , but its a friendly and supportive community

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LOTRO is damn good. It has story, interesting LotR lore, etc., and it's just fun and epic to play.
Is it worth it to play a few characters (hobbit, human, etc.) to experience the story? Will it be different for them? Not just class stories, but overall story. Like in SWTOR.

I've never played WoW but I wonder [..]: 1) is story and missions all the same for all races once you leave the starting area? 2) how similar is a playthrough of Alliance to the Horde, i.e. will an undead still end up fighting against the LK?
1. The starting area is unique for every race, although all races of a faction can theoretically quest everywhere. In practice you'd do your race's own starting area first. If you play with friends on different continents and you want to meet up with them as soon as possible, ask a mage in chat to make a portal for you once you finished your starting area (or try to walk -- that's possible too and can be fun ;))

Alliance can't do Horde quests and vice versa.

It's structured like this:
- level 1-10: race-specific newbie area, which is a small part of the…
- level ~11-20: race-themed starting area
- level ~20-.. race-themed adjacent area (at this point there's some overlap)
after that the leveling areas tend to merge.

2. The differences between Horde and Alliance in story and quests last much longer and never really end, although mid- to endgame they can occasionally do the same quests in case of neutral factions. There's usually an Alliance hub (camp) and a Horde hub in each area. Bigger things like dungeons (5 people) or raids (10-25?) are generally the same for everyone, maybe with a slightly different POV. So yes, as an undead you'll fight the Lich King too. Older raid dungeons can be experienced solo once your level is high enough.

Thanks for info!

So yes, as an undead you'll fight the Lich King too.
Why can't I be truly evil and fight alongside the Lich King? :(

I guess the story is at fault. It can't branch off in two different directions…

Is it worth it to play a few characters (hobbit, human, etc.) to experience the story? Will it be different for them? Not just class stories, but overall story. Like in SWTOR.

Dunno. I only played a Human Ranger character. It had cool story bits, though, and the gameplay and exploration was on point. Also played it for awhile before having to spend any money.

Also, remember that with DDO, we have an RPGWatch Guild on the Khyber server where people from here play together quite regularly and the social aspect is just as important as the game play.

My recommendation would be that if ddo is perfect, ask your friend to not close conversations and cutscenes if you're generally the slow one :p

As for other games, I'd say give The Secret World a go. If you can handle its flaws it's a very good mmo with great writing

FFXIV is not F2P but it's quite good, with a Main Story and other dungeons with their own stories, and lots and lots of extra stuff to do. Several months of enjoyment for sure. Just for reference, the set of cutscenes after the end of the original MSQ (Main Story Quest) is about 45 minutes long, the game even warns you about it :) You can skip the cutscenes and watch them later at the inn.

Last edited:
Everquest 2 has a lot of quests naturally. I'm not sure about main story line, my character level is a bit low for understanding of the main story, but many quest storylines, books, texts are written in a very interesting way and unlike games like LOTRO and FFXIV these texts are much easier to read and comprehend, especially for non-native-English players. They normally miss that "Unholy doom rider has arrived on the wings of storm bringer covering sea of blight with the imaginary illusion called Monster of Paragon with breeding Mother of Truthfulness, bla-bla-bla..." :)

I'm currently playing The Elder Scrolls Online. Most of the time I play solo and it's a really fun game. I recommend it to all Skyrim fans.

I'm currently playing The Elder Scrolls Online. Most of the time I play solo and it's a really fun game. I recommend it to all Skyrim fans.

Ya, this is one of the MMOs that you can either play the story by yourself, or as a group. As some of the quest lines are instanced. Also, a lot of the public dungeons can be done by a wide range of levels, so you don't have to feel left out if there's a gap between you and your friends in regards to progression.

ESO is only a one time purchase with no monthly.

LOTRO and even WoW (up to level 20) are free to play. So doesn't hurt to try them all out.

However in the case of WoW, if you're feeling left out of modern gaming culture, you can always try a private server too, seeing how the original release was (some prefer it better): http://www.kronos-wow.com/

I would not recommend AC. It was very neat for its time but a good story/questing it never was.

WoW was great in Classic but I couldn't stand it once the expansions started coming out.

I recommend LoTRO or ESO. Both have great stories/lore with LoTRO being better IMO story-wise. The Moria expansion is easily the best area I have ever done in a MMO.

I've played all 4 of these extensively and am playing ESO at the moment.

I tried to get in DDO but I just didn't like the forced grouping. I prefer Solo most of the time.

I would not recommend AC. It was very neat for its time but a good story/questing it never was.

Eh, it's still very neat, IMO. :) I played it a bunch a year or so again and it was still a lot of fun to play. But no, not really as much of a story MMORPG as LOTRO or what have you. The questing is fun and there are some cool bits for quests in it, but yeah.

ESO is only a one time purchase with no monthly.
Gold Edition costs almost one third of my monthly wage, incredibly expensive for a game. And the normal Tamriel Unlimited edition has no Dark Brotherhood and no Thieves Guild.

My recommendation would be that if ddo is perfect, ask your friend to not close conversations and cutscenes if you're generally the slow one :p
I asked. My friend keeps forgetting about it. :(

FFXIV is not F2P but it's quite good, with a Main Story and other dungeons with their own stories, and lots and lots of extra stuff to do. Several months of enjoyment for sure. Just for reference, the set of cutscenes after the end of the original MSQ (Main Story Quest) is about 45 minutes long, the game even warns you about it :) You can skip the cutscenes and watch them later at the inn.
It's a purchase + subscription.

Gold Edition costs almost one third of my monthly wage, incredibly expensive for a game. And the normal Tamriel Unlimited edition has no Dark Brotherhood and no Thieves Guild.

Besides DB and TG, it's not worth the extra money, mostly just vanity items, and a mount you can get pretty quick anyways. You can always purchase it down the road later separately. There's thousands of hours of content already in the regular tier.

And they also offer DLC pack deals where you can buy all of them together at a discount.

Should be able to find the base game for about $20-25 easily.

Back
Top Bottom