What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

I liked Force Awakens :)

I'm not sure why you need to quote approval ratings.

Your opinion can't stand alone or?

Anyway, it's just a matter of personal preferences, nothing more and nothing less.

If we went by approval ratings - then the vast majority of Disney movies would be masterpieces.

Well, they're masterpieces of sound business, but…..

Which translates to you not really relying on your brain - and now we all understand some of your statements ;)

j/k

Just kidding eh? Somehow I doubt that “New” Dart who remarkably appears as condescending as the old Dart. Try rereading the posts and focus on the “most people” question you asked and how reviews and sales might be correlated to the idea of “most people”.

Just kidding eh? Somehow I doubt that “New” Dart who remarkably appears as condescending as the old Dart. Try rereading the posts and focus on the “most people” question you asked and how reviews and sales might be correlated to the idea of “most people”.

I was talking about the whole sentence, which didn’t make sense.

As for crying over something so trivial and insisting it’s serious, I see Todd is as whiny as ever :)

Oh, for fuck sake - are you determined to make every thread twatty?

Since Rogue One was worthless experience

I thought it was pretty enjoyable. I actually liked it a bit more than the actual first film (force awakens) of this new trilogy. Force awakens wasn't bad and I had a fun time watching it, but it lacked a focus a bit. The rogue one actually felt even more like the good old star wars films to me. I quess it was more complete experience. :)

Let's face it. Nothing is going to beat the feel of the original trilogy. But i'd rather get lost in a new Star Wars story then most of the other movies out these days. As Mark Hamill puts it, these are meant to be fun escapism movies, entertainment to give us a couple hours break from the horrors of the real world.

I think once people stop expecting Kubrick masterpieces for every episode, then they can enjoy them.

Let's face it. Nothing is going to beat the feel of the original trilogy. But i'd rather get lost in a new Star Wars story then most of the other movies out these days. As Mark Hamill puts it, these are meant to be fun escapism movies, entertainment to give us a couple hours break from the horrors of the real world.

I think once people stop expecting Kubrick masterpieces for every episode, then they can enjoy them.

Yet you gave Last Jedi 9/10 :)

I rarely go in expecting much from Hollywood movies.

Unfortunately, for me, a movie doesn't get better because it's not meant to get better. I wish it worked that way, for me, but it doesn't.

If I say a movie is not very good - it's not to get "back at it" or because I deserved a great movie. There's only one reason I say it - and that's that it wasn't very good. To me, that is.

I liked Force Awakens - because it felt like a Star Wars movie - and I can still feel the warmth of the first Star Wars movies in my heart. It's not because it was a particularly good movie, but because it brought me back in a good way.

That's me.

I didn't care much for Rogue One - because it didn't feel like a Star Wars movie - and it also wasn't a particularly good movie. I felt the story was incredibly thin and stretched out - and too on the nose as well with about zero creative surprises or twists. There was little or no Star Wars "magic" - and I've always been more interested in Jedis and the force than the rebel alliance itself.

I did like the ending, though :)

That's also me.

Some people have a harder time accepting that others disagree with them - and they try to make some kind of rule where they must be wrong (like pointing out approval ratings or that the movies aren't supposed to be something special) - or claim that they might have seen the movies in the "wrong way" - and that's ok.

I don't think like that. I think we all have things we like for reasons that are beyond our ability to correlate easily very often. It's like trying to correlate why I like ice cream and someone else doesn't

Now, if someone tells me they think ice cream tastes like shit - I don't take it personally. I don't mind that they put it like that, because that was their experience. They're not attacking me - they're attacking ice cream.

Personally, I have a very easy time accepting that other people have different preferences without making them out to be wrong. I can question their reasons when they don't make sense on the surface, but I would never take their opinions personally. I also have a very easy time giving my opinion with no filter.

Otherwise, I might have suggested that some people actually decide whether a movie is good or not before they go see it - and they're going to let that opinion dominate and look for every way to validate it because they WANT it to be good that much - unless the experience is so poor as to make it impossible.

But, even if it seems plausible to me sometimes - I refuse to go that way. That's too easy. That's not giving people much of a chance to have perfectly valid reasons to enjoy what I didn't. But I understand the temptation.

Anyway, that's all.

Now, can we get back on topic please.

Yet you gave Last Jedi 9/10 :)

I sure did! Because I was that entertained!

oS3Qd2AZZ-620x396.png

Saw Last Jedi. Maybe I am old now days but it just a silly movie and I just didn't care for anything or anyone! Its fun watch in the cinema for the spectacle that it is while checking twitter on the phone but thats it! Its as good as a "good" Micheal Bay movie!

No one is expecting masterpiece here but good action movies can also make you care. This is just a forgettable time pass like all new Star wars movies. Sad really...

Saw Last Jedi. Maybe I am old now days but it just a silly movie and I just didn't care for anything or anyone! Its fun watch in the cinema for the spectacle that it is while checking twitter on the phone but thats it! Its as good as a "good" Micheal Bay movie!

No one is expecting masterpiece here but good action movies can also make you care. This is just a forgettable time pass like all new Star wars movies. Sad really…

How does it compare to Force Awakens?

You'll maybe like it, but if @lostforever; is right about caring part... I'll definetly hate it.

Enough talk about bad movies! ;)

I've watched two surprising movies lately.

Shot Caller
The kingslayer from GoT plays a gangster named Money. Two timelines are shown parallel. One shows the successful banker having some bad luck, going to prison and being in need of protection. Which can only be provided by the AB, and comes at a price. He transforms more and more while he rises through the ranks.
The other arc is him - now an AB captain and a cold blooded gangster - getting out of prison. He is forced to arrange a big deal for some Austrian and Russian hardware. The cops already know about the deal though. He gets under pressure from all sides.
That's a good movie with an oscar-worthy performance by the kingslayer. Not much action, but when it happens it's raw and realistic. The social criticism isn't as developed as it could be. The atmosphere is fine though and the film interesting. The ending is a bit too mainstream, but at least they found a nice twist.

Revolt
Imagine a wild mix between War of the Worlds and a road movie with a lot of action, playing in South Africa. The setting is fresh, the rather unknown lead actor surprisingly capable and the f/x much better than the 4M$ budget would suggest. The DP worked with Roland Emmerich, so Revolt looks good.
This is an enjoyable ride through a very pragmatic movie. The director concentrates on small scale action and only describes the global situation. The smaller stuff is well done though, while the story is standard stuff and a certain twist is telegraphed from a mile away.
I think it was worth my time.

Last edited:
Last Jedi. I was glad when it was over. A lot of scene and character bloat - reminded me of the Hobbit movies in that respect. There was some good stuff but it needs about a third of it cut. So many escapes from the jaws of certain defeat it becomes farcical. They made Luke into something rather pathetic. Overall, disappointing. I much preferred Rogue One tbh.

Watched the Last Jedi as well last Sunday. I would rate it between Force Awakens and Rogue One (the latter I thought was quite enjoyable).

It wasn't bad, there were some interesting twists and good moments, though the plot in general left me kinda cold. I had hoped to learn more about how the First Order came to be and where the hell this Snoke dude comes from, and came away disappointed on that front.
Also: Kylo Ren is a whiny, little bitch.

The Last Jedi, Wow what an absolute mess of a movie. The worst in the series by far.

I was expecting it to be one of those SW movies that ""everyone"" says is bad and silly etc but that i enjoy because i can get out my inner child and just enjoy it for what it is (i did enjoy the prequels, a lot even). But this was just tasteless and uninteresting in too many ways and overall not a very fun ride even (visually etc).

Why did they use this nobody of a director in the first place, Disney is so wealthy they could have gotten anyone but chooses a total nobody and hope for the best? They could have gotten the directors of Star Wars Rebels or Clone Wars TV-series and they could have gotten something very creative, smart and most of all fun (i rank those TV series WAY above those last 3 movies, though Rogue One was decent). A single, random episode of Clone Wars is better directed than this mess.

Kylo Ren is great (best character they've come up with for the last movies), that's about it.. Rey is super boring same for Finn and the totally boring BB-8 who has zero personality in comparison to e.g SW Rebel's "Chopper" or K-2SO from Rogue One.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom