Corven - Path of Redemption - Gameplay Trailer and Kickstarter Announcement - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Corven - Path of Redemption - Gameplay Trailer and Kickstarter Announcement

Default Corven - Path of Redemption - Gameplay Trailer and Kickstarter Announcement

June 2nd, 2020, 21:12
Gamebanshee reports that Corven - Path of Redemption has a new gameplay trailer and made a Kickstarter announcement.

The Lycantic team will be launching a Kickstarter campaign for their Ultima-inspired RPG Corven: Path of Redemption on June 9, 2020, along with the game's playable demo. In the meantime, you should check out Corven's new trailer that over the course of nearly four minutes showcases some exploration, combat, character building, and dialogues.

[…]

loading…

More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)

June 2nd, 2020, 23:24
Not the most exciting looking, but I'll keep an eye on it for sure.

Greygore

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

June 3rd, 2020, 03:10
Okay, other than the goofy ankh mouse and an icon of Lord Idiot Garriot, I didn't really get an Ultima vibe from this. It felt like generic fantasy X. Not a bad thing necessarily, as Garriot permanently ruined the Ultima franchise with his various insanities and cash grabs. I feel the devs should have done more of their own thing.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Skyrim Worshipper
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)

June 3rd, 2020, 04:03
Well I'll pledge at a lower tier to help the developers.
--
"We live in a stupid society where everything is racist and diversity/identity is our strength. I feel like humanity is lost, common sense is erased. Welcome to the United States of Idiocracy"

Couchpotato

Dreg of Society

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
+1:

June 3rd, 2020, 18:39
I would have pledged just to help developer, but I found out a couple months ago about the relationship with Richard Garriot.
No chance I'm sending a penny to anything even loosely connected to RG or associates. Regardless of the value Corven feels that RG provides, it says a lot about developer attitude and work ethic if they still idolize him.
--
How about all games have a single huge lootbox you pay for up front that contains all the options, items, skins, unlocks etc? I'd pay for that!!

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

June 4th, 2020, 00:45
Forum Question:
"Is there a chance of co-branding with Richards game Shroud of the Avatar? I know they have co-branded with other games like Star Citizen"

Dev Answer :
"About a co-operation with SotA: We have not talked about that yet and it will definitely not be part of the Kickstarter (rewards) but I would not rule it out for the future."

--
How about all games have a single huge lootbox you pay for up front that contains all the options, items, skins, unlocks etc? I'd pay for that!!

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

June 4th, 2020, 00:52
A couple of months ago could have been an aprilfools joke.
Please check the date.

Because if it's not a joke… OMG.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)

June 4th, 2020, 17:09
Originally Posted by Wisdom View Post
Forum Question:
"Is there a chance of co-branding with Richards game Shroud of the Avatar? I know they have co-branded with other games like Star Citizen"

Dev Answer :
"About a co-operation with SotA: We have not talked about that yet and it will definitely not be part of the Kickstarter (rewards) but I would not rule it out for the future."

Go any where near Richard garriot and you will never get my support….
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

June 4th, 2020, 20:36
Hi!

We asked Richard Garriott for permission to use Lord British in the game because we want Corven to be a spiritual successor to the single player Ultimas.

And whether you love or hate the man, a game with the character Lord British in it is closer to be an Ultima than one that does not have him in it.

We are trying to provide an experience as close to a real Ultima as anyhow possible.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Thank you for your interest in our game! We worked really, really, REALLY hard on it for years now and you are very welcome to play the demo to draw your own conclusions when it's out.

Thank you for your interest in our passion project, I mean it. Thank you

Have a great day!

Corven

Traveler

+1:

June 5th, 2020, 13:14
Keeping an eye on this one!
--
"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1:

June 5th, 2020, 15:10
For me, I need to see a lot more Ultima other than "thou has lost all eighths" Garriot and an ankh. I need to see the 8 reagents, the shrines, the virtues and the rest of the philosophy of the mid-Ultimas.

I'm also curious as to the tiers once this hits. The graphics don't seem to be much, so I'm guessing this should have a pretty low overall budget. Also, if the game is more than a year out, I won't pledge at all. I'm leery of games that aren't close to release and want to spend years in EA.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Skyrim Worshipper
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

June 5th, 2020, 20:37
Concept is great. I followed their Titans of Ether team development from 2014-2017ish. They have passion for sure. Not touching a Kickstarter on this one thanks to the connection to Garriot and cronies. It would have been better for me if he would have continued with the original IP idea. Nothing in the 2018 trailer was Ultima trademarked regardless of the inspiration, it would have been fine.

If the end product is worth purchasing I'll probably pick it up. Not interested in another KS chain of endless early access, ridiculous stretch goals, and a plethora of excuses that pass for updates after the first 5 months. I'm glad they are releasing a playable demo. It should help quell some of the larger issues with previous projects and Ultima similarities to the Scam of the Avatar idiocy.
--

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

June 20th, 2020, 19:42
Well the campaign failed but will be re-launched.

Corven: Path of Redemption Kickstarter Relaunch on Monday - Kickstarter
No matter how optimistic, based on other Kickstarter campaigns, we calculate it.

We will not reach the goal.

In the last few days we were re-thinking the goals and how we could make it work.

So we will cancel this campaign and start it new next week, with adjusted goals.
Not surprised given how crowdfunding isn't that popular anymore.
--
"We live in a stupid society where everything is racist and diversity/identity is our strength. I feel like humanity is lost, common sense is erased. Welcome to the United States of Idiocracy"

Couchpotato

Dreg of Society

June 20th, 2020, 21:42
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
For me, I need to see a lot more Ultima other than "thou has lost all eighths" Garriot and an ankh. I need to see the 8 reagents, the shrines, the virtues and the rest of the philosophy of the mid-Ultimas.

I'm also curious as to the tiers once this hits. The graphics don't seem to be much, so I'm guessing this should have a pretty low overall budget. Also, if the game is more than a year out, I won't pledge at all. I'm leery of games that aren't close to release and want to spend years in EA.
Do they have permission to use the Ultima IP from EA? I know Garriot has maintains the ownership of "Lord Brittish", but the rest of all that stuff is copyright/trademark protected content. I think they should try something new and original rather than piggybacking on the Ultima name.

jrocket

Traveler

June 20th, 2020, 22:46
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Well the campaign failed but will be re-launched.

Corven: Path of Redemption Kickstarter Relaunch on Monday - KickstarterNot surprised given how crowdfunding isn't that popular anymore.
Not for a project like this. There is enough popularity to carry experienced developers with a track record who want to polish something or enhance something they'd probably have made on a smaller scale, like Knights of the Chalice 2 or the the last two kickstarters from Spiderweb. But a mid-budget game from a team with a no track record will have trouble.

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor

June 21st, 2020, 00:23
I have conducted an interview with Corven which will hopefully be published here in the coming week. He is very open and regularly on the Discord forums helping people out.
--
If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)

June 21st, 2020, 06:39
Originally Posted by forgottenlor View Post
Not for a project like this. There is enough popularity to carry experienced developers with a track record who want to polish something or enhance something they'd probably have made on a smaller scale, like Knights of the Chalice 2 or the the last two kickstarters from Spiderweb. But a mid-budget game from a team with a no track record will have trouble.
Yeah gone are the days of projects getting over $150,000 unless you are a well known developer are a smaller one looking for funds just to finish, or add more content.

Sad to see this happening. Seems Early Access is now were it's again.
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
I have conducted an interview with Corven which will hopefully be published here in the coming week. He is very open and regularly on the Discord forums helping people out.
Can't wait to read it.
--

Couchpotato

Dreg of Society

June 21st, 2020, 21:10
Yeah gone are the days of projects getting over $150,000 unless you are a well known developer are a smaller one looking for funds just to finish, or add more content.

Can't wait to read it.
Early access is just as fraught with problems. I kickstarted Graywalkers years ago. They now have the skeleton of a game with some missions and a few characters, and hoped that early access would give them the funds to finish the campaign. That didn't work well, so who knows if the game will ever be finished as they envisioned it.
Of course that also happened to Jagged Allliance: Flashback years ago. But they got a lot more funds initially, and had the extra draw and expectations because of the licence.

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor

June 22nd, 2020, 00:32

Can't wait to read it.
Myrthos says it will be posted once the new KS goes live in just over 13 hours according to Corven.
--
If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)

June 22nd, 2020, 18:12
And this time I even managed to do something I said
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Corven - Path of Redemption - Gameplay Trailer and Kickstarter Announcement