New 'Wheel of Time' Novel

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
This newsbit over at slashdot just made my day. If you're a fan of the Wheel of Time series, like I am, then you can grab a copy of the latest book, The Gathering Storm.

I heard they were still going to finish the series even though Robert Jorden passed away. He had a lot of notes and his wife asked Brandon Sanderson to do it. Brandon looked at the notes and said it'll take three more books to finish the series.

It's good to see that Robert Jorden's vision for the series is going to be completed. In any event, I'm heading out tomorrow to see if it's made it across the pacific yet.

Three more books??? (This deserves more than one question mark)

I thought it was only one. Still, this will be the only time I'm going to read books to a series which have been written by a different author, simply because I'd like the series to be finished. I'll probably wait until I can read all three of those in one go, however long that may take.

The next book is scheduled for fall 2010 and the one after that is due out fall 2011.

Three books??? Is exactly what I thought when I first read that, but taking into consideration just how many characters there are and the intricately woven plot lines three books might be a good thing. When reading the last novel, I wasn't sure how Robert Jorden was going to tie up all those loose ends in just one more book.

Old news, dude. We talked about it in the "now reading" thread a while back. ;)

I grabbed Elantris by Sanderson to see if he had any chops. He does. That's encouraging. Jordan was planning a mother huge final volume, but they decided against it. The official story is that a book that thick would be too expensive to manufacture or would require a vicious chop job during editting. I think it's pretty obvious this is a cash grab--why sell people one book when you can sell them 3. That said, I'll be in line with wallet in hand.

I plan on picking it up on Tuesday or whenever I go grab Dragon Age.

Old news, dude. We talked about it in the "now reading" thread a while back. ;)

I grabbed Elantris by Sanderson to see if he had any chops. He does. That's encouraging. Jordan was planning a mother huge final volume, but they decided against it. The official story is that a book that thick would be too expensive to manufacture or would require a vicious chop job during editting. I think it's pretty obvious this is a cash grab—why sell people one book when you can sell them 3. That said, I'll be in line with wallet in hand.

I keep forgetting about those stickied topics ;)

I thought the same thing about more cash, especially with a new author. But then remembered how complex the story is. I don't think I'll mind paying for three books instead of just one, as long as all the plots are taken care of at the end. I'll be very excited to read the last book because the last chapter was written by Robert Jorden himself before he passed away. I'm very interested to see how he imagined this story conclusion. Especially the "blood on the rocks" prophecy. Can't remember exactly what the prophecy said, but it was something like that "the draond, blood, rocks.......hinting at that the dragon must die. We all know that's not how it's going to play out. You know prophecies, they can be murder trying to figrue out :)

Anyways, this news has made me install the Wheel of Time pc game. It's a decnet game if you know the story. Never did pass it, but I'll give it another shot.

Fun game. The multiplayer (at least, citadel mode) was amazingly fun too.

It was supposed to be one and RJ said it would be one if it required them to invent a binding format.

Common sense after his passing is finally prevailing tho - no way all those story threads can be wrapped up with any satisfaction, tho I'm reasonably certain even he wanted to move on to Memory of Light.

My friend just read this and said the style is nearly identical to Jordan's. This shold bring some closure IMO.

I'll pick it up in 3 weeks and read it on my trip.

@skaven: I don't know how far you got with the game last time - but you should try sticking with it. A really fun take on the shooter genre and definitely worth playing all the way through IMO. Now you made *me* want to reinstall it as well :)

Back
Top Bottom