Witcher Witcher Interview at Gamespot

The Witcher

woges

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Heres a clip:

"GS: This is a very mature role-playing game, and it deals with a lot of adult themes. This is partly because it's based on a popular Polish fantasy series, but how have you approached this in the game?

MM: First of all, we established that we want to treat gamers seriously. We don't want to sell them a cheap story about some great hero saving the world. When we made this decision we didn't realize how serious a step it was going to be. We had to work out every detail that would make our story "mature." In his books, Andrzej Sapkowski never avoided harsh topics like violence or racism. We decided not to change his style, and to make The Witcher a more mature game. We want to get the attention of gamers who are interested in a deep story and the consequences that come along with making tough decisions throughout the game. "

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/thewi...topslot;title;2&om_act=convert&om_clk=topslot

I don't really know too much about this game, sounds like it could be interesting though.

I think many of us have feared that the game was veering towards "mature = beddin' da ho's" ... it was nice to read this and be reassured again (there have been a few good ones since that GfW clunker) that it will be full of conflicted morality and difficult issues.

Has anyone read Andrzej Sapkowski?

I think many of us have feared that the game was veering towards "mature = beddin' da ho's" ...

Actually Mike, I think it still does mean that, except that just won't be ALL of the mature content. ;)

Actually Mike, I think it still does mean that, except that just won't be ALL of the mature content. ;)

I have no problem with that being *part* of the content so long as there is more substantive stuff at play - like the 'mini-game' in Indigo Prophecy.

Wasn´t the mature content meant a collect the chicks card game? Every time the witcher uses his charisma on a different female he gets a card.

What was he playing, Poke Her!! :)

What was he playing, Poke Her!! :)
Maybe this classic was new for our younger visitors. ;)

I also had to smile because I spent the whole evening watching poker on TV. I come back from a serious 90 min. docu on the French/German culture channel Arte about Joe Hachem´s try to defend his title, as a hook for an inside look at the WSOP from a player´s perspective. And then I read this. :)

Wasn´t the mature content meant a collect the chicks card game? Every time the witcher uses his charisma on a different female he gets a card.

o.0
Now thats just silly... Almost as silly as the weapon stacking feature in
Two Worlds.

How developers think that they can combine their attempts at a gritty realistic
setting and gameplay experience with these little wierd minigames is baffling
(for me at least)...

Maybe this classic was new for our younger visitors. ;)

I also had to smile because I spent the whole evening watching poker on TV.

Ummm... no offense but how bored and I mean HOW BORED must one be to spend a whole evening watching POKER on TV, Mr. Gorath, hm? Or was it strip poker? Then I haven't said anything :biggrin: .

Has anyone read Andrzej Sapkowski?

I have read his work. It is quite descriptive and imaginative. I think that seeing all the screens and video footage, the game has the potential to really create an intriguing atmosphere in the game (similar to that in the book). I cant wait. The racism part in the book at times was incredibly hilarious -- I hope CDProjekt will include some of it.

Ummm... no offense but how bored and I mean HOW BORED must one be to spend a whole evening watching POKER on TV, Mr. Gorath, hm? Or was it strip poker? Then I haven't said anything :biggrin: .

Don´t try to understand it, my young padavan. Know it or know not. :greengrin:

Last edited:
Ah, may the Flop be with you!! :)

i got stuck watching poker one day at mama sammy's (she watches it all the time)while I was doing laundry, and it actually wasnt that bad. There's lots of little events that happen, and you know people's cards. Slightly more entertaining than the laundry itself, but it could have been worse. I could have been stuck watching auto racing. Now that cranks up seratonin like nothing else, it knocks me out like watching someone play Mah Jongg for hours or something. Hours of watching cars driving around in a big circle. Someone just drop an A-bomb on me. Just end it! Dont let me go on like this!

I end up hoping for some spectacular crash, just to break the dread monotony!

Ahh.. you must have been watching NASCAR or Formula racing. Yep, that's about as exciting as watching paint dry. Now illegal STREET RACING on the other hand is great entertainment!! :biggrin::biggrin:

How does one watch illegal STREET RACING?

Well my personal favorite method is by participating in it. :devilish: JK.
Uhh... other than that you can go to the "special interests" section of your local video store and find hours upon hours of footage, usually spliced in-between scenes of half-naked women laying across the hoods of Japanese tuner machines... AND THAT my friends is how I steer this conversation back on topic!!! LOL

What? You didn't catch it? Oh, we were talking about the possibility of mature content in the Witcher being nothing more than a boob-fest, and I brought it back around to that again. :boogie:

Back
Top Bottom