Winter Babies Research

magerette

Hedgewitch
I came upon this article and found it both interesting and weird. Apparently, children born in the winter months can frequently have a different life experience based simply on their season of birth. They've been said to not do as well in school, have lower incomes, shorter lifespans and other difficulties. This particular article examines some research on the subject done by, strangely enough, two economists.
New Light on the Plight of Winter Babies
The article is also kind of a sidelight on economist's methods.
Here's most of the relevant stuff:
…But economists Kasey Buckles and Daniel Hungerman at the University of Notre Dame may have uncovered an overlooked explanation for why season of birth matters.
Their discovery challenges the validity of past research and highlights how seemingly safe assumptions economists make may overlook key causes of curious effects. And they came across it by accident…
The two economists, whose offices are across from one another, were comparing notes one day and realized that they might have stumbled across an answer to the season-of-birth puzzle that previous research had overlooked.

A key assumption of much of that research is that the backgrounds of children born in the winter are the same as the backgrounds of children born at other times of the year. It must be something that happens to those winter-born children that accounts for their faring poorly.

In a celebrated 1991 paper, economists Joshua Angrist of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Alan Krueger of Princeton University argued that season-of-birth differences in how far children go in school is due to how school-attendance laws affect children born at different times of the year. Children born in the winter reach their 16th birthdays earlier in the year than other children, which means they can legally drop out of school sooner in the school year — which some do, leading to lower education levels in the group.

…Other researchers have suggested other reasons for season-of-birth differences. Maybe vitamin D was playing a role, for example, because children born in the winter were getting less sunshine in early life. Or maybe being put in the same school year with children who are mostly younger makes children born in the winter less socially mature. A study published in the medical journal Acta Pædriatica in April found that children born in the winter have higher birth-defect rates and suggested it was due to a higher concentration of pesticides in surface water in the spring and summer, when the children were conceived.

There may be validity to all of that research. But if there was any truth to the pattern that Ms. Buckles and Mr. Hungerman discovered, it would question the weightiness of other factors from past research. If winter babies were more likely to come from less-privileged families, it would be natural to expect them to do more poorly in life.

The two economists examined birth-certificate data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for 52 million children born between 1989 and 2001, which represents virtually all of the births in the U.S. during those years. The same pattern kept turning up: The percentage of children born to unwed mothers, teenage mothers and mothers who hadn't completed high school kept peaking in January every year.

The article then goes off into graphs and economic-ese and loses me but, I guess my point is, it's amazing to me that something as intangible as the time of year a person is born could have a real effect on their future lives.

I'm a winter baby. That sucks. I'm moving to America so I'll be a summer baby.... and successful instead of vitamin D deprived underachiever. On the bright side, apparently I don't have much longer to suffer before I die prematurely.

Havent thought about winter babies in general, but my naziesque primary school teacher (who later ended up my neighbour, dreadful woman) claimed that kids born towards the end of the year can be at some disadvantage compared to their classmates in early stages of school. An age difference of 6-10 months make a big difference to seven-yearolds. That is a different effect than the one described in this article though (by the same logic the january babies should be at an advantage!).:p

Anyway I read the actual paper (newspaper articles tend to miss or stress the wrong point when summarising research, even if this summary was pretty decent)

The article then goes off into graphs and economic-ese and loses me but, I guess my point is, it's amazing to me that something as intangible as the time of year a person is born could have a real effect on their future lives.

But their conclusion is that it isnt the time of year that has an effect! Always be careful about confusing correlation with causality. The conclusion of the research paper states:

Women giving birth in winter are more likely to be teenagers and less likely to be married or to have a high school degree. These effects are large in magnitude and are observable for children born throughout the second half of the twentieth century. We show that these seasonal changes can account for a large portion of the poorly understood relationship between season of birth and other outcomes..

And that the socioeconomic circumstances of the parents are the cause rather than the time of year per se. Previous research has instead focused on winter itself (lack of sunlight, whatever) rather than this socioeconomic detail:D

Moral of the story: Teen mothers are bad for you, winter probably not so much.

Last edited:
@Kayla: Yeah, I'm a January baby, which is why I guess I read the thing in the first place. I guess being a straight A honors student was some kind of genetic mutation…

@ Zaleukos: Yes, I understood that the point being made was that earlier research might be wrong and the problems were possibly more due to socio-economic factors. But those factors predicating when exactly you will be born still seems, well, weird. Poor people only have sex in summer? The earlier research actually seemed to make more sense to me—I know I was always older than everyone else in school, and as you say, it did seem to help not hurt. OTOH, I *was* born to a single mother (though she was in her twenties) in struggling economic circumstances…who knows?

Anyway, just an excursion into the weird factoids that make up our ideas about ourselves. :)

nope, the secular humanists once again have it wrong in their assumptions of why these obvious effects happens. this research clearly indicates proof positive of astrological influence. duh...

Back
Top Bottom