Final Fantasy VII Remake - Critical Consensus - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Final Fantasy VII Remake - Critical Consensus

Default Final Fantasy VII Remake - Critical Consensus

April 7th, 2020, 21:37
Gamesindustry.biz sums up some Final Fantasy VII Remake reviews:

Final Fantasy 7 Remake: Critical Consensus

Critics praise this impressive but bloated reimagining of the iconic RPG

It wouldn't be a stretch to say Final Fantasy 7 Remake is one of the most anticipated releases of all time.

Since the 2005 PS3 tech demo -- ten years before this remake was officially announced -- fans have longed to explore a modern take on Midgar. The overhauled edition of Square Enix's iconic 23-year-old RPG finally arrives this week, assuming you aren't in an area that has already received copies.

Can any game live up to decades' worth of expectations? Final Fantasy 7 Remake's Metacritic score of 87 suggests so, with critics agreeing it delivers on the childhood memories so many fans cling to.

"With smart (and surprising) additions to a classic world and its inhabitants, Final Fantasy 7 Remake artfully appeals to nostalgia without being bound by it," writes Joe Juba in Game Informer's 8.75 review.

Video Games Chronicle's Jon Bailes adds in his five-star critique: "What's here, right now, is a partial re-formed classic, updated and expanded in every direction, at times to the point of over-inflation, but with extraordinary ambition and care that we can't help but love it."

In her Eurogamer review, which awards a Recommended rating, Aoife Wilson assures that Final Fantasy 7 Remake does justice to the original, describing the experience as "emotional -- even if the remake makes a few missteps along the way."

[…]
More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)

April 8th, 2020, 02:09
It's sounding like they took a 10 hour part of the original game, added some new stuff to make it into something like a 20 hour game, then padded it into a 30 hour game to justify the cost. Hmph.

Well, hopefully they will learn a lesson and make the next entry cover more ground.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
+1:

April 8th, 2020, 05:58
Originally Posted by HiddenX View Post
Gamesindustry.biz sums up some Final Fantasy VII Remake reviews:

More information.
Thank you for posting these news, HiddenX. It's not a PC game (or, at least, not yet), but I like when console RPG games also got some coverage here. Much appreciated!
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!

henriquejr

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)

April 8th, 2020, 06:02
A console game, one of the most anticipated of all time. Sure.

Next.

Nereida

Sentinel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

April 8th, 2020, 06:18
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
It's sounding like they took a 10 hour part of the original game, added some new stuff to make it into something like a 20 hour game, then padded it into a 30 hour game to justify the cost. Hmph.

Well, hopefully they will learn a lesson and make the next entry cover more ground.
It's being positively reviewed and will probably sell like gangbusters. What lesson are you imagining they'll take from that?

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
+1:

April 8th, 2020, 06:18
Originally Posted by Nereida View Post
A console game, one of the most anticipated of all time. Sure.

Next.
A game, period. Computers don't have antisuck chips installed in them.

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

April 8th, 2020, 08:31
I had only PC in the old days so I didnt play original game when it was released. And I also never got to play it later. I played large chunks of FF9, FFX and FFXV and right now Im deep in FFXII which I probably like most so far. This new remake is already on the way to me, and Im looking forward to play it.

Andrew23

Sentinel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

April 8th, 2020, 10:49
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
A game, period. Computers don't have antisuck chips installed in them.
True, but they can be programmed to need more than 6 buttons to be played.

Nereida

Sentinel

+1:

April 8th, 2020, 11:47
You know, given that you knew (a) this is a classic console game and (b) it is not a PC game … you COULD have simply stayed the fuck out of the thread and not polluted it for those of us who are not such PC-only trolls that we can appreciate that there are good games available on every gaming platform ever made. That could have been a possibility … maybe something for you to consider the next time?
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

April 8th, 2020, 13:01
Also, it was an average game even when it was first released. Everyone worth their gaming badges know that III, IV and VI are the good Final Fantasy games. VII only became famous because a whole generation of "gamers" who thought Playstation was the messiah (When its sole success came from how easy it was to pirate games for it, while every other game system at the time was superior, including Sega Saturn) discovered JRPGs and the "amazing graphics" blew the hype out of proportion. VII was the Justin Bieber of gaming. It may sell CDs, but I'll take Madonna or Michael Jackson any day, thank you.

And this version isn't even a shell of what that one was. So yes, most anticipated game release in history. Next to Neoverse.
Last edited by Nereida; April 8th, 2020 at 13:13.

Nereida

Sentinel

+1:

April 8th, 2020, 13:46
Also, it was an average game even when it was first released. Everyone worth their gaming badges know that III, IV and VI are the good Final Fantasy games. VII only became famous because a whole generation of "gamers" who thought Playstation was the messiah (When its sole success came from how easy it was to pirate games for it, while every other game system at the time was superior, including Sega Saturn) discovered JRPGs and the "amazing graphics" blew the hype out of proportion. VII was the Justin Bieber of gaming. It may sell CDs, but I'll take Madonna or Michael Jackson any day, thank you.

And this version isn't even a shell of what that one was. So yes, most anticipated game release in history. Next to Neoverse.
It became famous because it dared to deliver an emotional moment in the middle of what was a grind fiesta: Aeris.

Kos

Watchdog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

April 8th, 2020, 14:16
Originally Posted by Kos View Post
It became famous because it dared to deliver an emotional moment in the middle of what was a grind fiesta: Aeris.
I played the original game without using walkthrus and the like, and man, I was really really surprised to what happened to Aeris in mid-game. I was even thinking it was some kind of "prank", that the things would get back to "normal" by the endgame. But no
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!
Last edited by henriquejr; April 8th, 2020 at 14:42. Reason: Fixed typo

henriquejr

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)

April 8th, 2020, 17:07
I played the demo….and it was awesome….

I mean it is a beautiful game that really adheres to what the original was.

I am so tempted to plop the money down….it's killing me…I'm in the middle of playing the yakuza games now….so….

Btw, this whole PC master race was so 1990's….get over it.
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

April 8th, 2020, 17:16
Originally Posted by rune_74 View Post
Btw, this whole PC master race was so 1990's….get over it.
Only an heretic who has consorted frenetically with the Cartdridge would dare to suggest this. Never!

Kos

Watchdog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

April 8th, 2020, 18:04
I'm pretty sure I'll pick this up and replay it for the umpteenth time, and it will be nice to see the new content, so long as the combat is still turn-based and doable. I'll also be waiting for all the game to be fully available and completely patched, first.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

April 8th, 2020, 18:18
You know a console controller has 17 buttons on it, as well as two control sticks. Some console games use them all.

fadedc

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

April 8th, 2020, 20:27
Originally Posted by fadedc View Post
You know a console controller has 17 buttons on it, as well as two control sticks. Some console games use them all.
It's easier to be judgmental when you avoid pesky things like facts. Even this thing had 8.

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

April 8th, 2020, 20:28
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I'm pretty sure I'll pick this up and replay it for the umpteenth time, and it will be nice to see the new content, so long as the combat is still turn-based and doable. I'll also be waiting for all the game to be fully available and completely patched, first.
It's not, but I thought it was fun when I played the demo.

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

April 8th, 2020, 21:17
Originally Posted by fadedc View Post
And combinations of them, indeed! For example, in FIFA 2020 Circle makes a long pass, but L2+Circle makes the pass more lofty and slow, which is ideal in some situations. If you do Triangle, you do a "Pass through" through the ground, but L2+Triangle, makes the pass through elevated.

The combinations are endless. I can't wait for the next CRPG release to be a console exclusive, as it comes being tradition, since consoles are well known for catering to cultured and educated audiences with honestly, no attempts at catering to the lowest common denominator, accessibility and massification whatsoever. The hype is real. Man, those 17 buttons, can't wait to press them all in every possible order.

Nereida

Sentinel

April 8th, 2020, 21:22
And combinations of them, indeed! For example, in FIFA 2020 Circle makes a long pass, but L2+Circle makes the pass more lofty and slow, which is ideal in some situations. If you do Triangle, you do a "Pass through" through the ground, but L2+Triangle, makes the pass through elevated.

The combinations are endless. I can't wait for the next CRPG release to be a console exclusive, as it comes being tradition, since consoles are well known for catering to cultured and educated audiences with honestly, no attempts at catering to the lowest common denominator, accessibility and massification. The hype is real. Man, those 17 buttons, can't wait to press them all in every possible order.
Geez….if only we all fell into your level of intelligence….so witty.
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Final Fantasy VII Remake - Critical Consensus