Elder Scrolls Online - Saving the ES MMO

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Polygon steps back and takes a longer look at Elder Scrolls Online, its evolution, and where it's going with One Tamriel and beyond.

How do you take one of the biggest franchises in games and move it to an entirely different genre without losing what makes it special?

That was the question posed by the team at ZeniMax Media when it formed ZeniMax Online Studios in 2007. Its answer was The Elder Scrolls Online, an ambitious project to take the world of Tamriel — made famous by single-player games like The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind and The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion — and reshape it into a massively-multiplayer online game.

But in 2011, four years after work began, studio director Matt Firor and his team started to think they might be on the wrong track. The feedback from internal playtests was mixed. ESO was just OK, and OK wasn’t anywhere close to good enough.
Read on.

More information.

this game is on sale everywhere atm :lol:
im not a mmo player but played it for 92h according to steam and liked it and dont think ive done even a quarter of the content

ESO was good for me for 200 hours. It was about 2 years ago I think last time I played it.
What I don't understand is the concept of open areas to player of any level. So, if I level 1 and I go to the dragon cave to kill the dragon I supposed to be able to kill it. Otherwise it is not a "go anywhere you want". And if I am able to kill dragon starting level one, why do I need to level my character? Why do I need to search for a better sword? Just to be able to kill dragon in 5 seconds instead of 1 minute? Bah…

Well to play end game content, you really need to be level 50 and well leveled in champion points (and have well thought out cp 160 gear). So that is the driver.

I liked the areas being leveled up for my level 50 CP 550 main, so the new set loot is his level, and the enemies pose a challenge at times. Being able to play with players from other factions and revisiting low level areas that are now rewarding is nice.

But leveling to 50 with lowbie characters is much more difficult now. The scaled enemies whip my ass. Before you could quickly outlevel them because of the huge amount of content. Now that's not possible, and it's more difficult to beat enemies.

I like the difficulty increase, but it sure makes the grind from level 1 through 50 less rewarding, except that you always find loot appropriate for your level. This loot focus rather than character development focus is a bit cheap I think.

Last edited:
Great looking game. I find I tire of it rather quickly so only play for about a week every couple of months. It's a little too easy mode - everything being leveled is a bit meh. You can wade through everything and I've never found any loot that's been worth getting excited about - that's MMO's for you and why they've brought in item sets I reckon. Still it has some really nice world building/environments to nose around in. Base game is worth it, speshly on sale and with the dlc included.

I only played it in beta but it was pretty cool and definitely pretty looking then. The graphics actually had an odd style. They were advanced and looked great yet were a bit different in art style than any other game. I do wish the draw distance would be turned up in these games, though. I like standing on top a mountain and seeing out into the distance.

I've only just begun playing this (level 9) and I'm enjoying it so far. Huge areas with heaps of content, so well worth the buying price.

I played some last week. All the mobs seemed fairly same/same - can't say it seemed that different. But then I'm only lvl 20 and very casual player. When I say it's easy I'm not just talking about the mobs though. I really like the world they've built but many of the modern MMO gameplay aspects kind of detract from the experience for me. I've been playing Oblivion this week to tend the itches that TESO didn't scratch. /shrug - I'm sure I'll be playing TESO again soon enough, it's definitely worth the money.

Well I noticed a huge change this weekend on my level 40, as well as the dungeon mobs and bosses. They keep tweaking difficulty with patches so it's not entirely stable yet. Also some bosses are much tougher than others. Which to me is a good thing.

You won't see any differences on PS4 or XBOX until the 1T update happens on those platforms.

Comes across as a paid-for hype article.

Played some tonight and it seems more fun than before. Combat is improved some. It's a story-driven game as I level up. The voice acting and writing is great. However I don't feel a connect with the world (yet). Some players online but I'm not seeing a lot in the early morning weekday hours (level 20 area).

I'll play some more.

I've been running around doing the Halloween event so I can get all the cool Hollowjack crafting plans.

Dancing and playing the lute while waiting for a boss respawn:

Screenshot_20161014_201907.png

Difficulty has gone up for sure with the patch. A level 1 can indeed adventure to the Dragons Den but theres no way you will beat the dragon.

I've been adventuring with my guild lately and I die the most by far as I just don't have the Champion Points that help out tons. I think I'm CP 13 now so just a baby still. My gear still sucks but I just made Level 50 the other day and have not searched for better gear yet.

The Gold Edition is already down to $27 which annoys me some as I payed full price for it on day 1.
https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/the-elder-scrolls-online-gold-edition/

I probably paid more than double that original price for the content of gold edition, so don't feel so bad. I know people who have been playing it from the start when it was even more expensive.

Does someone care to explain me the main differences about ESO Gold Edition, ESO Tamriel Unlimited and ESO One Tamriel?

Thanks in advance! :)

EDIT: also: does RPGWatch have a thread specific to this game, where we can look for another players (much like DDO has the 'Team Corwin' thread and all)?

Last edited:
One Tamriel is the base game now. You get it no matter the package you buy, or if you subscribe.

ESO Unlimitted allows you to play the base game permanently. You can also buy whatever dlc you want to play in addition, separately, also permanently. No subscription required.

ESO gold allows you to play the base game and all of the DLC released up until now except Shadows of the Hist. Again, this is permanent, with no subscription.

ESO Plus is a subscription that also allows you to play the same content as gold plus the SotH DLC and any future DLC. It also has some other nice benefits like an account-wide crafting bag that has no limit on the amount stored, some crowns to use in the game store, xp gain boni, plus others. If you let your subscription run out you lose access to the game until you renew or buy the game out right with one of the options above. But all your characters and inventory and email (and craft bag) sticks around until you regain access. BTW, after letting a subscription expire, all you can do is withdrawal from the craft bag if you don't renew and just buy permanent access.

Yes, it's a complicated marketing strategy.

Last edited:
I hope that the game continues to do well and improve. It feels like a game I could come back to over the years with its enormous amount of content, and the optional subscription model seems perfect for my casual play style (only level 11, haven't even been in a dungeon yet--ha!).

I've read that they'd like to go back to older areas and improve the view distance and fog (that's apparently there at least in part to mask immersion-breaking views in the distance), which is good news for me. One other fear of mine is, perhaps not fully substantiated, that the areas are not unique-looking enough, but so far that hasn't been a problem. I just like to have something to look forward to is terms of exploration and immersion.

Back
Top Bottom