|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » PoE, D:OS, and WL2: Comparison/Contrast

View Poll Results - Which of the three do you like best?

Divinity: Original Sin 24 40.00%
Wasteland 2 8 13.33%
Pillars of Eternity 28 46.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Default PoE, D:OS, and WL2: Comparison/Contrast

December 9th, 2017, 03:13
PoE2 better let me turn that camera around! Though it would be even better if I could… you know… zoom in and see the world from the character's perspective?
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

December 9th, 2017, 10:09
Originally Posted by NewDArt View Post
You must have played a different PoE than I did
The funny thing is that when I read what I wrote about PoE the first time I played it says: Poor character building, messy combat, classes and stats feel boring etc.

I've no idea what changed in two years, but the experience was hugely different now.
Last edited by TomRon; December 9th, 2017 at 14:43.

TomRon

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
+1:

December 28th, 2017, 01:40
Woo I'm in the tiny minority.

First point, for me Dragonfall beat them all three, and I don't care it is quite smaller.

Second point Wasteland 2 DC is my vote, not Wasteland 2 vanilla.

Third point why:

Writing:
DoS has a weird almost crap writing, that's a huge burden, PoE writing has many laborious parts rather tedious, WL2 is solid on that, much better than both, Dragonfall even better.

Combats:
Sure DOS has a cool combat system alas combats design don't follow, too many combats are a groups of enemies thrown somewhere without much design. PoE well I prefer a lot Tyranny combats should I comment more? WL2 has plenty combats with a polished design, many don't use a flat area as two other including DOS, cover system provide a much better tool base to tune the design of each combat and make them different. Dragonfall is even better than all, all combats are well tuned, there's a lot of depth and possibilities.

Party building:
DOS looks complex on that matter until you reach level 10 and dig more the system, then you realize it's very limited because of many aspects, attributes design and skills schools design. PoE is from far the best of all for depth and diversity. WL2 vanilla was a half disaster, party creation was rather interesting but past that not much. But Wasteland 2 DC changes all, with some additions then the party building is very interesting, more than DOS, more or less on par with Dragonfall, but clearly doesn't match PoE on that aspect.

Exploration of a world:
PoE screwed up any single wild area, and failed create a world feeling. DOS didn't even tried create a world feeling only a collection of small areas. Dragonfall tried nothing on that aspect. WL2 is the only one that achieved create a world feeling, at least much better than all other.

Depth of exploration:
PoE did well only for some or most dungeons, and the big town, that's short. For sure DOS is unbeatable for first areas but past that the quality drops hugely, it's not bad from far but other areas don't compare well to most WL2 areas on that aspect. Dragonfall did well but it's missions so can't be compared to other on that aspect.

Quests:
There's good, great and weak for all. DOS has probably the better achievement through the puzzling, quests mechanisms, and choices on how achieve goals. PoE is uneven, WL2 in the same boat. Dragonfall is a bit special with the hub and missions design.

C&C:
DOS is plain awful on consequences, they tried so much allow kill any NpC that to avoid budget skyrocketing all the writing is done to avoid consequences of any actions. This avoid bugs and open to players many paths on how achieve goals. At end it's still a game very weak on consequences. WL2 and PoE don't do a fantastic job in that matter but much better than DOS. Dragonfall multiply small consequences and added a few major with great choices deeply linked to interesting topic, overall the best of the four on that matter.

And so on, but that's not the point, the point is more simple:
1. Dragonfall
2. Wasteland 2 DC
3. DOS
3. PoE

:-)

But don't be wrong I have big hopes for PoE2 I pledged.

Dasale

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
+1:

December 28th, 2017, 02:02
Interesting takes. Wasteland 2 was the game I really, really wanted to come out on top. While I enjoyed it, I just can't bring myself to claim to have liked it anywhere near as much as the other two. Perhaps when I finally get back to them I will find that my opinion/perspective has changed, as it apparently has for others upon replay. The game doesn't change (unless patched), but you do, and so your experience does as well. It took years for Arcanum to connect with me, but upon my third install of it, I couldn't stop playing it.

As for Dragonfall, it is in my Steam collection, and one of these days I will get to it as well…

rossrjensen

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

December 28th, 2017, 02:13
You can play Dragonfall and not the other in the series. It should be around 30H or less so it won't steal too much of your time if you don't replay.

WL2 and Dragonfall are the only one I played twice fully, for WL2 one play was with vanilla and the second with DC, the two other failed, even DOS EE.

Dasale

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

December 28th, 2017, 02:59
I finished Wasteland 2 twice. When it first came out and then the EE edition.

I played DOS twice. Did not finish either time. 2nd play thru only lasted 20 hours.

PoE was only played once. I lasted around 25 hours for that. Have had no desire to try and play it again.

For me Wasteland is the easy winner. I would place Lords of Xulima 2nd on this list. I'm biased though. I gave a lot of $$ to the Wasteland Kickstarter and Wasteland, back in 1988, was one of my favorite games of all time.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

December 28th, 2017, 03:48
I started out with a bias too, as Fallout is my favorite game. I threw some money at all of the Kickstarters, got three copies of WL 2 in it. I hope to have my mind changed next time I try it out.

rossrjensen

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin Donor

December 28th, 2017, 09:14
WL2 was boring as hell after around the halfway mark, at least to me. Combat was great, but that was about it. I especially hated that you had to sit there and watch 2-3 skill bars go up to get to a loot chest with another 3 bullets in it - which was essentially all the game had to offer in terms of map exploration. Terrible skill bloat full of redundancy.

Story started out well enough, but the game turned into repetition soon enough.

Not a fan of PoE as such, but found it a lot more compelling aside from the atrocious combat system.

DOS2 is miles ahead of both, though I agree the writing is sometimes plagued by awkward humor. Also, it has sublime cooperative gameplay which is always a lot more fun than going alone.

NewDArt

Mentioned: Post(s)

May 11th, 2018, 04:27
Now that POE2 is out, I think it's an appropriate time to bring this thread back and see how people think it compares with the incredible Original Sin 2. I have only fired up POE2 and gone through the character creation and intro sequence, but I am pretty excited to dive it.

However, before I do, I still need to finish OS2. I love OS2 and have 118 hours in it now according to Steam, but life sometimes gets in the way of me making significant progress. I am in the final act and believe I am close, just need to take it home.

How about all of you, any early impressions? Comparisons?

rossrjensen

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin Donor

May 11th, 2018, 12:40
Hum. Shouldn't we wait for WL3 ?

Anyway it looks like the sequels of the sequels are a big improvement over the sequels.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

May 11th, 2018, 13:46
We shouldn't. WL3 is MMO. Others aren't.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)

May 11th, 2018, 14:57
Original Sin (and Original Sin 2) are also MMO. After all both of them also allow co-op. Maybe we should exclude them all and then that will only leave POE.

Originally Posted by joxer View Post
We shouldn't. WL3 is MMO. Others aren't.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

May 11th, 2018, 15:28
No. Those two are not MMOs.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)

May 11th, 2018, 16:54
How on earth do you know what style a game favours before it is even released? Wasteland three might have some multiplayer elements, but I don't think it is even close to being an online game, since the second had none of that garbage.

I mean, even if you are simply going by what you see or read, the product isn't out yet, so many elements could change.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

May 11th, 2018, 17:48
He is confused.

Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
How on earth do you know what style a game favours before it is even released? Wasteland three might have some multiplayer elements, but I don't think it is even close to being an online game, since the second had none of that garbage.

I mean, even if you are simply going by what you see or read, the product isn't out yet, so many elements could change.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

May 12th, 2018, 18:16
Originally Posted by you View Post
Hum. Shouldn't we wait for WL3 ?

Anyway it looks like the sequels of the sequels are a big improvement over the sequels.
For a complete comparison/contrast, for sure. I don't see any harm in gathering early impressions though.

rossrjensen

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin Donor

Tags
divinity, divinity original sin, pillars of eternity, wasteland 2
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » PoE, D:OS, and WL2: Comparison/Contrast