Pillars of Eternity II - Going Turn Based January 24th - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Pillars of Eternity II - Going Turn Based January 24th

Default Pillars of Eternity II - Going Turn Based January 24th

January 22nd, 2019, 23:00
PCGamesN reports that Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire will be going turn-based from the 24th of January.

loading…

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire players are no strangers to choice. But when you boot up the game from January 24 onwards, your first decision will come even before character creation - real-time or turn-based?

Since the inception of the series, Pillars has been firmly rooted in the wonderfully messy but deeply tactical real-time and pause paradigm of the Infinity Engine games. That wasn't a decision the dev team made, so much as a duty they fulfilled to nostalgia-driven Kickstarter backers. Now, though, Deadfire is fully playable in a new turn-based mode. It's the most fundamental and far-reaching change Obsidian has made to any of its games after release.

[…]
Thanks wolfing!

More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)

January 22nd, 2019, 23:44
Wow, first I've heard of that. And I love the idea - can't wait to try it. Not to say I'll love it over the current system, but choice is never a bad thing.

Edit: After thinking about it, I love the idea even more. The AI scripts are great but I'm guessing they won't play a part in TB?

My only (other) question (and I guess I'll find out in 2 days) is what exactly happens with spells that have a cast time, particularly longer cast times; will the "long" ones stretch into the next round? I suppose the answer lies in how much time each round lasts.
Last edited by tekulte; January 23rd, 2019 at 00:24.

tekulte

Watchdog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

January 22nd, 2019, 23:51
That's…freaking…weird??? The game is already "old", and as far as I'm aware of it didn't sell very well although it's highly rated and critically acclaimed? And now they put resources into adding a turn based mode? Seems like a less than logical thing to do, although I guess Josh makes some good arguments in the linked article.

Either way, does this mean I can vote PoE2 as my Goty 2019 as well? Because there's a pretty damn good chance it will be…

Also, the ending quote:
“I’ve always preferred turn-based,” he says. “Because of my tabletop background, and because I prefer closer examination. When I play real-time with pause, I micromanage so much that it might as well be turn-based.”

Josh Sawyer is back on my approved list.

TomRon

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

January 22nd, 2019, 23:54
It's awesome to have the option. I'll probably stick with RTwP for now, but maybe on another replay I'll switch.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

January 23rd, 2019, 00:13
Wow, that's great news. Skipped the game due to being RTwP and having other games I prefered to play. But with introducing turn based, I kinda have to play it.
--
Doing >Let's Plays< and >Reviews< in German. Latest Review: Pathway
Mostly playing Indie titles, including Strategy, Tactics and Roleplaying-Games.
And here is a list of all games I ever played.

Kordanor

Wastelander
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
+1:

January 23rd, 2019, 00:19
There's so much combat in PoE / PoE 2 that this would stretch out an already laborious game even further. In my opinion the combat, albeit chaotic at times, is fine in Deadfire.

What drags down the game is moreso the simplistic encounter and map design (and life-sucking overbalancing). Go to one island, kill this guy, go to another island, kill some other guy. I'm currently level 15/16 in my first and only playthrough and I just feel very little intrigue for the story and setting; at this stage of an RPG (50-66% through), it should be enrapturing me.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

January 23rd, 2019, 00:24
Well, they are mentioning that you have to chose the mode at the start of the game (cannot switch later), and for now they just implement a beta version.

So there is a good chance they will also just reduce the amount of combat to make it more interesting.
--
Doing >Let's Plays< and >Reviews< in German. Latest Review: Pathway
Mostly playing Indie titles, including Strategy, Tactics and Roleplaying-Games.
And here is a list of all games I ever played.

Kordanor

Wastelander
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
+1:

January 23rd, 2019, 01:16
Fantastic, can't wait to try it out.

skally_wag

Sentinel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

January 23rd, 2019, 02:15
I'll be keen to hear if it works well.

Has anyone heard any more about improvements to the ship combat, which I think they mentioned at one stage? Perhaps they could harness the turn-based system to display ship battles as customised combat encounters, with a few new graphics.
--
"And if I laugh at any mortal thing, 'tis that I may not weep."

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)

January 23rd, 2019, 02:37
I started the game a couple of months ago, but I didn't find it fun, combat was too cumbersome the way I was playing it (no AI script and pause after action ends), and didn't care for playing it real time, so this news is great for me.

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

January 23rd, 2019, 02:53
This is exciting. I have never been a fan of real time with pause combat. I hated it the first time I saw it in Baldur's Gate, and it is a big reason why I am one of the few people in the universe who never fell in love with any of the Baldur's Gate games.

Giving people an option as to how they want to play a game is an incredible gift. I'm sure the work that goes in to making both styles playable through an entire game must be enormous.

Phoonzang

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

January 23rd, 2019, 03:09
I really liked the first game and supported it on kick starter back a few years ago. What I don't like is how they stagger the extra content after the initial release, so this time I just waited until it was all available. Now I'll also wait until the turn based system is fully in place before I pick this one up.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

January 23rd, 2019, 04:00
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
What drags down the game is moreso the simplistic encounter and map design (and life-sucking overbalancing). Go to one island, kill this guy, go to another island, kill some other guy. I'm currently level 15/16 in my first and only playthrough and I just feel very little intrigue for the story and setting; at this stage of an RPG (50-66% through), it should be enrapturing me.
Yes, for me the spread out nature of the islands can drag the mid-game down a bit. Some of the locations are particularly enjoyable though, like Splintered Reef, Fort Deadlight, and Crookspur.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

January 23rd, 2019, 04:10
Those who like turn-based systems should be very happy, because late-in-the-cycle patches from Obsidian often represent ideas they're testing for the next game. (Those who don't like turn-based systems should be unhappy for the same reason.)

jsaving

Traveler

January 23rd, 2019, 05:00
I'm a fan of both RTwP and turn-based so no preference really. Still to decide to add this almost a year after it's release makes no sense. Still it's free so I can't complain to much.

Also not really new as a beta of the turn-based combat was was accidentally released a few months back in one of the patches. It was quickly patched so I had no time to try it.
--
"We live in a stupid society where everything is racist and diversity/identity is our strength. I feel like humanity is lost, common sense is erased. Welcome to the United States of Idiocracy"

Couchpotato

Dreg of Society

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)

January 23rd, 2019, 05:38
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
I'm a fan of both RTwP and turn-based so no preference really. Still to decide to add this almost a year after it's release makes no sense. Still it's free so I can't complain to much.

Also not really new as a beta of the turn-based combat was was accidentally released a few months back in one of the patches. It was quickly patched so I had no time to try it.
I thought TB mode was being implemented because of the console release?
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley

purpleblob

Princess

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)

January 23rd, 2019, 05:51
Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
I thought TB mode was being implemented because of the console release?
Could be but why? As the original Pillars was also released on consoles with RTwP.
--
"We live in a stupid society where everything is racist and diversity/identity is our strength. I feel like humanity is lost, common sense is erased. Welcome to the United States of Idiocracy"

Couchpotato

Dreg of Society

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)

January 23rd, 2019, 09:31
They did it to appease the rpgcodex glut

I ll certainly try it out and curious if they have reduced the battle encounters sticking to more meaningfull ones.
--
'We should get some female zombies to join our party, right Chief?'
Morte.Like latin for Death.

Sardanapal

I like mud wrestling

January 23rd, 2019, 09:48
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Could be but why? As the original Pillars was also released on consoles with RTwP.
I also suspect this is connected to consoles release. Perhaps they realized RTwP doesnt work well with controller after they released PoE? So this might be attempt to get bigger audience on consoles for Deadfire? Dunno, but I personally wouldnt even try RtWP with consoles controller.

Andrew23

Sentinel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

January 23rd, 2019, 09:53
Anyway, Im gonna definitely try this. If they somehow re-designed encounters it might be greatest thing since ToEE (combat wise). Somewhat thrilled about it actually.

Andrew23

Sentinel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Pillars of Eternity II - Going Turn Based January 24th