Gothic Remake - Close to the Original - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gothic Remake - Close to the Original

Default Gothic Remake - Close to the Original

August 4th, 2020, 19:48
I only see the plus side of this remake, It brings more players to the Gothic universe and might mean more original sequels if it sells. You just have to ignore the old fan-base.

See when you want to maximize profit off remakes or new games in old IP you don't cater the the older fan-base. They will never be happy no matter what you do.
--
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." & "What is the secret to eternal happiness? To not argue with fools."
Last edited by Couchpotato; August 10th, 2020 at 07:39.
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Armchair Contrarian

#21

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Failed Nation States of America
Posts: 26,997
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

August 4th, 2020, 20:10
Originally Posted by Lucky Day View Post
Tried playing the first two but I quit. Controls are absurd for one thing and hype for it here is over the top, especially regarding the graphics. Couldn't even target and hit anything from what I remember.

If they straighten that out maybe I'll give this remake a try if it gets finished.
You can't hit anything in the beginning of Gothic, because you have to learn it first. It is an RPG, so you have to learn your skills. Then you need the right equipment - you have to work for it.
Only then you should try to run through the woods and fight.

The controls are not common, but really easy to master once you get used to them.
HiddenX is offline

HiddenX

HiddenX's Avatar
The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#22

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NRW/Germany
Posts: 14,255
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)

Default 

August 4th, 2020, 20:52
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
You just have to ignore the old fan-base.
Great recipe for disaster there… why wold you say this? just for controversy?
Strafe is offline

Strafe

Strafe's Avatar
Sentinel
Original Sin 2 Donor

#23

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 319
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

August 4th, 2020, 20:56
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
So sayeth a troll. Come back when you can speak more coherently..
I enjoyed the Risen games and even Elex. Seems everything PB makes will be compared to Gothic. Newsflash you'll never see another Gothic. Time has moved on.

Also the developers of Gothic have officially stated they have no desire to make more.
No add that with a bad UI and controls you get the picture.

Enough said I'll be attacked by rabid fanboys again.
Oh for me you can enjoy whatever you want

I really loved the Gothic series and Elex. I found the Risen atmosphere less interesting and didn't even finish Risen 3.

I think the graphics have aged horribly for Gothic, but I did enjoy replaying parts of Gothic 2 NOTR last year. I played until Chapter 4 I think and then knew it would become pretty linear so I stopped.

I should try again as a mage in G2 as I have never done that path…
Pladio is offline

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

#24

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,339
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)

Default 

August 4th, 2020, 20:57
Originally Posted by Strafe View Post
Great recipe for disaster there… why wold you say this? just for controversy?
No for the truth old fans are not where the money is anymore. I've been told the same from multiple developers before for stating my opinion. Especially by BioWare.
--
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." & "What is the secret to eternal happiness? To not argue with fools."
Last edited by Couchpotato; August 5th, 2020 at 07:33.
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Armchair Contrarian

#25

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Failed Nation States of America
Posts: 26,997
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)

Default 

August 4th, 2020, 21:11
Well many seem to avoid that I also wrote I enjoyed the whole series myself. I'm just saying the first two have not aged well. That's blasphemy on this forum.

Heck I even said I enjoyed Arcania which most old-timers here hated with a passion. Anyway my final post I want more modern Gothic games nuff said moving on.
--
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." & "What is the secret to eternal happiness? To not argue with fools."
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Armchair Contrarian

#26

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Failed Nation States of America
Posts: 26,997
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)

Default 

August 4th, 2020, 21:26
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Well many seem to avoid that I also wrote I enjoyed the whole series myself. I'm just saying the first two have not aged well. That's blasphemy on this forum.

Heck I even said I enjoyed Arcania which most old-timers here hated with a passion. Anyway my final post I want more modern Gothic games nuff said moving on.
I never tried it (Arcania). Is it worth it ?
Pladio is offline

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

#27

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,339
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)

Default 

August 4th, 2020, 21:35
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
I never tried it (Arcania). Is it worth it ?
If you play it with an open mind its not like the older Gothic's you might. It takes place after the nameless hero in part three has gone crazy. It didn't help it was incomplete.

They basically released the ending city as an expansion.

Here a quote from a site that reviewed it without bias.
So, Is It Worth A Shot Now?

Arcania: Gothic 4 is as simple and generic as they come. It’s also fun once you accept it for what is it. If you expect an experience on par with something like Dragon Age, Diablo or Zelda, it will fall so short of those expectations it will make Molyneux’s Fable claims seem modest. Arcania is basically a B movie action RPG; it’s not particularly great, but there are people who will find things to enjoy about it. There are several better action RPGs out there, but sometimes a generic fantasy world isn’t a terrible setting for a game. This one can be found for cheap nowadays, and as long as the expectations are kept to a minimum, it can be an unremarkable and forgettable but enjoyable title.
--
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." & "What is the secret to eternal happiness? To not argue with fools."
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Armchair Contrarian

#28

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Failed Nation States of America
Posts: 26,997
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)

Default 

August 4th, 2020, 22:08
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Well many seem to avoid that I also wrote I enjoyed the whole series myself. I'm just saying the first two have not aged well. That's blasphemy on this forum.
It's not blasphemy, it's just your opinion, but you're beating it to death. I'm pretty sure everyone here gets it by now.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#29

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 30,738
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

August 4th, 2020, 22:09
Then they need to stop quoting me bro. Simple as that.



Or simply put me on ignore. It's very easy to do so.
--
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." & "What is the secret to eternal happiness? To not argue with fools."
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Armchair Contrarian

#30

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Failed Nation States of America
Posts: 26,997
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)

Default 

August 5th, 2020, 01:08
If it’s too close to the original, mainly the terrible controls, then I won’t play it.

sakichop

Guest

#31

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)

Default 

August 5th, 2020, 05:02
I really liked the first Gothic, and the second too (which i finished a few months ago). After that, i started 3, but i dont like it. Risen 1, i loved it (for my taste very similar to Gothic 1), and played the demo of the remake, and in my machine it runs horrible, so much lag and stuttering. Sadly, i started to play it with high hopes, but it was… like something so different of Gothic. But i dont judge the ones who liked it, and the people who doesnt like the Gothic series, i think it´s all different tastes.
Ziroth is offline

Ziroth

Traveler

#32

Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

August 5th, 2020, 13:53
I really loved the German voice actors in this game = Original Gothic 1. That's why I played selecting the German language.
mercy is offline

mercy

mercy's Avatar
SasqWatch

#33

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,946
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

Default 

August 5th, 2020, 14:52
I have fond memories of playing the original Gothic. But one thing I remember being very disappointed about, but also found a little funny, is that whenever your character tried to talk to a woman in the game, they would say something like "Sssshhh! You're not allowed to talk to us!" I hope it isn't going to be like that in the remake.
The Hulk is offline

The Hulk

The Hulk's Avatar
Watchdog

#34

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

August 5th, 2020, 18:10
I really, really think the love of G1 & 2 is a case of "you had to be there."

I tried them out about 10 years ago and found them to have certain charms, but overall were a chore to play and ugly to look at. Yes, the games have some good aspects. I'm not saying they are trash or without merit. Some good exploration. I liked that armor was difficult to obtain and therefore very precious.

But it seems the hardcore fans (and the fans of these games are specifically Hard Core) experienced it at a certain age and found a kind of magic in them that someone approaching them for the first time these days just will not find. The NPCs are ugly and all look sort of the same. And there's just a weird design aspect to these games that is completely bonkers… Maybe it's a bad translation (I played them in English) but for example, near the very start of the game: You approach a farm with a couple of farmers. They tell you the giant bugs in the area have been a "nuisance." These giant bugs are so close to this conversation that you can see them in the background. Approach these giant bugs—which are just a stone's throw from the farm—and it's basically an insta-kill for the player. These are extremely deadly monsters that bop around the perimeter of the farmstead and are meant to be returned to later to vanquish (unless you are already a very seasoned player).

What a nuisance! OK, this is just one example. But there's so much stuff like this in the game. These games are described as "immersive" because you need to write down the names of the ugly, brown/gray NPCs and their locations just to remember who the hell you spoke to for a quest ("no hand-holding!"). Meanwhile, you are carrying 16 sets of swords, 22 bows, 150 pieces of ore, 13 pickaxes, etc etc. Your helper NPCs are immortal and will revive from any injury—eventually. There's just so many weird design decisions in these games. Plus the controls are just terrible. Can you adapt to the weird controls and beat the game? YES. But that doesn't make combat and controls "good."

They are just weird games that meant a lot to certain people at specific times in their lives. And PB has been remaking essentially the same game under different names for decades now.

Because the fan base is so rabidly Pro-Gothic… I actually recommend newcomers to try these games out. They are weird, clunky artifacts from a long time ago. They are not "terrible" games, but I recommend people play them just to get a sense of how nutcase the Gothic/Risen/Elex fanbase really is.
FizzyShellfish is offline

FizzyShellfish

Watchdog

#35

Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default 

August 5th, 2020, 19:11
I have never written anything down for Gothic games, because each game area is very unique and easy to remember.
If you really play the game you have to sell everything in your inventory to get the next equipment or training session. New complete overhauls are fun to play even in 2020.
HiddenX - a Gothic nutcase who played Gothic 1, 2, 3 several times and a lot of mods as well.
HiddenX is offline

HiddenX

HiddenX's Avatar
The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#36

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NRW/Germany
Posts: 14,255
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)

Default 

August 5th, 2020, 20:38
Originally Posted by FizzyShellfish View Post
I really, really think the love of G1 & 2 is a case of "you had to be there."
It's not. I've talked to lots of people who didn't play those games until years after release and loved them. I've also talked to people who played them at release and didn't like them.

Personally, I believe all games are more enjoyable when they're not outdated, but I think the Gothics have aged a lot better than many 3D games from that era.
Originally Posted by FizzyShellfish View Post
But it seems the hardcore fans (and the fans of these games are specifically Hard Core) experienced it at a certain age and found a kind of magic in them that someone approaching them for the first time these days just will not find. The NPCs are ugly and all look sort of the same. And there's just a weird design aspect to these games that is completely bonkers… Maybe it's a bad translation (I played them in English) but for example, near the very start of the game: You approach a farm with a couple of farmers. They tell you the giant bugs in the area have been a "nuisance." These giant bugs are so close to this conversation that you can see them in the background. Approach these giant bugs—which are just a stone's throw from the farm—and it's basically an insta-kill for the player. These are extremely deadly monsters that bop around the perimeter of the farmstead and are meant to be returned to later to vanquish (unless you are already a very seasoned player).
Kind of a weak complaint to be honest. It's almost as if you're reaching for things to nitpick about. I don't think I've ever played a game that didn't have something that was a little odd or immersion breaking at some point.

It's like in the newer Fallout games when you have a building full of Super Mutants located right across the street from a building full of raiders or some other faction that they'd be fighting if they were in the environment. There's always going to be a suspension of disbelief at some point in open-world games.
Originally Posted by FizzyShellfish View Post
These games are described as "immersive" because you need to write down the names of the ugly, brown/gray NPCs and their locations just to remember who the hell you spoke to for a quest ("no hand-holding!").
Never experienced that nor have I ever seen anyone say that before. Are you sure you don't just have a shitty memory?
Originally Posted by FizzyShellfish View Post
Plus the controls are just terrible. Can you adapt to the weird controls and beat the game? YES. But that doesn't make combat and controls "good."
It doesn't make them good just like your failure to adapt to them doesn't make them terrible. It took me all of maybe 20 minutes to be ok with them. Besides, It was only Gothic 1 that had that uncommon control scheme anyways. Every game they've made since then uses the same modern controls.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#37

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 30,738
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

August 5th, 2020, 20:59
I enjoyed Gothic 2 the most of the various PiranhaBytes games I played, but I've found all of them clunky and fairly ugly from the start. That's not and never has been their strength. At this point, I'm not sure they have a strength because the storytelling and world building hasn't improved enough. Greedfall kinda felt to me like an evolution of the Piranhabytes game.
JFarrell71 is online now

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

#38

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,255
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)

Default 

August 5th, 2020, 21:12
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
I enjoyed Gothic 2 the most of the various PiranhaBytes games I played, but I've found all of them clunky and fairly ugly from the start. That's not and never has been their strength. At this point, I'm not sure they have a strength because the storytelling and world building hasn't improved enough. Greedfall kinda felt to me like an evolution of the Piranhabytes game.
Eh? I didn't find Greedfall much like a PB game at all. Not that it doesn't have its own merits, but it's not strong in the same areas that I think are important to fans of PB games like exploration and itemization.

In fact, I think hoping that it might be like a PB game was one of the things that made it somewhat disappointing to me. It ended up being more Bioware than PB.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#39

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 30,738
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)

Default 

August 5th, 2020, 21:56
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Eh? I didn't find Greedfall much like a PB game at all. Not that it doesn't have its own merits, but it's not strong in the same areas that I think are important to fans of PB games like exploration and itemization.

In fact, I think hoping that it might be like a PB game was one of the things that made it somewhat disappointing to me. It ended up being more Bioware than PB.
Just my impression of the overall feel and look of the respective games. Janky action combat, visual quality, things like that. I'll give you the fact that GF lacked exploration and it's not similar in that respect. It didn't feel anything like any of the many Bioware games I've played, though. Maybe it's somewhat of a hybrid.
JFarrell71 is online now

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

#40

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,255
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gothic Remake - Close to the Original
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:42.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch